Uncapped points cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panda_

Hey everybody,
Have received a letter in the mail this week saying that my ANZ Frequent Flyer Black card will delete its AMEX card in a couple of months time and that the earning rates on the VISA will become capped at the same time.

At the moment I spend around $150K - $200k a month on a mixture of AMEX and VISA using this card netting me on average 230K points a month. Can anybody advise on a similar card that may be uncapped that I should switch to? Features I'm looking for:

Uncapped points earning
AMEX and Mastercard/VISA
Multiple card holders
Not too concerned about an annual fee if its earning me decent points - at the same time if there is a first year no fee that would be great!

Cheers in advance!

panda

With that level of spend I would probably go for a CITI Prestige VISA and depending on the type of spend couple it with either an AMEX Platinum Charge or AMEX Explorer.

Wow, wish I could spend that amount per month and pay it off straight away. Me and my coughpy $2-6k a month :)

For the Amex part, you are almost certainly going to have to move to a direct issued Amex Card.

For Visa/Mastercard uncapped 1 point per dollar cards are going the way of the dodo. The interchange fees simply won't support it, and the 1:1 tiers that do exist seem to be being funded partly from the annual fees. [AFAIK ANZ Is remaining uncapped - it is just tiered]

Having said that, I believe Bank Australis still have a 1:1 card, so that may be an option - but how long it stays that way is anyones guess.

How much normally goes on the Visa card?

Definitely a combo of AMEX issued AMEX cards - probably a Plat Charge and the Explorer depending on your spend profile.

Surely the Citi Prestige is a good Visa option - apart from that things start to get a bit scratchy - especially given there are bound to be more "enhancements" coming this year. A little out there but perhaps the Coles Rewards Mastercard could be an option - assuming you like Velocity Points - 0.87 VFF points / $.

Edit: Forgot to mention there is no cap on earn on the Coles card, but transfers to VFF are capped at 138k pts / year. After that you'll need to transfer to Eithad at an earn rate to 0.8pts/$ - Eithad transfers are uncapped.

I also support the Prestige as a great all rounder with 1:1 earn rate.
I reckon if ANZ combo is currently working for you, stick with it until closer to August cut off as everyone else will show their hand. You can then choose from the new offers particularly once Visa and MC are crimped with the new rules.
How is your spend split between Amex and Visa currently?
Might be worth getting an Amex in the meantime and harvesting a sign on. Platinum Charge card might be good so you might not have to load it mid-month after you've established your credit with Amex.
Amex explorer ($50k max limit might be an inconvenience) would likely match your current ANZ Amex earn rate (charge earns less on non bonus category spend).

Last edited:
Hi Panda,

An enviable position to be in and its very nice when the points are in. I have the Citi Prestige and Amex Platinum & Centurion and I think this will be as good a combo as you can get. The Citi Prestige is the go to card (do the first month and sign up bonus to QF and then cancel the QF) and taken everywhere and pretty excellent uncapped points. The Platinum has a 300k bonus limit before dropping to 1ppd. The Centurion has a 700k bonus limit before dropping to 1ppd. Both are uncapped and have bonus points on restaurants, travel and overseas spend. You can also get companion cards with both which add another 100-150k bonus limit for each.

Whilst the Centurion is invite only and generally requires time, I was first offered after 9 months and you have quite a bit larger spend than i do. I would suggest you send copies of your previous statements to them and ask to be parachuted straight into it.

My two cents.

Moindardt

Panda we run with Citi Prestige for lots of stuff. This may change in July if the RBA gets the interchange fee capping.

Hi I would go for the Amex platinum or platinum edge card and Diners + M/C. Diners isn't accepted widely but their points rate are uncapped on the M/C and at the moment give either a higher or equal rate as the others. Citi, Hsbc, ANZ will all be changing their points and capping structure in the next few months

Looks like Diners is remaining uncapped but not escaping the points cuts.

I have about half your spend and I keep going back to the explorer.
yes it has a max 50k limit, however 2pts/$1 for everything and no yearly/monthly cap on points.

I just keep paying it off once i reach my limit. once you link the rewards program (its 2KrisFkyer/$1).
Even if I have to pay 2.4%+GST surcharge to use the amex its worth it in the long run!

the platinum charge can offer a higher credit limit but only 300k pts/year and its a tiered earn.
the business platinum is in a similar boat.

though I'm happy to be proved wrong :)

I have about half your spend and I keep going back to the explorer.
yes it has a max 50k limit, however 2pts/$1 for everything and no yearly/monthly cap on points.

I just keep paying it off once i reach my limit. once you link the rewards program (its 2KrisFkyer/$1).
Even if I have to pay 2.4%+GST surcharge to use the amex its worth it in the long run!

the platinum charge can offer a higher credit limit but only 300k pts/year and its a tiered earn.
the business platinum is in a similar boat.

though I'm happy to be proved wrong :)

daft009, have you had any experience in putting the Explorer into credit to pay a large bill?

Don't try that deka2. Because American Express is a US bank you should go up to your limit and pay it down then do the rest of the bill payment. I know that Amex can stop a card working if it goes seriously into credit.
You can try to get a $100,000 credit limit on his and hers cards so paying up towards $200,000 per go then reload is something I used to do. It means you start paying a few days early as the re-load is not instantaneous.

daft009, have you had any experience in putting the Explorer into credit to pay a large bill?

I have done it but by only $2-5k on a number of occasions.
IE: I will bpay a large amount into it today. It will show as credit tomorrow morning and then that same day I'd use it all. Never left it in credit "overnight"

I was warned by several people here on AFF not to put my Explorer card in credit because it could cause problems. I have had my card in credit every month since I opened it at the end of last year. Sometimes by up to $10,000 in order to pay some bills. Never had any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back