Yeah, OK a bit of a whinge and a laugh.... Qantas Money card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JennyMG

Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Have had a QFF card since 2010, and got my first Qantas Cash card not long after.
Apparently it expired without me realising, and I activated it before I realised it was expired. (how that can happen I'll never know.) Didn't realise I was activating a card that I actually didn't have. Yet. - huh?
Rang up for a new one. (Why didn't they send an email, or a new card, or some sort of 'your card is expiring do you want a new one? before the old one died?)
So there's an activated 'new' card flying around in cyberspace somewhere, one that I DO want, but that I never ordered... but wait...there's more.

So I ring again..."where is this phantom card?"
"I see youhave an activated card, I'll cancel it."
me: "No no, please don't, It has no money on it, and I don't want to have to ring you up again."
"I want to suspend it ma'am so someone can't tap and go."
"Well they can tap all they like, but there isn't any funds on it...so...."
"As long as you understand we are not liable for any use of your funds."
"I accept you are not liable for my zero balance, that's on me,....:confused:.... so where exactly is this phantom card, that I didn't order, wasn't offered, but accidentally activated, and is apparently on it's way to me??"
"You ordered it last week adn it was posted on 13th"
"The 13th was a Saturday, couldn't have posted it."
"Well we did". ....ok.
"So it should be nearly here?"
"It takes 14 business days."o_O
Me "From where? By dog sled from Antarctica?"
"no madam, from Warehouse in Sydney."
"Which is where I am, in Sydney....Can I get it quicker? ....say, by snail mail post? That would get here in 2 days."
"No maam, 14 business day."
"Ok, so not 14 regular days., or 10 business days, or two weeks,...but 14?? business days.??"
"Yes maam."
"So can I drive to the Warehouse which is in Sydney, which is where I live, and go pick one up?"
"No maam, because that is the system."
"OK, so how can I get this Qantas Money card quicker than that."
"TYou can't ma'am, you'll get it on 2nd August."
me.."What??? are you serious? It only takes 2 days to post things."
"Sorry ma'am, we can't post express."
"That's not express, that's normal."
"Sorry ma'am we just put in the postbox."
Me...where are you exactly?
"In Manilla." :mad:(not Manilla NSW where...hope on hope....I was crossing my fingers she was, I'm pretty sure, due to thick accent, Manilla Philippines.)
"O....K...."
"Is there anything else I can do for you today?"
"oh, apart from giving me an aneurism, messing up my holiday plans, and depriving me of Qantas Points?...oh, no thankyou, unless you have a scotch and soda on hand...."
"OK then, have a good day."
".......:oops:....."

The QFF card has been a Qantas Cash card since 2013, and like any other card it will have an expiry date on it at which point it will need to be reissued.

To save you some time and expense, though - don't use it, the rates are terrible. Use a decent credit card like the Bankwest World instead as it converts international charges at the Mastercard rate without additional fees, and you'll still earn QFF points. Using Qantas Cash ensures you get a worse conversion rate with higher fees, so perhaps use this experience as yet another reason not to use it.

The QFF card has been a Qantas Cash card since 2013, and like any other card it will have an expiry date on it at which point it will need to be reissued.

To save you some time and expense, though - don't use it, the rates are terrible. Use a decent credit card like the Bankwest World instead as it converts international charges at the Mastercard rate without additional fees, and you'll still earn QFF points. Using Qantas Cash ensures you get a worse conversion rate with higher fees, so perhaps use this experience as yet another reason not to use it.
Thanks33kft, .... for some of your info. I did know that credit/debit cards have expiry dates, and that they need to be reissued, ha ha ...maybe you missed my point. It was more about a funny story.
I did, however, appreciate the comment about the Bankwest world card. It's interesting to compare, and I'm still comparing. I'm very new at all this. I reckoned it like this: QTMC has no annual fee, saves $169 right there. no loading fees, so that's not a problem, no currency conversion fee for unsupported currencies, as it defaults to AUD, it earns double the QFF points (than the mastercard) on the first 2500 dollars spent, and 5x the QFF points after that 1st $2500 per month (which I'd easily do when overseas.) The exchange rate online for Aud to Euro is .62 with XE, which doesn't include any fees or charges of course, and the one on Qantas Money is 0.594 - a difference of 2.6 (or something cents) per Euro.
I'm not that clever with all this sort of thing, But what am I missing? I would have to exchange $5633aud, to be charged the same amount as the Mastercard annual fee.
I get it, I must be missing something as I am quite new to all this. It still sounds likethe Qantas money card is a good deal to me. :/ Perhaps this is not the thread todiscuss it anyway.
It was just about the story.

