Travel Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

acampbel

Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2005
Messages
351
Points
0
Re: Still can't believe the hide of it !

Dave Noble said:
... Have you looked at annual policies. You'll likely find that the price for an annual policy ( which tend to allow max trip time of 31 days per trip ) is cheaper than that ...

The QBE annual policy is $590, which would come down to $472 if the 20% discount was honoured. For my single trip the premium was $277, which included an excess buy-out and covers my Award tickets.

It would surprise me if anyone offered an annual policy for less than this. Westpac (Vero) quote $878 with a $75 excess for theirs, Cover More didn't offer an annual policy through their web site but they quoted $472 for the single trip and this didn't include a rental car excess benefit (add another $100!).

In any case, most of my travel is for work and so they provide cover for the rest of the year .... or at least I presume they do.


Cheers,

AC


And BTW - don't be fooled by the so-called reciprocal arrangement between the NHS and Medicare. My wife & I were in the UK when she was expecting our son, and she was due for the 20-week ultrasound. We visited a doctor who pointed (not referred) us to a local public hospital who were quite happy to do the 20-minute check. They were even happier to present us with a bill for 150 squid! When we queried this they explained patiently that pregnancy was a pre-existing condition and therefore not covered under the arrangement. Mean coughs!
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
Points
0
Re: Still can't believe the hide of it !

acampbel said:
It would surprise me if anyone offered an annual policy for less than this. Westpac (Vero) quote $878 with a $75 excess for theirs, Cover More didn't offer an annual policy through their web site but they quoted $472 for the single trip and this didn't include a rental car excess benefit (add another $100!).

Columbus Direct now has an Australia section and they have an annual worldwide policy which allows trips of max length 60 days for AUD250

Cover limits are per person
Cancellation $12,500
Curtailment $12,500
Personal Accident $62,500
Medical Expenses $12.5 million
Hospital Benefit $3,750
- Hospital Benefit Limit per day $125
Personal Baggage $6,250
- Valuables Limit $750
- Single Article Limit $750
Delayed Baggage $500
Personal Money/Documents $2,500
- Cash Limit $875
- Documents Limit $875
Personal Liability $5 million
Legal Expenses $62,500
Travel Delay $500
Abandonment $12,500
Missed Departure $2,000
Hijack $7,500
- Hijack Limit per day $250
Catastrophe $1,250
Collision Damage Waiver $2,000

EXCESS $250 for Medical Expenses claims.
$125 for claims under the following sections: Cancellation and Curtailment; Personal Baggage; Money/Documents, Personal Liability; Abandonment.

acampbel said:
And BTW - don't be fooled by the so-called reciprocal arrangement between the NHS and Medicare. My wife & I were in the UK when she was expecting our son, and she was due for the 20-week ultrasound. We visited a doctor who pointed (not referred) us to a local public hospital who were quite happy to do the 20-minute check. They were even happier to present us with a bill for 150 squid! When we queried this they explained patiently that pregnancy was a pre-existing condition and therefore not covered under the arrangement. Mean coughs!


As far as I was aware , the reciprocal agreements cover emergency treatment so wouldn't have expected the ultrasound to be covered


For those interested just in car hire excess reductions, http://www.insurance4carhire.com/ offer an annual policy which covers Europe, South Africa, New Zealand and Australia for all rentals of up to 30 days when the rental is > 140Km from normal place of residence. This costs GBP59 per annum ( approx AUD140 ). For a Worldwide Policy which includes US and CA for GBP99 (AUD234).

Dave

Dave
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
43,831
Solutions
13
Points
3,300
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Re: Still can't believe the hide of it !

Dave Noble said:
... Columbus Direct now has an Australia section and they have an annual worldwide policy which allows trips of max length 60 days for AUD250

Cover limits are per person
<snip> ...

EXCESS $250 for Medical Expenses claims.
$125 for claims under the following sections: Cancellation and Curtailment; Personal Baggage; Money/Documents, Personal Liability; Abandonment.
...
Dave
Good one Dave! It's about $90 less then my current one (which is about to expire).

Two Q's: Does it cover:
1) ProRata compensation for loss of FF points? &
2) Travelling Companion ?
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
Points
0
Re: Still can't believe the hide of it !

serfty said:
Two Q's: Does it cover:
1) ProRata compensation for loss of FF points? &
2) Travelling Companion ?

