Virgin Australia Financials 2019/20 | Page 13 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Virgin Australia Financials 2019/20

dajop

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
There was some talk awhile back that once VS and VA tightened up their partnership that some friendlier connection times may happen down the track.
Easier said than done.

Currently VA operates SYD-HKG 10:15/16:35 and HKG-SYD 19:15/07:40
Currently VS operates LHR-HKG 21:00/16:55 and HKG-LHR 23:55/04:50

Assuming slots, VS could really only move an LHR-HKG an hour later, but not HKG-LHR any earlier. So it would arrive at 17:55. VA could move back 3 hrs outbound and 2 hrs inbound, arriving in HKG at 19:35 and departing at 21:15 , which would give 4:20 connection to LHR and 3:20 on the way back. But what then happens to China bound traffic? Is a 09:40 arrival into SYD competitive? And in the uber crowded AU-LHR market, are 4 hour connections competitive?

jakeseven7

Easier said than done.

Currently VA operates SYD-HKG 10:15/16:35 and HKG-SYD 19:15/07:40
Currently VS operates LHR-HKG 21:00/16:55 and HKG-LHR 23:55/04:50

Assuming slots, VS could really only move an LHR-HKG an hour later, but not HKG-LHR any earlier. So it would arrive at 17:55. VA could move back 3 hrs outbound and 2 hrs inbound, arriving in HKG at 19:35 and departing at 21:15 , which would give 4:20 connection to LHR and 3:20 on the way back. But what then happens to China bound traffic? Is a 09:40 arrival into SYD competitive? And in the uber crowded AU-LHR market, are 4 hour connections competitive?
4 hour connection for a business? It wouldn't be classed as a high ranking 'logical' connection in many booking tools, so answer is 'No'.

SQ offer 50-60 minute connections in both directions for SYD-LHR-SYD. What traveller in their right mind would book a seven hour layover in HKG instead?

jase05

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Platinum

Must...Fly!

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Another interview with PS with hints on strategy going forward. Now we know what Wiggy is for, its supposed to attract the leisure market back from Jetstar :rolleyes:

Great idea, if only they didn't own a budget airline that is seeking to do exactly that.

So what is the goal, having them fight to the bottom against each other?

The article also mentions tapping in to "product innovations" from the major shareholders. Expect Neighbour-free seat bidding to appear very shortly. Perhaps some catering related changes may also appear on long haul.

Spongbob

AFF Supporter
Yes, it is all a bit odd. I thought VA was competing with QF, while TT was competing with JQ.
Now I am confused.

cambriamarsh

Yes, it is all a bit odd. I thought VA was competing with QF, while TT was competing with JQ.
Now I am confused.
They're all competing with each other to some extent. After all surely even the most rabid QF fanboi will look at VA if QF is fully booked and they need to travel and vice versa

dajop

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Great idea, if only they didn't own a budget airline that is seeking to do exactly that.

So what is the goal, having them fight to the bottom against each other?
I think it was mentioned they would pull TT off the business routes and focus them on leisure routes only, reading between the lines, try and avoid VA and TR competing with each other.

jase05

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Platinum
I think it was mentioned they would pull TT off the business routes and focus them on leisure routes only, reading between the lines, try and avoid VA and TR competing with each other.
Yeah, that’s my take aswell.
TR is been pulled off the ADL-BNE route and and another VA service will take its place for example. TT routes are being cut and we should me more VA services on the golden triangle

HS-TQE

I do wonder if this applies to leisure routes with "some" J demand, e.g SYD-OOL, MEL-OOL, etc. One suggestion is to operate TR in place of VA on SYD-OOL during the middle of the day/weekends for example, thus to use both carriers but not compete against each other at the same time.

There are some leisure routes that has been tried and failed (twice) though, e.g MEL-MCY. Which would probably throw a spanner in the works on certain routes.

Must...Fly!

