Voluntary Downgrade, SYD-SIN! Would You? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Voluntary Downgrade, SYD-SIN! Would You?

Voluntary Downgrade, SYD-SIN! Would You?

• Take the USD250

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Take the QF USD525

• Other!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

serfty

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Flounging (thanks Dave Noble for that word) in SYD international.

I noticed BA16 had been cancelled today.

IMO Connected, Just now a "humble" announcement has just come over the PA for the attention of "Business Class" PAX on QF5 asking if any would volunteer for a downgrade to WHY.

Compensation offer of either:

1) USD250 credited to CC of choice, or

2) USD525 QF voucher.

What would you do?

aus_flyer

Established Member
Haha.. what an absolute joke. Given the price of a J SYD-SIN, who in their right mind would accept?

Unless, I suppose someone who just used FF points might think it was a good deal. Maybe.

Kiwi Flyer

Given the fare difference and comfort factor, they'd need to up the offer for me (unless I had no status and at risk of being bumped but that isnt the case here as they are looking for volunteers for downgrades not for bumps).

Dave Noble

Glad ya enjoying flounging. Im assuming that they are of course refunding the fare difference too. For AUD525 for a SYD-SIN run I might take it assuming I could get an exit aisle seat, otherwise I would stay put.

Dave

aus_flyer

Established Member
Dave Noble said:
Im assuming that they are of course refunding the fare difference too. For AUD525 for a SYD-SIN run I might take it assuming I could get an exit aisle seat, otherwise I would stay put.
Yes, if that were the case I would take accept the downgrade with the QF credit

QF WP

Qantas
LT Silver
Virgin
Gold
Flights
My Map
If I was on a paid J ticket, I'd want the clarification mentioned by Dave Noble, that the voucher is in addition to the refund of the differential in ticket before I'd go anywhere near that offer.

If I were on an award ticket, yes I'd take it, as long as it didn't affect the balance of any sectors on the award ticket.

If I was on an upgrade with points, I'd think yes (I'd ask for them to refund my points first though)

If I was on an op up, hell yes! I'd take it with both hands :wink:

markis10

Veteran Member
I suspect that there were no upgrades on that flight, of course that depends on how much notice they had that the BA flight was going no where. So long as I got someting in addition to my refund for the difference in fares I would be happy, wonder what they were offering the folks on BA, a night at the Holiday Inn and a 5 minute phone call.

JohnK

AFF Supporter
I think a full refund of the difference in fares plus the USD525 voucher would be a very good place to start.

Even better if work paid for the business fare and you pocket the difference and voucher. :) This does happen!

Kiwi Flyer

Dave Noble said:
Glad ya enjoying flounging. Im assuming that they are of course refunding the fare difference too. For AUD525 for a SYD-SIN run I might take it assuming I could get an exit aisle seat, otherwise I would stay put.

Dave
That's a pretty key assumption and may change more than one vote :wink:

Dave Noble

Kiwi Flyer said:
Dave Noble said:

Dave
That's a pretty key assumption and may change more than one vote :wink:
They were offering AUD525 *compensation* . If they were not offering the fare rebate ( as I would expect ) then it wouldnt be compensation. BA even lists in fare bases, the rebate calculation for downgrades

Dave

NM

Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
As any paid J travel I would be undertaking would be paid by my employer, I would not be at liberty to take a voluntary downgrade. If my employer found out that they had paid for J and I have accepted payment to volunteer for a lower class of service, they would be understandably upset.

So I would be telling them that if they want to downgrade me, its going to have to be involuntarily, with the appropriate compensation that applies to invol downgrades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• Choosing a Rewards Program – AIR017
    Sat, 10 Aug 2019 13:32:24 AEST
      If you’re new to the world of frequent flyer points – or moving to a new country – it can be difficult to know where to start. In this episode, Matt discusses the con ...
  • Travel Insurance – AIR016
    Sat, 27 Jul 2019 07:34:12 AEST
      They say that if you can’t afford travel insurance, you can’t afford to travel! In this episode, Matt chats to James Green about the importance of travel insurance, and ...
  • The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMT3011