Which cards have you applied for this year (2016)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexy23

Just looking to get an idea what everyone has been applying for and the awesome bonus deals they've been getting.

I'll start:

AMEX Business Platinum
$1500 annual fee (business expense)
110k bonus AMEX points
excellent earn rate (1:2) on business advertising (facebook/google)
VA domestic lounge access

Westpac Alt Black ($0 annual fee as westpac customer)
50k westpac points
good earn rate for AMEX/MC - keeper for first year, great for ATO

ANZ Rewards Black ($0 annual fee)
75k ANZ points
cut and burn once I get the points

NAB Velocity Plat ($190 annual fee)
75k VA points
cut and burn once I get the points

AMEX Plat Edge ($199 annual fee)
30k for referring Ms Alex, 15k for her, $15 woolies bonus (spent $30), $10 woolies bonus, 1 free return domestic flight with VA (worth $300-400)
Good earn rate for petrol, supermarket - will keep this as the benefits outweigh the annual fee

What I'm planning to apply for:

Oct '16 - Westpac Alt Plat ($0 fee as westpac customer) - 50k QFF points - will chop it up once I get the points
Sept '16 - Macquarie HHonors Plat ($0 fee) - free night at hilton when I spend $2k, this will be great for our honey moon in Maldives (savings $1.5k)
Sept '16 - Citi Qantas Signature ($149 fee) - 70k QFF points

Overall good year:
Will net about 342,000 bonus points in joining bonii

What I would've done differently:
- Applied for Westpac Alt Black as QFF card (then switch to Rewards)
- Applied for ANZ QFF Black instead of ANZ Rewards Black (better reward on QFF points)

Last edited:
AMEX Business Platinum
$1500 annual fee (business expense)
110k bonus AMEX points
excellent earn rate (1:2) on business advertising (facebook/google)
VA domestic lounge access

Think you got rob from the Business Platinum card because it was offering 150k signup bonus if you went through referral. Put Citibank in your list as well 70k Qantas points for $149.

Think you got rob from the Business Platinum card because it was offering 150k signup bonus if you went through referral. Put Citibank in your list as well 70k Qantas points for $149.

Yeah I was pretty new to the AFF scene when I first applied. Didn't use a referral code, which is funny cause someone referred me (word of mouth) - so they got robbed too as they missed out on 60k. Might contact AMEX and tell them that it was meant to be "150k" points :)

Last edited:
Well if you ever need referrals I have plenty. :)

You might want to add Platinum Velocity as well. Generous signup bonus and a return domestic flight.

Welcome aboard and hope you enjoy the ride.

Cancelled in 2016 from 2015:
Velocity Amex gold
Velocity Visa Flyer

Applied:
NAB Rewards premium (cancelled)
60k for 150

ANZ QFF Black (cancelled)
75k for 0

Westpac QFF platinum (waiting on bonus points)
40k for 0

Going to apply:
NAB 75k for 150

not sure after that, only interested in QFF points for free, because I fly VA mostly.

Cancelled:
Velocity AMEX Platinum
ANZ Rewards Black

Applied:
AMEX Platinum Charge
AMEX Platinum Edge
28 Degrees Platinum (travel, no points)

Future Plans:
NAB 75k for $150
Citi Rewards Signature 75k

28 Degrees Platinum (travel, no points)

I liked the Citibank Plus for this as I meant one less CC application at the moment. I will apply for the 28 Degrees once the promos wear down. Also better Foreign Exchange rates and a free bottle of wine at a fair few restaurants in capital cities around Australia. Once I use it a little it might help with my application for the Citi Rewards Signature.

AMEX Platinum Edge

Love this card, Apple Pay, free flights, good supermarket earn, the list goes on....

I liked the Citibank Plus for this as I meant one less CC application at the moment.

I should mention I have Citibank Plus also! These two together are a travellers dream.
You can't always put down a debit card [eg. Citibank Plus] for hotel incidentals, car rentals, which is why I have both.

ANZ QFF Black.. primary motivator was however Apple Pay (which I use more than my actual cards, leave the home without my wallet most of the time). Did want (and didn't currently have) a QFF card though.
Despite the good points earn, I could really do with pairing it to something else for international purchases given the 3% international fee.. though I need to calculate out the currency conversion rates to ensure the others aren't just squeezing the 3% in there anyway.

Would have to be another QFF card though, ANZ Rewards Travel looks OK but anything other than Qantas isn't likely to be much good for me for the relatively limited international spend. Probably also would have to me something with a minimal annual fee for the same reason,

None ! I'm trying to get rid of the things.:shock:

May I ask why?

I ask as for most of us we gain FF points at very low cost by use of credit cards. Sign-on bonni being part of this. But even witout churning use of the right CCs is lucrative for FF ponts (even if way less lucrative than they were in past years). Some also seem happy to use them to buy points via the ATO (cost is higher these days as the surcharge is higher and the points earnt is less).