Established Member
AFF Supporter
I do wonder if this applies to leisure routes with "some" J demand, e.g SYD-OOL, MEL-OOL, etc. One suggestion is to operate TR in place of VA on SYD-OOL during the middle of the day/weekends for example, thus to use both carriers but not compete against each other at the same time.

There are some leisure routes that has been tried and failed (twice) though, e.g MEL-MCY. Which would probably throw a spanner in the works on certain routes.
If that is a strategy then they need to IMO find a way to link Velocity in with Tiger, as QFF is with JQ. Not everyone flies at 7am and 6pm for work.

jase05

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Platinum
If that is a strategy then they need to IMO find a way to link Velocity in with Tiger, as QFF is with JQ. Not everyone flies at 7am and 6pm for work.
Without lounge access of course :p

VA's success in OOL brought QF back after they abandoned it to JQ, so replacing VA with TT could be counter-productive. QF loyalists will buy a JQ Y middle seat for $1500 rather than a $500 VA J seat, but I can't imagine too many VA customers would set foot in the TT area of a terminal let alone board one of their aircraft.

Last edited:

Must...Fly!

Established Member
AFF Supporter
VA's success in OOL brought QF back after they abandoned it to JQ, so replacing VA with TT could be counter-productive. QF loyalists will buy a JQ Y middle seat for $1500 rather than a $500 VA J seat, but I can't imagine too many VA customers would set foot in the TT area of a terminal let alone board one of their aircraft.
Too right, and a critical flaw of the strategy.

pauly7

Established Member
AFF Supporter
VA's success in OOL brought QF back after they abandoned it to JQ
Yes and QF promptly hoovered up the premium and corporate travel market again ex Syd and then realised might as well pick up the ex Mel $$ travellers and launched direct again from there.

Then VA is left to fight it out with JQ and Tiger for the lower yielding pax.

Yes and QF promptly hoovered up the premium and corporate travel market again ex Syd and then realised might as well pick up the ex Mel $$ travellers and launched direct again from there.

Then VA is left to fight it out with JQ and Tiger for the lower yielding pax.
Flights/day SYD-OOL: QF 4, VA 9
Cost for Y & J: QF $139/$673, VA $99/$579
Hard product: Barely distinguishable Lounge: VA has the edge

If QF can command the premium pax with that offering, how can VA ever succeed?

Must...Fly!

Established Member
AFF Supporter
The constant theme here is that VA is able to gain some corporate share but then is fighting a losing battle at the bottom end of the market because the Tiger brand is so poisonous. The obvious solution has been discussed here repeatedly!

dajop

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
is fighting a losing battle at the bottom end of the market because the Tiger brand is so poisonous. The obvious solution has been discussed here repeatedly!
With the toxic brand, maybe they could simply rebrand the operation. Perhaps take a leaf out of Air Canada’s book who operate Air Canada Rouge alongside the main carrier, but instead of Rouge maybe a different colour - Blue - would work?

HS-TQE

Going further with merging VA Regional and Tigerair is another, merging both of those AOCs into the 1 AOC.

Using the "Virgin Australia Regional" name as the brand (e.g with 'regional' decals next to "Virgin Australia" or below it) operating with only Economy class with "Economy X" seating to differentiate from the mainline carrier.

AFF on Air Podcast

• British Airways Executive Club – AIR025
    Sat, 30 Nov 2019 22:53:26 AEDT
      Many Australians join Qantas Frequent Flyer by default. But even if you fly with Qantas regularly, you could benefit by using the British Airways Executive Club frequent f ...
  • Married Segments & More – AIR024
    Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:32:20 AEDT
      Airlines seem to love married segments, but for frequent flyers and travel agents they can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes you'll find an award seat on a flight you w ...
  • HARS (Historic Aircraft Restoration Society) – AIR023
    Sat, 02 Nov 2019 13:24:03 AEDT
      The Historic Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) boasts a collection of over 60 aircraft, including a retired Qantas 747, Super Constellation and DC-3s. John Travolta's Bo ...
  • “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bugbusteraus