Virgin Australia Business Class - Meals, Menus & Service

Not a sweet tooth?

I love coconut, but yeah for breky a bit odd.
I definitely have a sweet tooth but I took one bite and it was not great... I couldn't take another bite! I also don't like dessicated coconut.

VA958 BNE-SYD 8/6

Sweet pork belly with vegetables or leek and mushroom pasta with optional chicken. I guess orders taken were 1A-1F and 2A-2F as by the the time CM got to me (snuck into Business on a waitlisted points upgrade 4.5 hours before departure), he was all lucky last. Those who didn't have a meal were served drinks (and presumably snacks) first, before the rest of the meals.

1000056223.jpg

Status definitely plays a role in how orders are taken. On my flight, it was 1AC followed by 2DF, then me in 1F followed by 2AC and then 1D. 1D was a last-minute upgrade (low status) and 2AC were also last-minute upgraders.

Status definitely plays a role in how orders are taken. On my flight, it was 1AC followed by 2DF, then me in 1F followed by 2AC and then 1D. 1D was a last-minute upgrade (low status) and 2AC were also last-minute upgraders.
IIRC thought, our resident CM twinaisle said that then acknowledgement of status in order taking is entirely optional, and is not part of the service requirements.

I pointed out in an earlier post that despite seeing the order sheet - with only two pax circles as ‘platinum’ (me and another passenger) - the service flow meant we were almost the last spoken to.

Upgrades or pax flying on an earlier flight however should get orders taken last as catering is not assured.

Superb service last night MEL-SYD. Butter chicken or spinach pasta for meal choices. The chicken wasn’t bad, but only two pieces! Came with pita flat bread and rice.

Only 2/8 in the front, but not a spare seat in the main cabin.

Given the light load our trays were delivered with snacks in the white ramekins on the side. Nice touch.

Things really seem to be turning around for VA, we left on time and arrived early! Boarding was underway when called from the lounge.

Data point, no pics sorry.

4:20pm MEL-CNS
Butter chicken, packet of cheese and bickies and a chocolate brownie. Very tasty.
Other option was frittata i think.

Denied pringles from the Y menu. Offered plain crisps in a bowl instead.

Denied pringles from the Y menu. Offered plain crisps in a bowl instead.
This has been standard since the new owners - anything in pantry is free, but everyone has to pay for items from the buy on board menu.

Speaking of pantry, if one feels like a biscuit, it seems that Tim Tams are out this rotation, and replaced with a white chocolate & macadamia cookie or biscoff.

new-pantry.jpg

This has been standard since the new owners - anything in pantry is free, but everyone has to pay for items from the buy on board menu.

Speaking of pantry, if one feels like a biscuit, it seems that Tim Tams are out this rotation, and replaced with a white chocolate & macadamia cookie or biscoff.
Wasn't this applied just prior to Voluntary administration / Covid during the Scurrah CEO days in his attempt to pull back to costs.

View attachment 390755
Woe to budget business class that can't even afford to pay for a timtam to J pax (which is only 2 dollars a pack in Coles. Same cost for their famous Coles-slaw).

07/06/24 | VA434 | SYD to ADL

Quick Adelaide getaway to make the most of the long weekend. As has become the norm, the Sydney lounge is very busy at this time of the afternoon but thankfully the upstairs section was open. Would be nice in future if they offered some drinks up there (even just soft drinks) to minimise trips up and down!

20240607_163225.jpg

Slight delay to boarding due to the incoming aircraft being put in a weather-related holding pattern above Sydney, however we were on board at 6pm and by 6:06pm our lovely CM Chantel had introduced herself and distributed PDBs.

20240607_180653.jpg

Service on the ground was good with Chantel advising us of a 1hr 43min flying time, a long taxi to the runway, some bumps expected during ascent and a quick walk-through of the entertainment options onboard (no Wi-Fi internet on VH-VUL just yet).

