Travel to 2020 Tokyo Olympics | Page 6 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Travel to 2020 Tokyo Olympics

GarrettM

Flights
My Map
Be a while before I sort flights. Plenty of revenue options to/from NRT/HND through Singapore. Won't be hard to find a decent turnaround.

hachoo

Similar to cove but in reverse (?), I booked JAL Business MEL to NRT to get there. Trying to book the flight back in economy (flights back with classic rewards on the date i'm heading back have large stopovers) but it wants me to do it in JP Yen. Any way to tweak this on the QF website to pay in AUD?

exceladdict

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Gold
Flights
My Map
If
Similar to cove but in reverse (?), I booked JAL Business MEL to NRT to get there. Trying to book the flight back in economy (flights back with classic rewards on the date i'm heading back have large stopovers) but it wants me to do it in JP Yen. Any way to tweak this on the QF website to pay in AUD?
If it's a one way ticket departing Japan it would be a Japanese point of sale thus be priced in JPY.

hachoo

If it's a one way ticket departing Japan it would be a Japanese point of sale thus be priced in JPY.
Makes good sense. Wasn't sure whether i could change it to AUD for ease in transaction but I'll have to crack out the fee free card to pay it in JPY. Cheers.

Locked in my Tokyo accommodation for a month from mid-July 2020 yesterday... even at a place I've stayed over 40 times, they could only offer me a smaller room at a 50% premium ("special" rate for returning guests). Works out to around AUD160 per night at the monthly rate and current exchange rate, which is still fine.

The bigger rooms are going to be limited to groups of 3-4, and charged at around triple the standard rate.

While I was waiting to hear back from them I explored some of my usual other options, and found that some of them will be using a lottery-type system for bookings. Triple the standard rate began to look cheap by the end of it all...

hachoo

Locked in my Tokyo accommodation for a month from mid-July 2020 yesterday... even at a place I've stayed over 40 times, they could only offer me a smaller room at a 50% premium ("special" rate for returning guests). Works out to around AUD160 per night at the monthly rate and current exchange rate, which is still fine.
Where abouts is this if you don't mind me asking? Every where aside from capsule hotels are pretty much booked out, not available or are charging mega premiums at the present time.

cove

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Are there any issues with debit and credit cards in Tokyo? We would tend to use Citi debit and Bankwest World.....will they work ok?

exceladdict

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Gold
Flights
My Map
Are there any issues with debit and credit cards in Tokyo? We would tend to use Citi debit and Bankwest World.....will they work ok?
I've heard it's important to carry some cash too.

GarrettM

Flights
My Map
I've heard it's important to carry some cash too.
Yes cash is good, and ATMs are everywhere. I'll be using my ING debit card with no overseas fees.

Just booked my flights today, so I'm all good aside from travel insurance.

All up with airfares, hotel, and tickets to about a dozen events over eight days I've managed to keep the total cost to just over $5k.

Could do with a few more sports I wanted but reasonably happy with that.

cove

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
You did very well GarrettM !
We did get JAL in business by using the 365 day advance booking.
The hotel we ended up paying directly as booking.com payment system failed. They then said we could get a room for 50% more than we paid. I don't want to deal with them ever again and that would be too soon...

nlagalle

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
My accomodation was booked via the Organising committee as we are accredited media. Was about $120 US per night for the hotel we were allotted.

just locked in airfares travelling J for about $3.2k so pretty happy about that

GarrettM

Flights
My Map
Well I never had much of chance of being accredited, but any possibility of that happening disappeared during the week.

hachoo

Very decent effort GarrettM. I managed to get a decent room @ 2.5k~ alone for 11 nights, JAL J (QFF) and QF Y back and about 8ish events.

Booking.com is full of overly inflated prices. Don't know how people are going if you're not into capsule hotels or dodgy 'studio' apartments.

AFF on Air Podcast

• Status Runs – AIR026
    Sat, 14 Dec 2019 07:15:21 AEDT
      If you're a little bit short of the next airline status tier, a status run can get you over the line. In this episode, learn about the best status runs with Virgin Austral ...
  • British Airways Executive Club – AIR025
    Sat, 30 Nov 2019 22:53:26 AEDT
      Many Australians join Qantas Frequent Flyer by default. But even if you fly with Qantas regularly, you could benefit by using the British Airways Executive Club frequent f ...
  • Married Segments & More – AIR024
    Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:32:20 AEDT
      Airlines seem to love married segments, but for frequent flyers and travel agents they can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes you'll find an award seat on a flight you w ...
  • HARS (Historic Aircraft Restoration Society) – AIR023
    Sat, 02 Nov 2019 13:24:03 AEDT
      The Historic Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) boasts a collection of over 60 aircraft, including a retired Qantas 747, Super Constellation and DC-3s. John Travolta's Bo ...
  • “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
B donnelley