Waitlisting for upgrades - your experience? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Waitlisting for upgrades - your experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aus_flyer

Established Member
I am keen to find out what level of success people have had with waitlisted international upgrades.

Thoughts?

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
No luck at all at getting these.

Last international flight I took, business class was full of staff from a travel company - I assume they all scored upgrades.

serfty

Flights
My Map
There were significant changes to this internationally last week and really the Jury is still out on this.

The only real thing we know is that your Elite status will have a significant effect on your chances.

There's some recent infomation here from another forum: Tips needed to up chances of upgrade ...

NM

Flights
My Map
My recent experiences (April/May) before the changes:

LAX-JFK: waitlisted about 3 weeks before the flight. Cleared 2 days before flight. Business to First Class for 8,000 points

LHR-MEL: waitlisted about 3 weeks before the flight. Cleared some time in the few hours before the flight (not cleared when I tried to check in at FRA, was by the time I reached LHR Flight Connections transfer desk). Business to First for 55,000 points. SIN-MEL section was showing F0A0 for several weeks. The f cabin was full for the SIN-MEL sector, 3 or 4 seats free for LHR-SIN sector.

MEL-SYD: Z was available 3 weeks prior when I requested so no waitlist. Business to First for 5000 points. I was the only passenger in the F cabin for that flight.

And from November last year:
SYD-LAX: Waitlisted 7 days before flight. Cleared 5 days before flight. Business to First for 4 x Upgrade Credits.

If my next ticket gets issued today I will be joining the waitlist for SYD-LAX in F for a flight next week. I will let you know if that is successful.

I guess I have been successful on about 80% of my international upgrade waitlists. But I do try to select the flights/dates/times that are more likely to have space in F (ie avoid Friday-Monday flights).

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frequentflyer8