Waitlist Request

Discussion in 'Qantas Frequent Flyer Program' started by justinbrett, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. justinbrett

justinbrett Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Sydney
    I'm a Gold QF member, trying to get on QF825 DRW - BNE on JUL 13. It's completely sold out.

Just wondering if someone with the software could let me know of my chances of getting on it being waitlisted.

2. littl_flier

littl_flier Active Member

May 1, 2007
    Brisbane
    I presume you are talking about paying for a seat. If you are travelling or prepared to travel on full Y or J class fares, then you can waitlist. You may also be able to do this on lower fares although I don't think so when the flight is full. As for success, as a Gold you have a better chance than a Bronze but it will require a no show of a flexi to change a flight- this is quite high with QF factoring in a 5 - 10 % no show or change. One would wonder though with only one flight per day on QF metal if this would be the case.

Someone who has knowledge of whether the flight is overbooked might be able to tell you some more info. I suggest giving QF a call or getting your TA to sort this out.

Cheers,
    littl_flier

3. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    If flight is sold out, then no-one here *should* be able to give you more information than what you have at the moment - ie, that the plane is full. Qantas call centre might be able to tell you whether people are already waitlisted etc.

You can waitlist with a H or Y class fare (or Business). I'm not entirely sure of the process as I've only done it once and my work agent took care of things (it didn't clear anyway!).

As a Plat, I can buy 2 seats on a totally booked flight (H or Y class I believe). Want to pay for my fare and I'll force a seat? :D

4. justinbrett

Mar 6, 2006
    Sydney
    Sorry - it's going to be a government paid flight in full Y (not entilted to J unfortunately).

I have done this once before on silver, and it came through - so hopefuly will happen again.

5. littl_flier

littl_flier Active Member

May 1, 2007
    Brisbane
    Then give it a go is my suggestion. Another option, although quite a bit longer is to route ADL or CNS.

:oops: I was more thinking (I seem to remember from an old post I read somewhere) that someone within QF could post that it was already oversold by two already. ;) A mate has access to that info but I can't really ask him. All CSM's (not sure about FA's) have access to loadings for flights.

6. davocns

davocns Junior Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Cairns
    I have been looking for a FF seat out of DRW to CNS (over the past 3 weeks) for this coming weekend - looked like having to pay nearly $1000 for a o/w ticket (economy). Gave QF FF website one last go tonight and was lucky enough to score a business class seat for this Sunday morning .Was told by booking staff last week ,definatley no FF seats out of Darwin until 19 July ! Is this unusual for this to happen ? Or is being patient the way to go?

7. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Qantas.com is showing a routing via ADL (QF757/QF656) from $1128. Departs about 30 minute earlier than QF825.

Tough gig really; near the end or in the middle of school holidays, end of the week and it's peak season for the top end.

8. justinbrett

Mar 6, 2006
    Sydney
    Well I got a little lucky.

I just checked the QF site and it had availability for full Y - however after ringing up my travel section they couldn't find my form and I couldn't afford to wait - seatcounter still said no seats at all.

So I made a booking (one way) with B pay as the option, in order to hold the seat. Not sure how this will go but figure it will buy me some time.

And it must have only been one seat - because now there's no seats available again. But I have a booking.. I hope this works.

9. justinbrett

Mar 6, 2006
    Sydney
    On a side note - do gold have the highest priority for waitlisting domestic flights? Being that Plat have guaranteed seats, I would assume gold would have the highest chance.

So how do they rank people within gold? Is it first in - best dressed or based on number of Status Credits?

10. DTM1

DTM1 Member

Jun 27, 2006
    Melbourne
    It isn't necessarily the case that Gold will have the first priority, as the WP guarantee only applies if you book before midday the day before the flight. If a WP gets waitlisted after midday, then they may come ahead of any Gold. I guess it depends on when they confirm the waitlisted people.

Does anyone know when that happens ?

11. justinbrett

Mar 6, 2006
    Sydney
    Last time I was waitlisted it cleared 48-72 hours after booking (I can't remember which). In any case it was about a week before the flight.

I guess they just wait for a seat to open up and then clear the top of the list.

Probably a different process to upgrade/award requests, since you have already paid the full fare for the seat.

12. Reggie

Reggie Established Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Manchester
    I was informed that for the WP to get the guaranteed full Y seat, it was not just a matter or requesting a waitlist. The WP actually has to ring the QFF premium desk and request the guarenteed seat. I have never had to use this as waitlists in Y have always come through.

As a side note, havign WP still doesn't guarantee a Y seat. In the PER QF lounge one day it was interesting to watch a fellow demanding to have a seat on a full flight to PBO. In the end he stated "but I am A Platinum Frequent Flyer and entitled to a guaranteed seat on this flight" to which the attendent answered "So are about two thirds of the passengers on that flight" I couldn't hear the rest of the conversation, but said want to be pax left looking less than pleased.

13. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    A request for "Guaranteed Seats"* must be made by midday the day before scheduled departure. Also, it excludes "non-jet QantasLink services" and there is a get out clause for some routes or under special circumstances. More here:
    *A CL/WP can get 2