I only ever activated my Qantas money coard for bonus points promotions and that was in it's very early days. Subsequent bonus promotions have not been worthwhile to me.

In relation to your story, If you received a new card as statused and Qantas Club members get every year there's a new number every time and the card needs to be activated every time.

FWIW, your euro example represents an arbitrage of nearly 4.2% which make a points earn cost of 2.1¢ each.

I find the QF money card website a bit clunky, but do like the transfer points when offered, high points/AU$ on intl txns and no fees. For the amounts I do - no more than 5k - the exchange rate losses doesn’t bother me much. No matter how I do it I know I’m going to get gouged for exchange rates.
Previously my normal visa used to hit me a HEAP of intl fees per txn beyond the exchange rate. REAL ripoff. QF Premier card gives better but for oseas buying I still like the QF money card. Even for Amazon eBay etc. Also easy to tfr money to my partners QF money card. Just have to drain money out on return else you could have a lot sitting in there doing nothing. But that is also easy and free.
Also not had much luck yet changing the money card pin at a redi-atm.

I find the QF money card website a bit clunky, but do like the transfer points when offered, high points/AU$ on intl txns and no fees. For the amounts I do - no more than 5k - the exchange rate losses doesn’t bother me much. No matter how I do it I know I’m going to get gouged for exchange rates.
Previously my normal visa used to hit me a HEAP of intl fees per txn beyond the exchange rate. REAL ripoff. QF Premier card gives better but for oseas buying I still like the QF money card. Even for Amazon eBay etc. Also easy to tfr money to my partners QF money card. Just have to drain money out on return else you could have a lot sitting in there doing nothing. But that is also easy and free.
Also not had much luck yet changing the money card pin at a redi-atm.
That's a great insight.
I'm on the same page. I think I like the regular visa amplify for Aus purchases (.5 pt per $) and wouldn't use the QM card for Au things. But can't use the Visa card for intl purchases, yes, diabolical fees. We have a 28 degree mastercard that has NO intnl fees, on o/s transactions, but also no QFF points. I'm looking for something that can do the international and earn points like my visa card. I think the QMcard might be it. I want to take it overseas and use it as a travel money debit card, but also use it at home to pay for (only the) overseas currency transactions.
I don't really want ANOTHER bank's credit card.
I love how I can do ebay and amazon and booking.com and hotels etc, on the QM card for o'seas purchases and double dip.
I haven't really experience the QMC site yet, (STILL not having my damn card for another 2 weeks apparently).

Frank what do you mean that the Premier card gives better? points you mean?
I thought you can change the money card pin online. I've just looked, you're right. You have to ring or do it at a rediteller. How silly!! Gosh,I thought mine was thesame as my QFF pin. I'd better check.

I am very interested in the 'fees' and charges and rates involved if I spent money on a credit card v the same on the QFF.
That's what I was trying toillustrate above, not very successfully as I'm not that fab at the maths.

Say I wanted to buy something costing Euro 1000.
I'm trying to work out how much that would actuallyCOST me in currency conversion fees and etc, on the Qantas Money card, V if I bought it on ....say....the Bankwest Mastercard as 33kft suggested above.
The first thing...the annual fee it has. That has to say something...

Frank what do you mean that the Premier card gives better? points you mean?
Sorry, typo. I meant QF premier card gives better QFF points for local txns with no upper limit so that’s my main use for it.
My previous visa now has a points cap that I reached every month. Don’t use it much now.

I am yet to discover a good reason to ever use this card.

