Which Passport to Use? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Which Passport to Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cssaus

Active Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2004
Messages
923
My daughter is heading off in a few weeks time, travelling thru Japan, USA & Europe. She'll have with her both an Australian Passport and a British (EU) Passport.

I've suggested to her that going into and out of Japan she use her Aussie one and likewise going into & out of the USA.

For Europe, I'm obviously suggesting that she use her British Passport because of the easier entry and exit arrangements for EU passport holders. However, because a lot of the hostels, hotels etc require a passport when checking in, I'm suggesting to her that she show her Aussie Passport and therefore just use the British Passport when crossing borders.

Can anyone see anything particularly wrong with this approach?
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
Why wouldnt she use her EU passport for everything apart from coming back into Oz?
 

Maca44

AFF Supporter
Joined
Sep 2, 2005
Messages
1,260
She should use her Australian Passport in Asia and for entry into and leaving the USA because of the Visa Waiver Program. She also needs to use her Australian passport when entering and leaving Australia, even though her EU passport would have born in Australia in it, it avoids the problem of proving that she is an Australian Citizen on her return if she does not use it when she leaves. I would use her EU (red) passport for all other times, which I guess only leaves Europe in any event.

Simongr, she might experience some problem using an EU Passport to enter the USA whereas Australians appear to be excepted better due to the Visa Waiver Program.
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
Maca44 said:
She should use her Australian Passport in Asia and for entry into and leaving the USA because of the Visa Waiver Program. She also needs to use her Australian passport when entering and leaving Australia, even though her EU passport would have born in Australia in it, it avoids the problem of proving that she is an Australian Citizen on her return if she does not use it when she leaves. I would use her EU (red) passport for all other times, which I guess only leaves Europe in any event.

Simongr, she might experience some problem using an EU Passport to enter the USA whereas Australians appear to be excepted better due to the Visa Waiver Program.
Other than for entering/leaving Australia, it will make no odds which passport is used. The UK was one of the pilot countries for the Visa Waiver Programme for the USA and is still quite definately in the programme and will cause no issues at all on entry. In Asia , it again makes no issue.

The only place , other than Australia where it is virtually a requirement, where I would recommend specifically using the Australia passport is for New Zealand since Australian Passport holders have less restrictions than UK ones

Going around Europe, the UK passport will make life easier; there are a few other places around the world where UK passports are more beneficial; e.g. going to Brazil an Australian Passport holder needs a visa costing $60 whilst a UK passport holder is admitted visa free

Dave
 

ColinP

Member
Joined
May 1, 2006
Messages
459
I'm in the same position a your daughter and only use my Aus passport to leave and enter Australia. At all other times my UK passport has served me well, including, as Dave pointed out, saving me money in Brazil and Chile. It also made it extraordinarily easy to enter French Polynesia, which was a surprise. (literally wave the red passport and walk in) You don't tend to think of Tahiti as part of the EU.
I can't comment on which one to use in the LOTFAP, as so far, I've managed to avoid travelling there.
Without becoming too political, I prefer to enter countries as a UK citizen because I have more faith in the British foreign office's ability to pull me out of the s#!t if necessary than I do in our own Foreign Affairs Dept. (not that I expect to get into any s#!t)
Witness the amount of 'help' David Hicks has received compared to his British co-accused.
 

cssaus

Active Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2004
Messages
923
Thanks for the feedback so far.

As my daughter is travelling on her own in Europe I've told her that I want her to register her itinerary with DFAT. She'd obviously be registering as an Australian so therefore I would imagine it's important that she use her Aussie Passport when registering at hostels and hotels but crossing borders then I've told her to use the EU passport for convenience sake.
 

