VA [Inflight] Wi-Fi | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

VA [Inflight] Wi-Fi

Lemon_Party

Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Gold
Flights
My Map
Flew the wifi enabled 738 on Wednesday PER-BNE, no announcements made on availability, but a timely article by AusBT had drawn my attention to it.

Flight was pretty full, and being entertainment via wifi anyway, a lot of people with connected devices would have realised wifi was running as messages, emails etc filtered through.

We watched Netflix most of the flight and was running in HD almost 100% of the time. Web browsing and apps were both pretty good, if a little laggy. Generally with a little loading buffer there was no issues at all. I sent a small video via WhatsApp successfully and tracked flight via FlightRadar24 app.

Ran a few speed tests, between 7-21 Mbps downloads, 0.1 Mbps uploads. iMessage and WhatsApp worked fine, didn't try Skype/FaceTime or WhatsApp voice call.

If the speeds and connection we had are indicative of final service it will be great, particularly on the longer flights. As the wifi wasn't announced, it's hard to tell the demand on the connection - and possibly the speed would drop if more people were using it.

But, consistent quick connection across Australia, and given previous experiences I've had with EK, colour me very impressed.

Pleb Status

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Good to hear that the speed is not too bad. A post from 'the other side' stated that they could only get 480p streaming on YouTube even though they have theoretically three times the bandwidth.

The aircraft, VH-YIG, has been all over the place for the past few days. Scheduled to go to POM tomorrow.

OzEire

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Posting this from VA256 enroute CBR-MEL :)

tixhr492430351.jpg

ICUDr

Flights
My Map
On board of VH-YIG now. Flying BNE-NTL and connected to the free internet.

Really easy to connect to the internet and streaming 480p without any issues.

ozbeachbabe

AFF Supporter
I know two of the 738's have been done but in Shakespearean terms "one swallow does not a summer make."

Velocity wifi.jpg

Vatec

Does anyone know where the status is on the 777-300ERs?
According to this ausbt article there is wifi on VH-VPE, and another by the end of Dec 2017?
I am flying BNE-LAX on the 24th and would love to use the wifi, but it looks like VH-VPE is just going back and forth between SYD and LAX

D

Deleted member 29185

Just noticed this plane at BNE. Does the hump on top indicate a WI-FI ready plane?
IMG_20180103_091106.jpg

dazza_

Flew on VH-VOZ and VH-VPE in the last 2 weeks. VOZ they made an announcement it wasn't available and VPE redirect portal just said WiFi connection not available.

AviatorInsight

Both B737s I flew last week weren’t working either. I thought it was a bit odd that BOTH of them were out on the same day.

Lemon_Party

Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Gold
Flights
My Map
I was on VH-YIF a couple of weeks ago, supposedly the 2nd WiFi 737, but no mention of it on board and couldn’t connect.

DavidFlynn

Virgin Australia 1H18 financials this coming Wednesday Feb 28th, we may get an update on the WiFi rollout then (especially with regard to international services).

Boof1

As far as I’m aware at the moment yes.
From other threads I know you're a pilot AviatorInsight so please don't think I'm trying to be "that guy" with this reply. I promise I'm not!

YFW, YIE, and I think YVD is fitted. The first two I mention are 100% fitted as they have been parked next to flights I was on in the past couple of weeks (I've never struck a flight with it on board!) and I was told by someone they had it on board and FR24 said the rego was YVD so I'm putting 2+2 together for the that one. Maybe the dish is fitted to the roof but it's not activated?

AviatorInsight

From other threads I know you're a pilot AviatorInsight so please don't think I'm trying to be "that guy" with this reply. I promise I'm not!

YFW, YIE, and I think YVD is fitted. The first two I mention are 100% fitted as they have been parked next to flights I was on in the past couple of weeks (I've never struck a flight with it on board!) and I was told by someone they had it on board and FR24 said the rego was YVD so I'm putting 2+2 together for the that one. Maybe the dish is fitted to the roof but it's not activated?
Not at all Boof! I don’t know everything and also rely on other people’s knowledge to get the right answer. So thank you for that. Unfortunately there’s no company document that tells me which one has the Wifi’s or not so when I first get into the flight deck I’ll check the overhead panel for the system controls. It’ll add 100kg to our take off performance figures if installed.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

AFF on Air Podcast

• “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...
  • Are Loyalty Programs a Scam? – AIR020
    Sat, 21 Sep 2019 08:36:18 AEST
      The ACCC recently released a damning draft report into Australian loyalty schemes, calling out practices that it says may shock consumers and putting loyalty program opera ...
  • Air Chathams – AIR019
    Sat, 07 Sep 2019 16:41:06 AEST
      With less than two weeks until the upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer changes, now is the time to make any last-minute Classic Flight Reward bookings! In this episode, Matt ch ...
  • Project Sunrise – AIR018
    Sat, 24 Aug 2019 16:12:31 AEST
      Later this year, Qantas will decide which aircraft it will use to operate non-stop flights from the east coast of Australia to London and New York - a feat it aims to achi ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NS Traveller