You can get a "couple" insurance for AUD389 , but I don't know if they have restrcitions on what constitutes a couple.

As far as compensation for FF points, I suggest giving them a call and asking them ( ph: 1300 669 999 08:00 - 18:00 )

Dave
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,497
Points
1,295
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Re: Still can't believe the hide of it !

Dave Noble said:
As far as compensation for FF points, I suggest giving them a call and asking them ( ph: 1300 669 999 08:00 - 18:00 )
Does it provide compensation for being forced to sit next to an arrogant Merkin for 14 hours? Or perhaps for broken IFE? How about a compensatory palm tree for an operational downgrade? Or perhaps 50,000 AA miles for being served fish on a BA flight?
 

markis10

Veteran Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2004
Messages
30,449
Points
10
Re: Still can't believe the hide of it !

acampbel said:
The QBE annual policy is $590, which would come down to $472 if the 20% discount was honoured. For my single trip the premium was $277, which included an excess buy-out and covers my Award tickets.

It would surprise me if anyone offered an annual policy for less than this. Westpac (Vero) quote $878 with a $75 excess for theirs, Cover More didn't offer an annual policy through their web site but they quoted $472 for the single trip and this didn't include a rental car excess benefit (add another $100!).


QBE Mutlitrip Annual is $392 after discount at Travel.com. which say they offer 20% off! Covers the 4K car excess as well which comes in handy, I would not asusme your work has coverage, it woul dbe interesting to check that out including what they exactly cover!

Thats for a single, and if you loose points, they calculate the loss as a dollar vlaue equivalent to the class of fare paid!
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
Points
0
Re: Still can't believe the hide of it !

NM said:
Dave Noble said:
As far as compensation for FF points, I suggest giving them a call and asking them ( ph: 1300 669 999 08:00 - 18:00 )
Does it provide compensation for being forced to sit next to an arrogant Merkin for 14 hours? Or perhaps for broken IFE? How about a compensatory palm tree for an operational downgrade? Or perhaps 50,000 AA miles for being served fish on a BA flight?

All of these are reasonable expectations though I would suggest checking with the company to be sure

Dave
 

cabbage74

Intern
Joined
Mar 28, 2005
Messages
91
Points
0
Re: Still can't believe the hide of it !

Dave Noble said:
Columbus Direct now has an Australia section and they have an annual worldwide policy which allows trips of max length 60 days for AUD250

Cover limits are per person
<Snip>

I remember looking into Columbus Direct however as with many travel insurance companies they include this little annoyance.

IMPORTANT NOTE: No cover is presently available for the countries and regions for which the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade advises against travel or recommends travellers reconsider their need to travel.

And that kinda kills it for me :( Fortunately 1Cover provide cover for those nasty places.

The other thing which kills me is the lack of cover for "professional" sports, even if not really a professional. So for 7 days it cost me $250 :twisted:
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
43,831
Solutions
13
Points
3,300
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Re: Still can't believe the hide of it !

cabbage74 said:
... And that kinda kills it for me :( Fortunately 1Cover provide cover for those nasty places.

The other thing which kills me is the lack of cover for "professional" sports, even if not really a professional. So for 7 days it cost me $250 :twisted:
Unless you are being paid to participate a sporting activity should not be classed as 'professional".

As I have posted before in this thread, maybe you could try this for $340 PA.

This does have the following clause under "Exclusions": "races (except on foot); mountaineers – or rock climbs – using support ropes; or takes part in a professional sporting activity".
 

straitman

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Apr 27, 2003
Messages
17,888
Points
855
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Gold
Re: Still can't believe the hide of it !

serfty said:
As I have posted before in this thread, maybe you could try this for $340 PA.

This does have the following clause under "Exclusions": "races (except on foot); mountaineers – or rock climbs – using support ropes; or takes part in a professional sporting activity".

serfty,

Excellent :!:

I must have missed this in the past. :D :D :D :D
 

cabbage74

Intern
Joined
Mar 28, 2005
Messages
91
Points
0
Ok, sorry about my earlier post... in 1cover's fine print they say no to the nasty places. Are there any online companies which actually do offer direct quotes for climbers?
 

cssaus

Active Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2004
Messages
941
Points
265
My annual QBE travel policy is about to expire and I'm tossing up whether to get another one or go with the policy that comes with the AMEX platinum card.

I'm somewhat inclined to getting a new annual QBE policy rather than sticking with the AMEX one as it would seem that the benefits are somewhat more generous.
 
Transform your lounge room (or any indoor space) into your own private movie theatre in just a few seconds.

Our Mini Pocket Projector is small, light and easily transportable. A must have!

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

markis10

Veteran Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2004
Messages
30,449
Points
10
Re: Still can't believe the hide of it !

serfty said:
cabbage74 said:
... And that kinda kills it for me :( Fortunately 1Cover provide cover for those nasty places.

As I have posted before in this thread, maybe you could try this for $340 PA.

This does have the following clause under "Exclusions": "races (except on foot); mountaineers – or rock climbs – using support ropes; or takes part in a professional sporting activity".

Does not cover Domestic trips re delays or flights back if something happens, otherwise it would do me.
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,497
Points
1,295
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Re: Still can't believe the hide of it !

serfty said:
This does have the following clause under "Exclusions": "races (except on foot); mountaineers – or rock climbs – using support ropes; or takes part in a professional sporting activity".
So amateur BASE jumping is ok, so long as they don't deem the parachute to be connected to the harness with "supporting ropes".
 

cabbage74

Intern
Joined
Mar 28, 2005
Messages
91
Points
0
Re: Still can't believe the hide of it !

NM said:
serfty said:
This does have the following clause under "Exclusions": "races (except on foot); mountaineers – or rock climbs – using support ropes; or takes part in a professional sporting activity".
So amateur BASE jumping is ok, so long as they don't deem the parachute to be connected to the harness with "supporting ropes".

Two options
A) Supportive ropes connecting to parachute - insurance void
B) No supporting ropes - great insurance.

Wow, not having insurance never looked so safe :p
 

Maca44

Established Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2005
Messages
1,306
Points
420
I thought when I looked up www.travelinsurancedirect.com.au that the policy included loss of FF points due to unforeseen cancellation, however, I am now unable to find the relevant part on the website.

Has it changed and they no longer offer cover for loss of ff points, or am I mistaken and it was it never there in the first instance.
 

aus_flyer

Established Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2005
Messages
1,562
Points
415
I would be very surprised if they offered points refunds.

The Qantas travel insurance (underwritten by QBE) does, but Allianz is not connected to QFF in any way (that I know of) so I don't see how they could refund points, even if they wanted to.
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,497
Points
1,295
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
odoherty said:
I would be very surprised if they offered points refunds.

The Qantas travel insurance (underwritten by QBE) does, but Allianz is not connected to QFF in any way (that I know of) so I don't see how they could refund points, even if they wanted to.
The only thing they could do is to make appropriate alternate bookings on paid fares for you, or to put some arbitrary dollar value on the points and pay for that amount as a cash compensation. But I am not aware of any TI products that do it except the one bought through Qantas.
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
43,831
Solutions
13
Points
3,300
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Maca44 said:
I thought when I looked up www.travelinsurancedirect.com.au that the policy included loss of FF points due to unforeseen cancellation, however, I am now unable to find the relevant part on the website.

Has it changed and they no longer offer cover for loss of ff points, or am I mistaken and it was it never there in the first instance.
Not points exactly, but a pro-rata $ payment is made.

Here are some excerpts from the Product Disclosure Statement that is linked to here in the Summary:
Frequent Flyer Points: cover extends to pay the equivalent if you lose frequent flyer or equivalent points which you used to purchase your travel.
We will pay you for loss of frequent flyer or similar air travel points you used to purchase an airline ticket following cancellation of your air ticket and you cannot recover the lost points from any other source. The cancellation must be due to unforeseen or unforeseeable circumstances outside of your control. We calculate the amount we pay you by multiplying:

• the cost of an equivalent class airline ticket based on the quoted retail price at the time the ticket was issued, less your financial contribution;
• by the total value of points lost divided by the total value of points used to obtain the ticket.
 

Maca44

Established Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2005
Messages
1,306
Points
420
Thanks Serfty. I recall you posting this information previously, and although I tried searching, could not find it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top