Sorry, typo. I meant QF premier card gives better QFF points for local txns with no upper limit so that’s my main use for it.
My previous visa now has a points cap that I reached every month. Don’t use it much now.
Yes, I agree, the Qantas premier card gives a better rate for local AUD transactions, and I applied for one, but stupid me, I wasn't careful enough with the 'detail', I should have included my husband on the application. At Qantas they don't like mother's with part time businesses, and have only one tax return for 1/2 a year of said business income. Apparently I can reapply in 3 months time. Doesn't seem to matter that I own my own home outright have no other cc debt....but anyway, that's another story.
For now I'm using my St George Visa Amplify for the homegrown txns. Cheap annual fea of only $79. 0.5 point per dollar. Not too bad when I have to buy 'stuff' anyway. That's what gave me my business class fare to rome for FREEEEEE! So happy about that.
But I'm looking for an overseas card. Something I can take to Europe, not get slugged international conversion fees like on the St. George amplify, but earn QFF as well. I don't really want another bank's card. Ihave an account with CBA but not as good as the St. George one, and still charged Int fees. 28 Deg Mastercard no int fees, but also no QFF points!! All other cards have such high annual fees, it's pointless (pardon the pun). The fees outweighing the points benefit.
Just for a holiday, I can't see a decent competitor to the QTMC just yet. (for overseas purchases ONLY)
Love to hear anyone else's point of view.

But I'm looking for an overseas card. Something I can take to Europe, not get slugged international conversion fees like on the St. George amplify, but earn QFF as well. I don't really want another bank's card. Ihave an account with CBA but not as good as the St. George one, and still charged Int fees. 28 Deg Mastercard no int fees, but also no QFF points!! All other cards have such high annual fees, it's pointless (pardon the pun). The fees outweighing the points benefit.

The Bankwest World is ideal, it's another bank's card though and they are difficult income-wise, so you might need to get your husband to apply if he is in a bit of an easier position to apply for cards.

At Qantas they don't like mother's with part time businesses

The Qantas part of it is no more than the logo on the website and the card, Qantas have nothing to do with the assessment, it's done by Citibank who administer the card on Qantas's behalf, and yes they are notoriously difficult even under simple conditions, let alone more difficult cases such as self-employment.

The Bankwest World is ideal, it's another bank's card though and they are difficult income-wise, so you might need to get your husband to apply if he is in a bit of an easier position to apply for cards.

The Qantas part of it is no more than the logo on the website and the card, Qantas have nothing to do with the assessment, it's done by Citibank who administer the card on Qantas's behalf, and yes they are notoriously difficult even under simple conditions, let alone more difficult cases such as self-employment.
You're right, of course, it's not Qantas. And I was silly to rush into applying without thinking that of COURSE they would not know the position I'm in this year and they wouldn't know what position I am in, in conjunction with my husband. It was my own fault. I should have included him. It would be more satisfactory if one was allowed to explain a little, but they ask simple questions, 'last year's tax return', for example, they are not to know my business only started last year and is in a far better position this year. I did wonder what more they could possibly want, when one has no debt, owns their own home, has two incomes...etc....but they didn't ask that, and I didn't tell. I do wonder why they don't look up credit scores. Anyway, So...note to self. My fault.

Also, I'm thinking the annual fee of the Bankwest World card would negate my benefits as I really only need it for holidays (to earn QFF points, and to purchase things overseas.) And you say Bankwest world exchange rates are near 'perfect'?...ie almost like XE or other online rates?

I do wonder why they don't look up credit scores

I suspect (without knowing specifically) that prudential requirements would require the credit provider to assess your application independently and that the only data they would find useful from the credit providers would be the raw data about your credit relationships and repayments, it's unlikely any of the financial institutions take into account the score generated by these bureaus which frankly for those of us who have been watching ours as we churn through credit cards, seems to have little basis in reality anyway (ie, going up shortly after each credit card application).

