Travelscene American Express

Discussion in 'American Express Rewards' started by JohnK, Feb 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    Does anyone know much about Travelscene American Express?

The travel agent I have used occassionally in the past has now become a Travelscene American Express franchise. In the past I was able to pay for flights using my Amex credit card without any surcharges.

I booked a flight for my mother the other day and asked if I could pay with Amex. They said yes but there is a 3% surcharge. What! The consultant on the phone then said she could reduce the surcharge to 2.75%. Forget it, I would rather pay by cash.

The way I understand it is that Travelscene has formed an alliance with American Express. How can they justify a surcharge for Amex credit cards?

2. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    It seems strange, although to be fair to the travel agent they are a franchise and the American Express thing is just about branding (and getting plugged to Amex cardholders). If there is a discrepancy between the surcharge on the Amex card and what you get on, say, a Visa card, then perhaps you could file a report with Amex who then may negotiate a better deal with the agency.

3. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
  4. SeaWolf

SeaWolf Active Member

Jan 24, 2007
    Sydney
  5. codash1099

codash1099 Established Member

Aug 2, 2006
    PER
    Strange. I've booked with Travelscene in the past and they applied no surcharge other than that applied by the airline (Qantas in this case). Could be a branch to branch thing.