Vinomofo Wine Deals

Discussion in 'Wine Deals (including "Secret" Deals)' started by DrSammyLee, Aug 21, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Claim your free gift valued at $39.95 when you take the Australian Frequent Flyer's quick user survey. More...

1. DrSammyLee

DrSammyLee Member

Jul 18, 2013
    Sydney
    Twitter:
    In case anyone wants to know today's vinomofo deal.

The secret deal is Tyrell's Lunatiq Heathcote 2010 Shiraz @ $22/bottle.

The black market deal is Hand Crafted by Geoff Hardy 2010 Cabernet Sauvignon @$9/bottle.
    Registered Users don't see this and have the option of removing all other advertisements.  Register HERE

• Like Like x 4
  2. penegal

penegal Senior Member

Re: Epiqure latest offering

Shhhhh :p

Do we need a vinomofo thread somewhere also?

3. phat-dave

phat-dave Member

Dec 30, 2008
    melb.au
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map

probably :D just picked up 36 bottles.... im becoming a big fan of vinomofo

4. DrSammyLee

DrSammyLee Member

Jul 18, 2013
    Sydney
    Twitter:

Another secret was just posted at vinomofo, a 94pt 2011 McClaren Vale Shiraz @ $10/bottle.

I'm pretty confident it's the Richard Hamilton 2011 Shiraz (based on their clues).

• Like Like x 1
  5. Daver6

Daver6 Established Member

Dec 31, 2011
    PER
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map

I came to the same conclusion.

6. DrSammyLee

DrSammyLee Member

Jul 18, 2013
    Sydney
    Twitter:
    #6 DrSammyLee, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
    Vinomofo secret wine deals

The secret wines from today's "The Critic's Choice" wines (free shipping too):

mofo-secret-deal-95pt-adelaide-hills-cabernet-sauvignon-2010- Bird in Hand Nest Egg @$49.50/bottle
    mofo-secret-deal-95pt-margaret-river-cabernet-sauvignon-2010- Wills Domain Reserve Cab Sauv @$27.50/bottle
    mofo-secret-deal-95pt-pyrenees-shiraz-2008- Mt. Avoca Reserve Shiraz @$39/bottle
    mofo-secret-deal-iconic-96pt-chardonnay-2009 - Tyrell's Vat 47 @$39/bottle (Dan's $52.25)
    mofo-secret-deal-iconic-95pt-shiraz-2009- Penfold's St. Henri @$67.50/bottle (Dan's $73.90)
    mofo-secret-deal-96pt-mclaren-vale-cabernet-2010- Chapel Hill 'The Chosen' Gorge Block Cabernet @$32.50/bottle (Dan's $56.05)

I've highlighted my pick of the bunch.

While the St. Henri is a fantastic wine it's not really much of a deal. It's been cheaper on vinomofo before.

• Like Like x 3
  7. phat-dave

phat-dave Member

Dec 30, 2008
    melb.au
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Re: Vinomofo secret wine deals

lovin' vinomofo but i really do wish they had greater selection of whites... specifically sauv blanc

8. DrSammyLee

DrSammyLee Member

Jul 18, 2013
    Sydney
    Twitter:

Seems every fortnight they ask their customers on facebook what variety they want to see next as a deal. You might want to suggest more Sauv Blancs ;)

• Like Like x 2
  9. DrSammyLee

DrSammyLee Member

Jul 18, 2013
    Sydney
    Twitter:

Another secret deal today.

mofo-secret-deal-95pt-margaret-river-cabernet-2010: Xanadu Margaret River 2010 Cabernet Sauvignon @$17.50/bottle (Dan's $29.40).

• Like Like x 3
  10. DrSammyLee

DrSammyLee Member

Jul 18, 2013
    Sydney
    Twitter:

I'm 90% sure these are the wines in the secret deals today:

black-market-deal-mornington-peninsula-pinot-noir-2011 - Duck Sauce 2011 Pinot Noir
    which you can compare the notes with here:
    https://vinomofo.com/deals/duck-sauce-pinot-noir-2011
    Can't say I'm a fan of this one so not recommended from me.

mofo-secret-deal-94pt-barossa-valley-cabernet-2009 - Saltram Mamre Brook Barossa Cabernet Sauvignon 2009

11. asg29e

asg29e Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Adelaide

DrSammyLee do you have some inside knowledge or are you deciphering the rather vague Vinomofo clues?

12. DrSammyLee

DrSammyLee Member

Jul 18, 2013
    Sydney
    Twitter:

I just figure it out based on the clues they give. They give you enough information to work out the wines most of the time (point rating from Halliday etc. and direct from producer price are big give-aways), and plus they tend to do repeats of wines deals. So if you've ordered a few of their deals before (like I have) you tend to recognise some of the wines based on the descriptions.

13. asg29e

asg29e Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Adelaide

Ah, very good. I am new to this site and haven't figured out all the wrinkles yet. I had it in my mind that the recent 2011 Pinot was going to be something else, went to buy it but the payment engine was broken last night and it didn't go through. Pleased about that now.

But I have just bought a dozen of what I hope (going purely on your educated guess!) is the Xanadu Cabernet.

14. DrSammyLee

DrSammyLee Member

Jul 18, 2013
    Sydney
    Twitter:

Good choice! I opened a Xanadu 2010 Shiraz (bought from a previous vinomofo secret deal) last night and it's a damn fine one! I expect the Cabernet to be as good if not better as the Margaret River region in more known for their Cabernet's than their Shiraz's.

• Like Like x 2
  15. DrSammyLee

DrSammyLee Member

Jul 18, 2013
    Sydney
    Twitter:

Vinomofo has a new salvation case offer up (version VII):
    https://vinomofo.com/deals/salvation-case-vii-a9f387b1
    This just means you get a mix pack of a bunch of their recent wines, this one only has reds. The 96pt $90 bottle they mention is the MollyDooker Carnival of Love 2010. They sold this as a black market deal for $29/bottle a week ago. It's a fruit-forward big juicy red catered for American markets, for $29 it's a good deal but not worth anywhere near the $90/bottle they are touting ($40/bottle is about where I'd place it). These salvation cases are a bit of a gamble but if the MollyDooker is the crowning jewel then I can't really recommend it. The last salvation case I bought (version VI) had quite a few duds :(

• Like Like x 4
  16. DrSammyLee

DrSammyLee Member

Jul 18, 2013
    Sydney
    Twitter:

Today's secret deals are:

mofo-secret-deal-iconic-96pt-chardonnay-2009 - Tyrell's Vat 47 Hunter Chardonnay @$34.50/bottle (Dan's $52.25).

mofo-secret-deal-96pt-mclaren-vale-shiraz-2005- Hardy's Eileen Hardy Shiraz @$59/bottle (Dan's $88.35).

17. GCC

GCC Active Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Sydney

Have given Vinomofo a try. Too hard to those damn emails so 1 fathers day six pack and a dozen Heemskerk Abel's tempest Chardonnay on our their way.:)

18. penegal

penegal Senior Member

The Salvation Cases are a bit hit and miss IMHO. I purchased one in the past and they sneakily put a heap of CoTD crap into it (not featured on VM at all).

It would be interesting to see this one as it is "made to order".

19. Daver6

Daver6 Established Member

Dec 31, 2011
    PER
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map

Not so certain about the Eileen as the wine for the secret deal.

Strangely they have this unmasked deal - https://vinomofo.com/deals/chateau-reynella-cellar-1-shiraz-2005-30d529ba being Chateau Reynella Cellar 1 Shiraz.

20. DrSammyLee

DrSammyLee Member

Jul 18, 2013
    Sydney
    Twitter: