Travel insurance when plane diverted enroute

Discussion in 'Travel Insurance' started by Mal, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    The Jetstar diversion to Bali today piqued my curiosity from a Travel Insurance perspective:

Some Travel Insurance products in the market include clauses that state that coverage is invalid if you are visiting countries that Australia has advised against travelling to, or to that Australia says to reconsider your travel to.

Indonesia is on the list of countries that Australia advises you to reconsider your travel to:
    Travel Advice for Indonesia - Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade

In the situation where your plane is forced to land in a similar country, do you really think that an Insurance company could deny you coverage if you became sick and needed an airlift, or your baggage got stolen etc.

2. stryker

stryker Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Did you say "insurance company"? You have your own answer, I think.

3. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    I believe, iirc, most policies do cover you if you end up in such a place due to actions outside of your control

Dave

4. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I once had a conversation with an Insurance company person about this, and the issue they had was more with actually being able to provide the contracted service (the example was airlifting someone from Afghanistan - if they could they would do it, but they might not actually be able to do it).

I can't imagine that there would be a problem if you arrived in a country due to circumstances you had no control over.