Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
SkyTeam
Elite Plus
Star Alliance
Gold
Noticed this in the fine print on the St George Frequent Flyer Credit Cards page:

From 1 January 2022, for Amplify Qantas Platinum cards, you will earn 0.5 Qantas Points per $1 up to a maximum of $100,000 spent on eligible purchases annually. For Amplify Qantas Signature cards, you will earn 0.75 Qantas Points per $1 up to a maximum of $250,000 spent on eligible purchases annually. This annual limit resets in January each year, based on your statement date. Bonus Points earned are not part of your annual cap.

This also affects the equivalent Bank SA & Bank of Melbourne cards. Qantas points remain uncapped until the end of 2021.

St George Amplify Platinum & Signature cards (which earn Amplify Rewards points) are not affected.

There can't be that many people who will be troubled by an annual spend limit of $250,000.
Check the AFF threads, there are a number of people who are very troubled by this.

There can't be that many people who will be troubled by an annual spend limit of $250,000.

Some of those running businesses can pump through many $millions per year.

Even if one is just running a small business, $250K is not hard to exceed.

2 years ago I put through a million on my StG Amplify signature card in 6 months :)

Yes, but I don't think there will be many people who have done that - and I imagine that is business expense rather than personal use.
Actually I personally know quite a few people who put ahem business $$$ through the card. I assume that is why StG have now put a points cap.

Actually I personally know quite a few people who put ahem business $$$ through the card. I assume that is why StG have now put a points cap.
I would guess so. I’m not an accountant but I thought there were solid reasons why it was not sensible to put business expenses on a personal card.

Yes, but I don't think there will be many people who have done that - and I imagine that is business expense rather than personal use.

Since I first cottoned on that FF points could be earnt in many ways besides actually flying over 3 decades ago I have been putting business expense (both as an employee and in my own business) on credit cards. I have also done so on business cards (mine or my employers).
If the point earn was higher on my private card I would always try and put the business spend on my private card if my employer allowed it. And in my own business that was not an issue at all. I would only go for lower point earn if I had to, except when I was doing say the qualifying earn for a "churn" card just to get the sign-on points.

I have earnt way, way, way more points from not flying, than flying. Including in the period when for 16 years I was flying a lot for my employer.

The STG card has been a "keeper" card for those who could funnel good spend through a card. Though for me it was often better to direct to KF, as QFF is for my circumstances is a program that I only direct points to if that opportunity can only go there, or there is some aberration when the QFF point earn is much higher that to KF.

TIP: Maximising FF earn is often about what one can do, rather than just what the terms might indicate that you should/can do ;)

Last edited:

TIP: Maximising FF earn is often about what one can do, rather than just what the terms might indicate that you should/can do ;)
Prevarication from worrying its not OK (or even worse calling up to double-check its OK) is a cause of much regret

Looks like this also affects Westpac Altitude Platinum & Altitude Black cards that earn Qantas points, which will also be subject to earning caps of $100,000 and $250,000/year respectively from 1 January 2022. (Westpac owns St George.)

I've updated the thread title.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back