Travel agent gone AWOL

I would be interested to know from those who have been happy with him what was so "special" he could do that other TA's can't.
It’s many and varied, but by its nature I don’t think it could be discussed here.

Some could be done by other TA’s if they knew how, but I don’t think many other things could.
 
I would be interested to know from those who have been happy with him what was so "special" he could do that other TA's can't.
As I said saved thousands. I had been. using OW Circle Asia fares that were ~ $A5000 in J. He put together itineraries that more than matched the miles but at~ $3500 in J and 5500 in F. If a sale then F could be 4500. Now it meant 2 BA F flights but we also had more JAL flights in F and a few on CX.
Our TA who is excellent couldn’t match it. Helped Mrsdrron retain WP and me get BA gold.
 
It’s not about what you know - it’s who you know.
I think this case it’s also what you know. He deeply understands the booking engines (from memory Amadeus) and the airline side commands and data fields better than almost all TAs

Most TAs don’t deeply understand what they are doing anymore, outsourcing ticketing but also relying on the GUI functionality overlaid on the GDS, which often lacks the intricacies of the DOS-style commands.

On top of that he reads and understands the routing rules and can spot where that may leave room for either issues or advantage.

I work as a TA and still refer people to him!
 
I think this case it’s also what you know. He deeply understands the booking engines (from memory Amadeus) and the airline side commands and data fields better than almost all TAs

Most TAs don’t deeply understand what they are doing anymore, outsourcing ticketing but also relying on the GUI functionality overlaid on the GDS, which often lacks the intricacies of the DOS-style commands.

On top of that he reads and understands the routing rules and can spot where that may leave room for either issues or advantage.

I work as a TA and still refer people to him!

It's definitely both - but I think the case for his skills and knowledge has been well documented in this thread - I'm just adding another layer that hasn't been discussed.
 
As a data point, MR is my TA and while he’s been quiet on WhatsApp etc he’s been very responsive to well titled emails where I’ve clearly laid out what I need and by when - as recent as this week.

Legally if you are on QF stock and the funds have gone to QF, your ticket remains valid regardless of what happens to the TA. I can’t speak to the situation of OP but there’s a fair bit of pile on going on in this thread by people who have no business with him.

MR has gone above and beyond for me over the years and his expertise is quite rare - I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve had to hand my phone over to a check in agent while he’s walked them through how to fix something in their system.

The amount of free advice and assistance he’s given to AFF members over the years shows his character, and frankly I’m appalled at the mud slinging that’s gone on in this thread. He is one guy and when you are his client you go in to that with your eyes open, it’s not a flight centre business he’s running.
I feel the same. Have used MR for many years and have referred at least 8 other people to him. His style may not work for everyone, but we have really appreciated his knowledge and willingness to assist.

I hope he has been able to have a bit of a break.
 
Elevate your business spending to first-class rewards! Sign up today with code AFF10 and process over $10,000 in business expenses within your first 30 days to unlock 10,000 Bonus PayRewards Points.
Join 30,000+ savvy business owners who:

✅ Pay suppliers who don’t accept Amex
✅ Max out credit card rewards—even on government payments
✅ Earn & transfer PayRewards Points to 10+ airline & hotel partners

Start earning today!
- Pay suppliers who don’t take Amex
- Max out credit card rewards—even on government payments
- Earn & Transfer PayRewards Points to 8+ top airline & hotel partners

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back
Top