What does this abbreviation mean

Discussion in 'Your Questions' started by basso, Sep 15, 2002.

1. basso

basso Active Member

Sep 15, 2002
    CIP?

Does it actually mean anything, or is some crock marketing thing?
    Registered Users don't see this and have the option of removing all other advertisements.  Register HERE

2. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Commercially Important Passenger. I think its a generic term referring to frequent travellers etc.. i.e. airports often refer to club louges and the like as CIP lounges.

3. QF WP

Jun 20, 2002
    Brisbane
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    Facebook:
    Linkedin:
    What does the abbreviation mean

oz mark you're correct with your explanation of what the leters CIP stand for, but they are commercially sensitive people. For example, travel writers, management in travel agencies, managing directors, CEO's, CFO's and the like for medium to large businesses are generally given CIP status and it is printed on their boarding passes. Like Gold and Platinum FF's, it is something that the flight crew look out for when scanning the boarding passes as you enter the plane and ensure those designted with CIP are looked after.

:eek:

4. alien

alien Member

Nov 6, 2002
    Sydney
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    How can we get the CIP added to our boarding passes?

5. shillard

shillard Guest

By spending more time in the air than on the ground. "CIP" is always noted on my International boarding passes, not on purely domestic trips. I've never noticed it on a domestic boarding pass not connected with an international itinerary.

6. donjsimons

donjsimons Junior Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Alien,
    Don't be mislead, within the airport industry these CIP passengers are know as - Conceited, Irritating, Prats.