What do you think is the best value program to transfer points from Ascent into?

Which Frequent Traveller Program do you transfer Ascent points to?

• Malaysia Enrich

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Hilton HHonors

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Priority Club

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Starwood (SPG)

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Qantas

Votes: 21 61.8%
  • Starwood (Virgin Blue)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Virgin Atlantic

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Singapore Airlines

• Thai Airways

• Cathay Pacific

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mal

Enthusiast
Just curious.

Many options. Trying to work out where people see value and what they do with their Amex Ascent points.

(I'm also interested in the through type transfers (eg Ascent-Starwood-AA) but can't include these in the poll)

I see three main options for my Amex MR points:
  • Transfer to QF to use for international flight upgrades
  • Transfer to AA via Starwood for premium cabin awards
  • Transfer to Hilton Honors to use for hotel nights
I will use for which ever I have the need first. Until then, they stay in MR.

Oops. Just realised that Poll Option #6 should be Velocity (Virgin Blue) not Starwood (Virgin Blue)!

Can't change it now though :(

I am really struggling with what to do with my Ascent points at the moment. I haved about 80K across corporate and personal ascent and if I manage to get all points posting to AA properly I wont need any points from Amex.

I think my Amex points are going to end up in QF and be used for F upgrades ;)

I thought about getting them in HHonors but the return is probably not as effective - for three F upgrades I could only get one or two nights in a hotel...

Multi choice poll; that's good. I probably would not have voted otherwise.

The options I chose relate to those MR Partner Frequent Customer/Guest/Flier programs that I have status in. :cool:

I transfer to VS if I can, because 1 MR point = 1 mile. Then I transfer to QF if I need to, as they have more partners even if that means 1 MR = 1 km

As I only have status in one of the listed options is a pretty easy decision for me.

Not sure about hotel programs, looking at earn/burn ratios in airline programs Virgin Atlantic is the standout. Requires 1:1 to transfer from Amex (as does QF), but some big discrepancies in the points required for award flights. In some instances (eg AUS-NZ in J) the burn rate on QF is 2.4 times that of VS but generally the burn rate on QF is about 1.2 - 1.7 times that of VS.

I voted for QF even though I have not transferred any Ascent points yet. Unless someone can convince me I do not see much value in hotel loyalty programs and of the other FF programs VS sounds OK but appears to be risky trying to book a complex RTW.

I have just over 80,000 MR points and when I have 140,000 MR points I will be transferring to QF for another Oneworld RTW award. Hopefully no more enhancements until I have enough points.

What hotel program(s) is the best for transferring Amex points into?

Priority Club, Starwood or Hilton?

Starwood has nights for 7000 points in Sydney. Priority Club has some Point Breaks for 5000 points in Rooty Hill (Western Sydney). HHonors has some for 7,500. But I've never seen any 7.5k or 10k within Australia. Are there any other standouts that I missed?

Can someone confirm the transfer rates from Australian Membership Rewards:

HHonors: 1000 per 1000 MR
Priority Club: 600 per 1000 MR
Starwood: 330 per 1000 MR

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back