Upgraded runway for Canberra airport

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by oz_mark, Feb 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
(Click HERE for a welcome message from our founder.)

Our site contains tons of information that is guaranteed to improve your travel experience. Be it tips on how to fly in First/Business at a reduced cost, smart ways to earn more points, the best way to use your points, cheap deals, hand-picked hotel recommendations, detailed trip reports.

We hope you find the information useful and decide to join our online community.

Joining AFF is fast, simple and ABSOLUTELY FREE - so why not join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear freeing up more space on your screen!
And you will see fewer advertisements :)

1. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story/0,20281,18286468-5001022,00.html

Advertisement

2. Looks like the work experience kids are writing copy at the Tele again.

3. dajop

dajop Senior Member

Jul 1, 2002
    SIN
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    yeah every time I go there always take the chance to peek at all those 727-400's that QF & JQ operate.

As an aside also heard a rumuor today that someone is looking at WLG-CBR flights, but that may have just been wishful thinking on behalf of the person I was talking to. But would make sense.

4. Skyring

Skyring Established Member

Oct 18, 2005
    Canberra, Australia
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Someone's telling porkies, I reckon. When Bill Clinton flew in a few years back, he brought in two 747s and a couple of widebodies (including a Tristar, IIRC) for the press corps, plus some Galaxies for all his kit. They had to park the extras in the general aviation section.

Interesting to see that Jim Snow has snaffled some more federal funding for his ambitious expansion schemes. Last time I drove past he was putting up another couple of office blocks and a shopping centre.

5. ric_melb

ric_melb Active Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    How could it be that only two 747 flights a year can land?
    Surely none could land or as many as required could land?

And I see so many flights to Hawaii and South East Asia in the next decade, will be a huge demand for this from a city the size of Canberra. :roll: :roll: :roll:

6. Skyring

Oct 18, 2005
    Canberra, Australia
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    The "two 747's a year" thing is politics, because everyone here knows that GWB brought in two on his last visit, but the Queen wasn't allowed to fly a BA jumbo in. Shows who has more pull in Oz.

We're unlikely to see too many international services here. They tried direct flights to Fiji two winters back and only about half a dozen people went, I think.

More likely is that Canberra can serve as an alternate to Sydney if for some reason flights need to be diverted.

7. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Upgrade to pave way for more 747 flights

There was a report on ABC as well about this. I think the bit about APEC gives a clue as to the real reasons behind this.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200602/s1579166.htm

8. straitman

Apr 27, 2003
    SE Oz (Sale)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    This is all to do with "Pavement Concessions" where as a certain number of overweight movements per annum are allowed beyond an airfields normal limits. These are calculated in accordance with the individual a/c weight and potential damage to the tarmac and/or runways. Similar to the introduction of B Double trucks who were limited (at introduction) to their number of trips on certain roads.

8) 8) 8)

9. Skyring

Oct 18, 2005
    Canberra, Australia
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    The Canberra Times is reporting that GWB's visit in 2004 resulted in 32 "heavy movements" and consequently the tarmac has to be rested for 10-15 years.

They are going to fix the thing up by applying layers of new surface between ten at night and six in the morning.

I'm a month ahead of embargo on this, but the intersection of the two runways at Canberra Airport will also be upgraded to include a roundabout.

10. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Sounds wishful thinking to me, although surprisingly I did hear a year or so ago that NZ was looking at AKL-CBR. Nothing came of it.

11. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    :lol:

Being CBR I thought they would have used all day between December and February to do runway work. :p

Will the new terminal be built inside the roundabout?

12. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Which one? There a quite a few in Canberra, some are almost large enough to accomodate a runway or two.
    :p

13. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    I know, but I was referring to skyring's suggestion that runway will include a roundabout. Will traffic lights be installed at the taxiway exits? Are windowashers going to need a ladder to properly clean the windows? Will they chuck some grass on the roof of the terminal?

14. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I saw the humor as well and was posting in kind.... :?

Maybe I was just too suttell :p

15. dajop

dajop Senior Member

Jul 1, 2002
    SIN
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    The question really should be will there be enough curvature on the runway at CBR that means by the time a plane pulls up it will be back at the same point it started from when its' wheels first touched the ground? And will there be a row of flagpoles alongside the runway and bikepath around it as an alternative means of transport?