We were soon airborne and Chantel came by about ten minutes later to take dinner orders. Options tonight were pumpkin gnocchi with creamy pesto and optional chorizo, or soy caramel karaage chicken with aged rice. I chose the chicken. Red wine options were Shiraz or Pinot Noir and white wine options were Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio, I went with a Pinot Noir. Orders were taken in the order 2AC, 2DF, 1DF, 1AC (second time in a row I've seen this order, in this case I was a Plat in 1A) but served in the traditional order. There was at least one passenger who didn't want a meal and everyone else got their first choice.

Both options were served with cheese and crackers and a chocolate square.

20240607_190152.jpg

Close up of the new menu item.

20240607_190241.jpg

It was an enjoyable meal with a substantial amount of chicken. Unsurprisingly it wasn't particularly crispy for a karaage chicken in the sky, but the taste was good. If there was one suggestion to make it would be to remove or replace the greens as they were very soggy, tasteless and subtracted from the rest of the meal.

Top ups were offered after the meal service.

20240607_191950.jpg

We made up some time in the air and touched down in Adelaide only about twenty minutes late. As usual try to get a seat on the left side if you can for arrivals as there are fabulous views on approach!

Overall, I would say my experience on this flight was as close to brand-standard as one could possibly ask for. Nothing too over the top but more importantly, nothing to be disappointed about either. If every VA J trip was this consistently good they would have a lot of very happy frequent flyers!

Will be back later for a trip report on the good-but-not-as-good return home.

Ahh .. I think I never really knew what “the pantry” was then, and seemed to get things I wanted (or so similar not to notice) from the buy on board. 🤣

10/06/24 | VA443 | ADL to SYD

Heading home to Sydney on the 8pm flight. I checked out from my hotel at 4pm which gave me plenty of time to explore the Adelaide lounge. This wasn't open the last time I visited in 2020 so it was great to finally experience it! Would be nice if they rolled out the new design across the rest of their lounges, or at least refreshed them like they have done in Melbourne.

20240610_182900.jpg

20240610_183506.jpg

Boarding started almost on time and service got off to a great start with a PDB in hand within moments of being seated.

20240610_194009.jpg

We departed on time and after a bumpy climb out of Adelaide the CM came around to take dinner orders. Options tonight were creamy butter chicken with aged rice and naan or cheese tortellini with tomato pesto. I chose the chicken and to drink it just felt like a Bundy and Rum kind of night so went with that. Orders were taken 1AC, 2AC, 2DF, 1DF and by the time the CM reached 1DF there was one of each option left.

Drinks were brought around first...

20240610_203122.jpg

Followed by the meals. Both options served with cheese and crackers and a chocolate square.

20240610_203603.jpg

Close up of the new menu item.

20240610_203607.jpg

It tasted good but as others have pointed out, two pieces of chicken is a bit light. If I had to choose between this and the karaage chicken on the flight to ADL, I would go with the karaage chicken for portion size.

A drink top-up was provided during the meal service. Service had been pretty flawless up until this point, unfortunately the CM spent the remainder of the flight (most of the time flying over NSW) chatting to the passengers in 1DF and completely ignored the remainder of the cabin. Fortunately my tray table was cleared beforehand, others were left waiting until the announcement to prepare for landing. Understand that it's a late flight after what is presumably a long day for the crew but not the best look, even the passengers in 1DF seemed surprised the conversation carried on for as long as it did. So a slight deduction for this otherwise it was a pretty enjoyable flight.

Last edited:
Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

The karage chicken is delicious!! It was that or pumpkin gnocchi tonight, with optional chorizo.

Great service, although plats seemed to be last on da list to be offered their choice. Luckily everything was still available.

The dude in row three - fully suited up - plonked his carry on above row 2 (clearly marked ‘business class only), despite the lockers over row 3 and 4 being empty. And despite the announcement, decided he was entitled to the forward lavatory! This was towards the end of the flight, no carts in the aisle, no queue down the back. He snuck past the crew when they were doing other things. And annoying, cause i had to wait! :D

CNS-MEL 8pm flight.

Choices were butter chicken or cheese ravioli.

1718618010848.png

Service was very attentive throughout the flight. Offered chips and cheese from the pantry (now that I know what it is).

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back