I don't think you've done anything wrong from your description but I also look at bank application processes a bit like a leaky sieve. They put in place what they do to sort the wheat from the chaff, and they know it is about 50% accurate and that's okay for them. I don't think they particularly mind rejecting good candidates for cards if it simply means they don't need to change their processes, so I wouldn't get too down about it, perhaps just treat it as a strategic endeavour and think about how you can best apply within their narrow parameters, whether it be using tax returns or other family members should they be in a simpler position to apply, within reason of course.

And you say Bankwest world exchange rates are near 'perfect'?...ie almost like XE or other online rates?

Not so much that it is perfect (which card is?), but it meets the following criteria:
  • Currency conversion at the Mastercard rate without additional fees (as with the 28 degrees card)
  • Earns QFF points on transactions
So IMHO a better option than the 28 degrees if you will use it regularly, but of course that is the rub.

Here's the detail: Bankwest Qantas World Mastercard | Qantas Frequent Flyer

You might be able to strategically take advantage of the signup bonus (90K QFF points) to essentially offset the reduced first year fee ($135), travel with the card and cancel it afterwards. $135 for 90K points is not a bad deal at all..

Not so much that it is perfect (which card is?), but it meets the following criteria:
  • Currency conversion at the Mastercard rate without additional fees (as with the 28 degrees card)
  • Earns QFF points on transactions
So IMHO a better option than the 28 degrees if you will use it regularly, but of course that is the rub.

Here's the detail: Bankwest Qantas World Mastercard | Qantas Frequent Flyer

You might be able to strategically take advantage of the signup bonus (90K QFF points) to essentially offset the reduced first year fee ($135), travel with the card and cancel it afterwards. $135 for 90K points is not a bad deal at all..
Do you know what? That's not a bad idea at all! We could use it for a couple of years,...cancel it when we're sick of travelling. (oh...like THAT'S ever going to happen." But seriously, that's a good idea.

28 Deg Mastercard no int fees, but also no QFF points!! All other cards have such high annual fees, it's pointless (pardon the pun). The fees outweighing the points benefit.

28 degrees has no annual fee and no foreign exhange fees or currency conversion fees.

Any other card, annual fee or not, that charges you ~4% for foreign currency transaction (either to pre-laod like Qantas money, or at the time of the transaction, like a credit card), is very unlikely to give you a cost or points advantage.

In almost all fee charging situations, you are getting a very poor deal. The money you save in your pocket with 28 degrees will get you a trip far quicker than spending on a card that earns points (excluding any one-off bonus deals).

The Qantas cash card says there are no conversion fees, but that's because they sold you the initial foreign curreency at such a terrible rate!

We've got the 28 degree, it's great but I'd like to earn points if poss, not at cost however.
So applying for the bankwest card - jointly with husband, that should take care of the application, the annual fee well covered by the bonus points which we should be able to earn with payments, and use their complimentary travel insurance which will put us way ahead on the $ - per q point scale.
Very happy. Thank you everyone for your excellent advice.

I received the Qantas Money card out of the blue today. I presume it was renewing a long forgotten card.

I agree the Bankwest cards are great value with zero transactions fees and the insurance and QF points

Mastercard has a calculator page that allows one to convert foreign expenditure to any credit card home currency including provision to enter transaction fee percentages.

As of this afternoon Qantas money web page shows $1000 will give you 533 GB pounds purchasing power.

A card with 3% transaction fees would give you 546 pounds spending power.

Bankwest Mastercard OR 98 degrees (both with 0% fees) would give you 562 pounds spending power.

I received the Qantas Money card out of the blue today. I presume it was renewing a long forgotten card.

I agree the Bankwest cards are great value with zero transactions fees and the insurance and QF points

Mastercard has a calculator page that allows one to convert foreign expenditure to any credit card home currency including provision to enter transaction fee percentages.

As of this afternoon Qantas money web page shows $1000 will give you 533 GB pounds purchasing power.

A card with 3% transaction fees would give you 546 pounds spending power.

Bankwest Mastercard OR 98 degrees (both with 0% fees) would give you 562 pounds spending power.
Ok, I’m pretty surprised by that. To be honest I don’t really get time to dig into the cards much, even though I should. Do ok from them but clearly can do better. I’ll dig into the ones mentioned a bit more I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back