In addition other benefits are to be had including rebates, TI, flights etc...

Last edited:
Wow - I really need to bend my back a bit more.

Only two this year - 60k with NAB and 70k with Citi. Added to that I'm waiting on the 60k referral bonus from my partners Amex ultimate.

Can't wait to see DrRalph's work for the year!

Following Kochies link yesterday CH7, checked my credit score for the first time. Churning doesn't seem to have much effect at all.

Just looking to get an idea what everyone has been applying for and the awesome bonus deals they've been getting.

I'll start:

I had a couple of those but also the Jetstar Platinum Mastercard with 40k QF points for reduced first year fee of $59 I think. No such offer now though.

May I ask why?

I ask as for most of us we gain FF points at very low cost by use of credit cards. Sign-on bonni being part of this. But even witout churning use of the right CCs is lucrative for FF ponts (even if way less lucrative than they were in past years). Some also seem happy to use them to buy points via the ATO (cost is higher these days as the surcharge is higher and the points earnt is less).

In addition other benefits are to be had including rebates, TI, flights etc...

Of course extra bonus points are always welcome, but, just over dealing with banks, statements, remembering to pay the things and how much when they come due. (I'd never set up anything automatic for payment of cc, have seen it go wrong and takes months to sort).

Just over it and even talking to financial institutions.

Last edited:
Had to cancel my Citi Gold Business account at the start of the year as they cut points in half.
Got the Jetstar Platnium with 40k bonus points, then signed up for the ANZ Black and got 75k, then signed up for the American, American Express SPG card and got 25k points.

About to try and sign up for the Citi card and another card today as well.

Going to take 3-6 months of credit card bonii. Applied for ANZ today and they rejected me, the "computer said no" according to her. She listed all my recent credit applications :oops: and she said no doubt if I wait 3 months it'll clear with no problems, but for the next 3 months do not apply for a single credit card application.

My Veda score as of today sits on 444 :oops: I've had 5 applications since mid july.

My partner is on 651 so not all is lost in the realm - but I don't wanna damage her score either. Looking at her history though we've applied for 2 applications spread equally within a month, so it seems you need to distance applications by 4-6 weeks. So may wait a few more weeks to line this up.

Still deciding which one to apply for her out of the following list:

Westpac Altitude Black
ANZ QFF Black
NAB Velocity
Citi Bank QFF
Jetstar Platinum Mastercard
Amex Velocity Platnium
Amex Explorer

I think the ANZ QFF Black yields the best reward with no annual fee.

Applied for early in the year, when I didn't realise AMEX existing customers could take advantage of sign on bonuses:
HSBC Qantas Platinum (40k sign on bonus, $195 annual fee)
Westpact Platinum (40k sign on bonus, free for first year existing customers) - cancelled
Macquarie Visa (40 k sign on bonus, rejected due to stuff around trying to validate payslips - avoid dealing with the incompetent Macquarie call centre at all costs)

Then once I clued in to the AMEX situation:

AMEX Plat Charge (120,000 bonus points, cancelled after 4 months for $800 pro rata refund of $1200 annual fee)
AMEX Velocity Platinum (100,000 bonus points, cancelled after 2 months for $295 pro rata refund of $349 annual fee)
AMEX Plat Edge (just completed minimum spend, waiting to see if bonus points will post - suspect not)
AMEX Explorer card (application was suspended whilst I cancelled first two cards above (was advised can only hold 2 x AMEX credit cards, now approved and awaiting card).

Overall, I've been really happy with my dealings with AMEX - the card application and receipt process is so simple compared with other financial institutions.

Credit card file has taken a bit of a wallop (not that AMEX seem to care!), but we refinanced our home loan at a great rate in December 2015, and am planning to take a 6 month break from any other credit applications now :)

I've been a bit light on this year. I've only applied for the AMEX Velocity Platinum - with through the old 100k bonus points referral link and that's it. Given it's August I guess I better get on it! I think the NAB Velocity plat with the current 75k bonus points will have to be next on the list!

I'm in the doghouse too (sub 500 on Veda). In the last year, I've applied for the Virgin Velocity Flyer (25,000 for nil $); 2 x Amex Platinum Edges (15,000 MR x 2 for nil $); Amex Velocity Platinum (120,000 VA points); Bankwest Qantas Platinum (50,000 QFF for $160) and NAB Velocity Platinum (60,000 VA points for $150). I also applied for the Westpac Platinum in June (50,000 QFF points, fee waived) but was rejected. I have unfinished business with Westpac and I am keen to re-apply for the Black on the final day of the current fee free offer (1 Oct IIRC). If I chicken out (just got a bad feeling in my waters about Westpac), I'll have another crack at the NAB Velocity Platinum which I cancelled yesterday in preparation.

In fact, does any body know if credit ratings are impacted by card cancellations as they are for applications?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back