Triple points promotion

Status
Not open for further replies.

pauly

I received a flyer stating a 3x points promotion had been applied to my signature card.
T&Cs: bonus applies to spend between 15 and 31 August and cap of 20k in points. It explicitly states 'no activation required'.

When my statement failed to show any bonus points, I called them. They believe that at some stage since January 2013 the telesales team must have activated it on my account. Naturally, they can't identify what the promotion is or the when it is active (which is why they asked for a photo - but I no longer have it). For my troubles, they credited my account 2k points and I'm getting a call back tomorrow.

I'm thinking that the very same ineptitude that is delaying my points may create an opportunity for others (who didn't receive the flyer) to benefit. Only cost being that you need to call them..

Unsurprisingly, bonus points aren't credited automatically AND they can't tell whether the promotion has ever been on your account.

Had I saved the flyer I would be inclined to post it here so everyone could have easily secured 3x points for August.

I received some snail mail from Citibank last week, telling me that I'll receive one bonus point for every dollar I spend during September, capped at 10,000 bonus points, but it excludes International and Bonus Partner transactions.

Using them for Velocity points, that gives my Citibank Signature card a slight edge over my NAB Velocity Platinum Amex, so the latter card will be taking a bit of a rest this month.

So far, the bonus points have been added as the transactions appear, but the fine print says that it "may take up to 10 weeks after the promotion".

I've almost accumulated the 15,000 Citibank points required to exchange them for 10,000 Velocity points. Bring on the next transfer bonus! :cool:

Have a 'free for life' city visa (Plat) which has been dormant with a zero balance.

The plat earns at 1¼ points per $ and can be redeemed to Velocity @20K CitiRewards-> 10K Velocity - so at 0.68 earning I have better options.

However, I received a 3x points offer for September with a cap of 20K.

Would than mean eligible spend should earn 3¾ points per $ with the offer? That would be 1.88 Velocity per $$ which is somewhat better.

Anyone with related experience?

If so, it may be worth pursuing, at least until the20K is reached.

Last edited:
Hi Serfty you are correct.

3.75 points per dollar which equates to 1.875 velocity points per dollar

cheers
leyy

Hi Serfty you are correct.

3.75 points per dollar which equates to 1.875 velocity points per dollar

cheers
leyy
Well, I paid a small bill earlier in the week to test and this is not precisely what happened.

I was only credited with 3¼ points per $ which is (1¼ + 2) x $ spend, rather than the anticipated 3¾ points with this.

Perhaps Citi's computer see base points at 1 with a standard ¼ bonus for the Platinum (½ for the Select) so I would be getting triple on the 'base' points.

That mean it's only 1⅝ (1.625) VA/SQ points per $, so not as lucrative.

However, 'tis still better than 1½ so I'll make use of it.

Was this a targeted offer serfty​? I don't remember seeing anything about a triple points offer.
I had this in the past when I had a Platinum and a Citibusiness Gold. It does seem to be targetted because in my case I got this (twice) for a card I had not been using. Serty's post above suggest the same for his invite.

Was this a targeted offer serfty​? I don't remember seeing anything about a triple points offer.
As indicated, it looks to have been targetted.

Offer received with a snail mail card.

I'll scan and post - it clearly states 3x, not 2.6x ... not gunna sweat it as:

1) it would mean calling citibank :shock: and
2) the additional spend to reach the 20K limit is minimal.

Typical Citi! ... did a small International transaction and only received the standard 3 points per $$ - there is no caveat on the offer document about this.

Still won't call the time cost/benefit I perceive is minimal.

Triple Points December - Possibly targetted?

Hi All,

Received a few minutes ago an email from citi offering triple points for December. At first I thought it was the same supermarket offer that i've gotten in the past but upon closer inspection realise it's for all spend, except international and bonus partners. Which makes it quite a good offer, however as my card is on BT, i'm not going to be able to take advantage.

I presume it's probably targeted, but in any case check your email.

citi triple.jpg

Typical Citi! ... did a small International transaction and only received the standard 3 points per $$ - there is no caveat on the offer document about this.

Still won't call the time cost/benefit I perceive is minimal.
A check showed points earned under this ceased after 13,334 awarded ...

Last edited:
Re: Triple Points December - Possibly targetted?

I only got double... Boo

I got an email offer of of triple points but only for supermarket spend. I'd nearly started rejoicing since I was paying for some life miles and hotels for next year. Oh well, I can hope to to get a better offer..or not.

Re: Triple Points December - Possibly targetted?

however as my card is on BT, i'm not going to be able to take advantage

This shouldn't stop you (it hasn't stopped me). Payments are applied to the items with the highest interest rate first so as long as you make a payment a day or two after you make a purchase, you will only ever pay a day or two's worth of interest. Your balance transfer will continue on as is.

I received the offer
of triple points on my signature card which earns 1.5 Citibank points per dollar. If I am reading the flyer correctly I will earn 4.5 points per dollar up to a maximum of 20,000 points earned. I am very grateful for the offer but it would have been much simpler and more transparent to state triple points up to a spend of $4444. I am sure some people will spend in excess of this thinking it is up to 20,000 extra points. Please feel free to correct me if I have interpreted the offer incorrectly.

I received the offer
of triple points on my signature card which earns 1.5 Citibank points per dollar. If I am reading the flyer correctly I will earn 4.5 points per dollar up to a maximum of 20,000 points earned. I am very grateful for the offer but it would have been much simpler and more transparent to state triple points up to a spend of $4444. I am sure some people will spend in excess of this thinking it is up to 20,000 extra points. Please feel free to correct me if I have interpreted the offer incorrectly.
If it is the same as in September, then the following will happen.

You would earn 2 additional citi rewards points per $ on normal transactions giving for the select 3½ in total and nothing extra on international.

Once 13,334 additional points are earned then the bonus will cease - so spend to earn is $6,667

Last edited:
My last 2 statements have earned a true triple points for the signature card. I did get caught out by the 20000 points thing. But 1131 base and 2262 bonus followed by 11379 base and 13334 bonus.

The base however are not 1.5 times the closing balance.

Confirmed due to points being calculated based on rounding down to the whole dollar amount of each transaction. Note the citibank data download feature is rubbish.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back