using QFF points for overseas relatives?

Discussion in 'Your Questions' started by Myrna, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Myrna

Myrna Active Member

Aug 23, 2002
    I am not sure if anyone has asked this question before. Is it possible for me to use my accrued QFF to purchase a ticket LAX-SYD-LAX for my brother to come to Sydney to visit me? He is a US citizen and lives in the US. Or, QFF can only be used for family living in Australia, but not overseas? Thanks in advance for your answers.
    Registered Users don't see this and have the option of removing all other advertisements.  Register HERE

2. davem

davem Member

Feb 1, 2004
    Sydney
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:

3. QF WP

Jun 20, 2002
    Brisbane
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    Facebook:
    Linkedin:
    Myrna, according to the Qantas FF Terms and Conditions, under Section 10: Redeeming Points, in part it reads:

10.1.4 You may assign any Award you earn through Qantas Frequent Flyer to any member of your family covered in the list below. However, there may be tax implications on such a transfer for Australian taxpayers and you will need to consider clause 10.1.5 below. Your eligible family members may use the Award whether you travel with them or not. Award tickets issued for a member of your family must be in the name of the passenger travelling.

Husband/Wife
    Parents/Step-parents
    Domestic Partner/Defacto
    Children, includes foster and step-children
    Brothers/Sisters
    Half Brothers/Sisters
    Grandparents
    Grandchildren
    Sons/Daughters-in-law
    Brothers/Sisters-in-law
    Fathers/Mothers-in-law
    Uncles/Aunts
    Nephew/Nieces
    First Cousins

They don't care where they live, only that you are a QFF and you have sufficient points in your account to "pay" for the Award. Go on, bring him over!!

4. Myrna

Myrna Active Member

Aug 23, 2002
    Thank you both for your helpful replies. Yes, I have enough QFF points (80,000 for LAX-SYD-LAX) and will bring my brother here for a visit this year. I will phone Qantas to ascertain the availability of seats.