Voluntary Downgrade, SYD-SIN! Would You?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by serfty, Mar 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
?

Voluntary Downgrade, SYD-SIN! Would You?

1. No Way!

100.0%
  2. Take the USD250

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Take the QF USD525

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Flounging (thanks Dave Noble for that word) in SYD international.

I noticed BA16 had been cancelled today.

IMO Connected, Just now a "humble" announcement has just come over the PA for the attention of "Business Class" PAX on QF5 asking if any would volunteer for a downgrade to WHY.

Compensation offer of either:

1) USD250 credited to CC of choice, or

2) USD525 QF voucher.

What would you do?

2. straitman

Apr 27, 2003
    SE Oz (Sale)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Wow.

Consensus 2 out of 2 :!:

:D :D :D :D

3. aus_flyer

aus_flyer Established Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Brisbane
    Haha.. what an absolute joke. Given the price of a J SYD-SIN, who in their right mind would accept?

Unless, I suppose someone who just used FF points might think it was a good deal. Maybe.

4. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Given the fare difference and comfort factor, they'd need to up the offer for me (unless I had no status and at risk of being bumped but that isnt the case here as they are looking for volunteers for downgrades not for bumps).

5. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    Glad ya enjoying flounging. Im assuming that they are of course refunding the fare difference too. For AUD525 for a SYD-SIN run I might take it assuming I could get an exit aisle seat, otherwise I would stay put.

Dave

6. aus_flyer

aus_flyer Established Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Brisbane
    Yes, if that were the case I would take accept the downgrade with the QF credit

7. QF WP

Jun 20, 2002
    Brisbane
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    Facebook:
    Linkedin:
    If I was on a paid J ticket, I'd want the clarification mentioned by Dave Noble, that the voucher is in addition to the refund of the differential in ticket before I'd go anywhere near that offer.

If I were on an award ticket, yes I'd take it, as long as it didn't affect the balance of any sectors on the award ticket.

If I was on an upgrade with points, I'd think yes (I'd ask for them to refund my points first though)

If I was on an op up, hell yes! I'd take it with both hands :wink:

8. markis10

markis10 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2004
    BNE & SYD
    I suspect that there were no upgrades on that flight, of course that depends on how much notice they had that the BA flight was going no where. So long as I got someting in addition to my refund for the difference in fares I would be happy, wonder what they were offering the folks on BA, a night at the Holiday Inn and a 5 minute phone call.

9. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    I think a full refund of the difference in fares plus the USD525 voucher would be a very good place to start.

Even better if work paid for the business fare and you pocket the difference and voucher. :) This does happen!

10. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    That's a pretty key assumption and may change more than one vote :wink:

11. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    They were offering AUD525 *compensation* . If they were not offering the fare rebate ( as I would expect ) then it wouldnt be compensation. BA even lists in fare bases, the rebate calculation for downgrades

Dave

12. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    As any paid J travel I would be undertaking would be paid by my employer, I would not be at liberty to take a voluntary downgrade. If my employer found out that they had paid for J and I have accepted payment to volunteer for a lower class of service, they would be understandably upset.

So I would be telling them that if they want to downgrade me, its going to have to be involuntarily, with the appropriate compensation that applies to invol downgrades.

13. Yada Yada

Yada Yada Established Member

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    I wouldn't take it. It's not enough money for the inconvenience.