VA [Inflight] Wi-Fi | Page 5 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

VA [Inflight] Wi-Fi

Pleb Status

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Does anyone know if any Airbus A330s have WiFi yet, and how many 737s are left to go? I can't seem to find any info on it.
A few of the A332 have WiFi operational within Australia (from personal experience). I believe I was on XFG for my last flight.

Must...Fly!

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Does anyone know if any Airbus A330s have WiFi yet, and how many 737s are left to go? I can't seem to find any info on it.
I think -XFC is done as well based on a report from family member who travelled recently.

henrus

Virgin
Platinum
Seems they haven't added the wifi symbol to the A330 flights on the flight status page.

Sludge321

Flights
My Map
I *think* the wifi symbol was used for the WiFi streaming entertainment on the 737s? Does it show for the F100s they've installed streaming entertainment on? But I could be wrong. I guess wifi/entertainment and wifi/internet access are not necessarily the same thing/product.

henrus

Virgin
Platinum
I *think* the wifi symbol was used for the WiFi streaming entertainment on the 737s? Does it show for the F100s they've installed streaming entertainment on? But I could be wrong. I guess wifi and internet access are not necessarily the same thing.
When doing a route search (only) on the flight status page https://flightstatus.virginaustralia.com it appears with a wifi symbol next to the flight number. This only appears on aircraft that are actually internet connected (wifi entertainment doesn't count as the entire 737 fleet has got this).

At this stage the fleet wifi connection is:

B737-700 = 0/2 - 0%
B737-800 = 67/78 - 85.9% (based on the flight status page)
B777-300 = 5/5 - 100%
A330-200 = 2/6 - 33% (based on the posts above)

The 737-8 connections appear to have basically stopped as April this year saw 84% of the 737-8 fleet connected and I've got my doubt's about the rest actually being getting it because the remaining 11 are the oldest in the fleet.

For comparison Qantas has around 66% of the 737's connected and half of the A330's.

moa999

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
For comparison Qantas has around 66% of the 737's connected and half of the A330's.
Bit above that now for QF
69/75 737s (90% including VXB which is under maint - just VXC, VXU, VYD, VYH, VYJ and XZB (which was the trial aircraft but had it removed))

8/10 332s (Inc EBJ which is under maint. Just EBA and EBK after that). Note the other 8 international 332s and the 333s aren't getting the NBN based Internet at this point)

henrus

Virgin
Platinum
Bit above that now for QF
That's good to know. I was just quoting QF themselves who obviously don't keep their website very up to date.

Regarding XZB the trial plane... any idea why that was removed? Seem's a bit odd.

moa999

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Regarding XZB the trial plane... any idea why that was removed? Seem's a bit odd.
No idea, but confirmed by the spotters photos.
I'd have thought if it was a test unit they'd have replaced it with a newer one rather than presumably patching.

Freqy Flyer

Hi all ... I have a VA flight for the first time in a few years and will need to do some work on the flight so will need to use the wifi. Can anyone help me understand the pricing for Domestic? Does the price differ by flight route? I'm flying BNESYD with VA, and then home PERBNE with them.

Appreciate any insights ...

AFF on Air Podcast

• Married Segments & More – AIR024
    Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:32:20 AEDT
      Airlines seem to love married segments, but for frequent flyers and travel agents they can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes you'll find an award seat on a flight you w ...
  • HARS (Historic Aircraft Restoration Society) – AIR023
    Sat, 02 Nov 2019 13:24:03 AEDT
      The Historic Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) boasts a collection of over 60 aircraft, including a retired Qantas 747, Super Constellation and DC-3s. John Travolta's Bo ...
  • “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...
  • Are Loyalty Programs a Scam? – AIR020
    Sat, 21 Sep 2019 08:36:18 AEST
      The ACCC recently released a damning draft report into Australian loyalty schemes, calling out practices that it says may shock consumers and putting loyalty program opera ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukaussie