What Credit gives free Qantas Membership? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

What Credit gives free Qantas Membership?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielh

Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2003
Messages
352
Hi All,

I recall about a year or so ago (2002 ish) that ANZ was going to provide free Qantas membership (worth AU$75 + 10% GST) with the ANZ Frequent Flyers card.

I already had my card as well as Qantas Club membership so I didn't bother about it at the time but my Fiance needs to both join as well as get a new Credit card for herself.

Does anyone know of a bank or institute that provides free Qantas FF membership? I can't seem to find the deal with ANZ anymore and www.infochoice.com.au doesn't seem to show any deals.

Regards
Daniel
 

wleong

Intern
Joined
Jan 26, 2003
Messages
87
Flights
My Map
danielh said:
Hi All,

I recall about a year or so ago (2002 ish) that ANZ was going to provide free Qantas membership (worth AU$75 + 10% GST) with the ANZ Frequent Flyers card.

I already had my card as well as Qantas Club membership so I didn't bother about it at the time but my Fiance needs to both join as well as get a new Credit card for herself.

Does anyone know of a bank or institute that provides free Qantas FF membership? I can't seem to find the deal with ANZ anymore and www.infochoice.com.au doesn't seem to show any deals.

Regards
Daniel
Daniel,

No current Bank provides free QFF membership. ANZ was a promo that has finished but took almost a year to open an account for my fiance. There was lots of phone calls to ANZ chasing this up.

You have two options:

1. QC members are entitled to free QFF membership
2. If you are a resident outside of Australia and New Zealand, the joining fee is waived.
 

danielh

Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2003
Messages
352
Thats a pity.

Hows this for an idea.

Join Qantas Club at the end of the year (around Nov 2004). Pay the pro rata rate for membership until the end of the year. This should be around one sixth of the yearly membership and get one Qantas FF Club membership for free. Then don't renew the following year but as have already joined the Qantas FF club, no need to join again as the fee was a one off fee.

My problem is that my fiance is currently flying on my Award flights too and back from Hong Kong and I was hoping for her to earn points.

Any other thoughts?

Regards
Daniel
 

wleong

Intern
Joined
Jan 26, 2003
Messages
87
Flights
My Map
Here's another idea for you. Sign up to Qantas Club and ask for a refund in 14 days. Let's see what they do with the QFF membership? Will they cancel this as well?

Separately, no points are earned on award flights.

Good Luck!
 

kpc

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 11, 2003
Messages
6,086
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
wleong said:
2. If you are a resident outside of Australia and New Zealand, the joining fee is waived.
It sounds like you travel a lot bet HK and OZ...sign her up with a HK address, wait for the FF card to be posted out (but it doesn't really matter if you don't have a QF FF card except it is useful for Quickcheck at Australian domestic airports), then you can change the address back online to an Oz one. :)
 

danielh

Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2003
Messages
352
Ha ha. Just got back from Hong Kong after 9 weeks. Bit late to try right now but I'll do it when I go back next time. Hopefully it will be in a months time and I'm sick of it at the moment.

It's a bit annoying that Australians have to pay and OS ppl do not. Right now I'm thinking I can apply online for her, send the card and forms to a relative in HK, get them to quote me her FF number and I'll be ok with just the number. I could get that relative to just snail mail me the papers later.

Is there a distinction between Australian and OS members though? Do OS FF card holders get worse/better rates than we do? Can she get the local deals sonce she changes her address back to an Australian one? These are just a few of the questions I can think of right now.

Regards
Daniel
 

kpc

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 11, 2003
Messages
6,086
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
danielh said:
Ha ha. Just got back from Hong Kong after 9 weeks. Bit late to try right now but I'll do it when I go back next time. Hopefully it will be in a months time and I'm sick of it at the moment.

It's a bit annoying that Australians have to pay and OS ppl do not. Right now I'm thinking I can apply online for her, send the card and forms to a relative in HK, get them to quote me her FF number and I'll be ok with just the number. I could get that relative to just snail mail me the papers later.

Is there a distinction between Australian and OS members though? Do OS FF card holders get worse/better rates than we do? Can she get the local deals sonce she changes her address back to an Australian one? These are just a few of the questions I can think of right now.

Regards
Daniel
When you join online, you get your FF no. immediately. A QF FF no. is the same wherever you live!
 

QF WP

Moderator
Joined
Jun 20, 2002
Messages
15,894
Qantas
LT Silver
Virgin
Gold
Flights
My Map
Agree with kpc. Also, when you sign her up, you enter an email address, which is where all communication goes to....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

  • Choosing a Rewards Program – AIR017
    Sat, 10 Aug 2019 13:32:24 AEST
      If you’re new to the world of frequent flyer points – or moving to a new country – it can be difficult to know where to start. In this episode, Matt discusses the con ...
  • Travel Insurance – AIR016
    Sat, 27 Jul 2019 07:34:12 AEST
      They say that if you can’t afford travel insurance, you can’t afford to travel! In this episode, Matt chats to James Green about the importance of travel insurance, and ...
  • The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...

Community Statistics

Threads
82,503
Messages
1,910,912
Members
50,280
Latest member
Lenscap
Top