Velocity Amex chargeback limits

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickykim

Just looking for group wisdom. I booked accommodation through lastminute.com.au in January 2019 for accommodation in Metz this week. Due to the incompetence of the offsite hotel manager (no response to my phone calls and emails for over 18 hours when after I checked in and discovered no sheets on the bed (yuk) and no towels in the bathroom), I booked somewhere else and left the hotel.

I just tried to do a chargeback via Amex chat and was advised this is not possible as the charge was made to my card more than 3 months ago.

If this is accurate, then there is no security for prebooking accommodation or paying airfares etc if the date of use is more than 3 months out.

Is this correct????

Last edited:
Oops - its a Velocity American Express nothing to do with NAB. If an admin could change the title that would be great.

Very interesting scenario I must admit - clearly the advertised product was not as described, so a chargeback makes sense.
AmEx will most likely request you to seek reimbursement from the merchant, but given the poor history you've mentioned, this does look unlikely.
If AmEx chat are unwilling to assist further, I'd recommend calling up and having a detailed chat with an AmEx rep and explaining clearly the timeline of events and why you're seeking a chargeback.
If this doesn't work out, then you'll have to escalate to a supervisor and keep escalating until you receive your money back.

Good luck with it all, sounds like a very sticky situation indeed (no pun intended)!

There are time limits on chargebacks although I thought it was more than three months.
Have you tried taking it up with Lastminute?

I am also dealing with Lastminute - but didn’t want to lose the opportunity to take it up with Amex if necessary. Lastminute are funny - service failure is in France so their email asked me to urgently call their Australian 1800 number. They are also unable to get the hotel to return a call...LOL. In the bigger scheme of things this isn’t going to wreck my trip, its just annoying.

I guess one of the morals of the story is to always take the slightly more expensive option and pay at the hotel when you arrive.

I found the answer - the advice from Amex online chat was incorrect. The merchant code for failure to provide a service is as follows:

REASON CODE 4553
Not As Described Or Defective Merchandise
Chargeback Reason
Maximum time a dispute can be raised
Maximum time to challenge a dispute
Excluded Transactions
Requirements to challenge a dispute
Either of the following reasons:
1. Card Member received goods and or services that are different than
the written description provided by the Merchant at the time of purchase.
2. Card Member received damaged or defective goods and or services.
One hundred and twenty (120) days from the date American Express Network processed the Transaction, or
One hundred and twenty (120) days from the date the goods and/or services were received.
Twenty (20) days from the date of Chargeback. None.
One of the following items must be provided:
° Proof that a correcting Transaction, which directly offsets the disputed Transaction, has already been processed (Reason 1, 2).
° Proof that refutes the Card Member’s claim that the goods were returned, or services were cancelled (Reason 1, 2).
° Proof that refutes the Card Member’s claim that the quality of the goods or services provided did not match the written description provided by the Merchant at the time of purchase (Reason 1).
° Proof that the Merchant attempted to repair or replace the damaged or defective goods or provide replacement services (Reason 2).
° If the Card Member claims the goods were returned, proof that the Merchant provided its cancellation / return policy to the Card Member at the time
of the purchase, and the Card Member did not comply with the policy,
or applicable laws and regulations (Reason 2).
° Proof that the Card Member agreed to accept the goods or services “as is” (Reason 2).
° Evidence that this Chargeback was raised in error and the disputed Transaction does not qualify under this Chargeback reason (Reason 1, 2).
The Merchant may also submit the following as Compelling Evidence:
° Proof that the goods and or services matched the description provided by the Merchant, e.g. photographs or e-mails (Reason 1).

So if I have no joy with lastminute I will take it up with Amex when I am back in Australia.

Just letting all know the final outcome of this. Lastminute.com.au (Expedia) followed through with the hotel and have rung today to say I will be receiving a full refund from them.

Glad to hear Lastminute came through. I'm a bit of a chargeback king, but generally for small amounts. I must say sometimes I feel Amex just give me the benefit of the doubt and credit these small amounts - and I feel it's out of their own pocket, not the merchants. That actually troubles me - I don't want Amex paying for stuff, I want the merchant to cop the hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back