Why is Qantas bread always borderline stale?

Discussion in 'Qantas Frequent Flyer Program' started by Soundguy, Mar 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Soundguy

Soundguy Member

Jun 15, 2006
    Rudd's Banana Republic
    I have often pondered why Qantas have this fixation for serving semi stale bread rolls; genuine 'rock buns' if you like. Not only in the Qantas Club but also on the flights often.

OK, perhaps I am being unreasonable but I wonder how hard can it be to serve fresh..... or even to defrost some frozen rolls and serve them? Do they have a room somewhere were they age the rolls for a day prior to serving? Or do they buy at a specially discounted price? Perhaps they think it is trendy?

One of lifes mysteries I guess!

2. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    IIRC, already the majority of in-flight catered bread is frozen and defrosted for serving.

3. Evan

Evan Established Member

Dec 26, 2006
    SIN / MEL
    Bread frozen and then unfrozed is always like that, and often bread being out in airconditioned air with little moisture will get that way very quickly.

Could still be better than the bread use by BA when when made up and packed can become a little soggy depending on what they put between it, but the cheese and bacon and the chicken one i had last trip was rather tasty.

E

4. Soundguy

Soundguy Member

Jun 15, 2006
    Rudd's Banana Republic
    But their croissants aren't too bad generally. Seeing as food is rather scarce in the QP's it would be nice if what they did have was nice. I hate to think of the QP alcohol costs, must be several times the food costs.

BTW 'unfrozed' is a really cool word, one of the greaterest ever! ;)

5. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    The high fat content of croissants keeps them from drying out much.

AFAIK, Airlines do not pay any Excise duty or GST on in-flight catering (perhaps QP's as well), so the booze cost may not be that much.

6. poppet

poppet Intern

May 2, 2006
    Adelaide
    I wondered the same thing when I was eating the ham, cheese & lettuce roll I was served last week ... then I looked at the use-by date .... something 2008! Made me wonder how long the "fresh" roll had been frozen for.

7. Evan

Evan Established Member

Dec 26, 2006
    SIN / MEL
    Same with my cherry muffin i was served the other day, i saw the usedby date and thought thats strange, either lots of preservatives like McD's hamburgers or frozen, but in reality it must be frozen.

E

8. bigjobs

bigjobs Active Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Nah, preservative it is E. sorry mate ;)

9. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    And the lack of perishable ingredients such as food :p .

10. Evan

Evan Established Member

Dec 26, 2006
    SIN / MEL
    They can really keep a muffin fresh using preservatives for 12 months ! maybe i shouldn't have eaten it, but it did actually taste nice.

E

11. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    And just think how well preserved your inners will be after eating so many of them :D

12. Evan

Evan Established Member

Dec 26, 2006
    SIN / MEL
    Is that why frequest flyers are so well 'preserved', i guess the hosties don't eat the airline food ;)

(I actually saw them prepare themself some 2 minute noodles on a flight the other day instead of eating airline food, but i guess they also get what the rest of the plane doesn't want to eat, and we don't want to eat on of the choices i imagine they feel the same way)

E

13. Shano

Shano Established Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    As in pickled - hic.... ;)

14. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Actually, if you check the box they come in you will find the muffins being referred to are indeed frozen after packaging; then get defrosted for serving.

15. Altair

Altair Active Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Wellington
    On a QF NZ Domestic flight they had to apologise that they could not serve their muffin snack as it had not sufficently defrosted enough for them to serve and the trip was not long enough for the ovens to finish the job.

16. bigjobs

bigjobs Active Member

Jun 4, 2005
    who cares ...

17. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I think some of the ice creams they serve could do with some defrosting. I think I am going to break a tooth one of these days.

18. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    On SQ I always find I have to leave it for 10 minutes to soften.

19. Altair

Altair Active Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Wellington
    We should start a thread on how to eat an airline meal.

For me the firs thing I do is heat the bread by cutting in half and putting it on the foiled hot meal. If hte butter is still cold I do the same thing.
    Then eat the salad.
    Go to the hot meal and with the bread, butter it up and leave it to the side as it is still flavourless and stale.;) Or you could dip it in the Balsamic and Olive oil mix, or be European/Australian and slop up the sauce from whatever they served you as a meal....

20. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    My process is very similar, except I then pull out my sachet or mini jar of Vegemite and add a liberal coating to hide the stale taste of the bread.

Hmm, now will security staff classify my Vegemite as a paste and require it to be carried in the clear resealable bag along with my toothpaste and deodorant? Now that could be interesting at a TSA checkpoint in the LOTFAP.