thadocta

Active Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2003
Messages
757
ColinP said:
I'm in the same position a your daughter and only use my Aus passport to leave and enter Australia. At all other times my UK passport has served me well, including, as Dave pointed out, saving me money in Brazil and Chile. It also made it extraordinarily easy to enter French Polynesia, which was a surprise. (literally wave the red passport and walk in) You don't tend to think of Tahiti as part of the EU.
I can't comment on which one to use in the LOTFAP, as so far, I've managed to avoid travelling there.
Without becoming too political, I prefer to enter countries as a UK citizen because I have more faith in the British foreign office's ability to pull me out of the s#!t if necessary than I do in our own Foreign Affairs Dept. (not that I expect to get into any s#!t)
Witness the amount of 'help' David Hicks has received compared to his British co-accused.
This is also the reason I travel everywhere on my UK passport, using the AU passport for no other reason than entering and leaving Australia and New Zealand. I also have far more confidence in the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office than I do in the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

Dave
 

alect

Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2006
Messages
351
thadocta said:
This is also the reason I travel everywhere on my UK passport, using the AU passport for no other reason than entering and leaving Australia and New Zealand. I also have far more confidence in the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office than I do in the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

Dave
I'm not sure that the consular services in foreign countries are dependent on you having entered using the passport of that (consular) country - if you're in a foreign country and have both passports you can avail yourself of the foreign/consular services of either UK or Australia.
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
I am assuming that unless you tell the foreign office (by having your passport checked on entry) they wont even know you are there. Thus advantageous on some leevls to use an Oz passport through europe as it will be checked everywhere.
 

spiggy_topes

Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2006
Messages
160
I've done this for years without any problems. I tend to travel on my Australian passport outside the EU and use my British passport in Europe. For instance, if you take the Eurostar to Paris you won't have to queue up to get your Australian passport stamped.

The one thing not to do is to offer both passports to the immigration officer when you get back to Australia and say 'take your pick'. I have a friend who tried this once. They got very shirty with him.
 

thadocta

Active Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2003
Messages
757
alect said:
I'm not sure that the consular services in foreign countries are dependent on you having entered using the passport of that (consular) country - if you're in a foreign country and have both passports you can avail yourself of the foreign/consular services of either UK or Australia.
True - but if I am documented arriving into a country as a UK citizen, then it will be the UK authorities which are contacted if I come into grief.

Without going into too much detail, I have had to contact DIMA to establish someones immigration status on numerous occasions. The reply has always contained the passport they entered Australia on (as well as other information), which I have then passed on to the persons requesting the information.

I would assume that other countries held the same information, although, now that I think about it, perhaps not (given the number of times where my UK passport is merely looked at, and is not scanned).

Entering a country using the passport of the country you intend to rely on *IF* you get into trouble is probably the best idea.

Dave
 

clifford

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jul 6, 2004
Messages
1,777
thadocta said:
True - but if I am documented arriving into a country as a UK citizen, then it will be the UK authorities which are contacted if I come into grief.

Without going into too much detail, I have had to contact DIMA to establish someones immigration status on numerous occasions. The reply has always contained the passport they entered Australia on (as well as other information), which I have then passed on to the persons requesting the information.

I would assume that other countries held the same information, although, now that I think about it, perhaps not (given the number of times where my UK passport is merely looked at, and is not scanned).

Entering a country using the passport of the country you intend to rely on *IF* you get into trouble is probably the best idea.

Dave
Couldn't agree more doc.

And to the OP, my advice is to only use the Aussie passport for entry/exit to/from Oz. And also, in my experience, I have better treatment from INS officials in the US using my EU passport.

Isn't Australia somewhere in South America?
 

cssaus

Active Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2004
Messages
923
Thanks to all that replied with advice.

I'll discuss this with my daughter and pass on the suggestions.
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
clifford said:
Couldn't agree more doc.

And to the OP, my advice is to only use the Aussie passport for entry/exit to/from Oz. And also, in my experience, I have better treatment from INS officials in the US using my EU passport.

Isn't Australia somewhere in South America?
Chile, and I think Argentina also, charge an entry fee for australians (and US) but not for EU and NZ.
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,397
Flights
My Map
Kiwi Flyer said:
Chile, and I think Argentina also, charge an entry fee for australians (and US) but not for EU and NZ.
Nothing like the hip pocket to guide one's choice! ;)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
81,587
Messages
1,883,743
Members
49,485
Latest member
iamolhaaaa
Top