Time to credit Qantas bonus points

Mr H

Established Member
Has anyone had recent experience with the sign up bonus for Westpac Altitude Qantas Black card? I took this card out in December, met the required spend straight away and have just got my first statement - the spend points are there but no bonus points. I know the terms and conditions say the bonus is credited within 12 weeks of meeting the spend requirement, but with other cards I have always got the bonus on the first statement after making the required spend. This is a bit of a curve ball - just wanting to get the points, close the account and move on. I'm wondering how long others have had to wait...

I took out a Westpac Altitude Rewards (non-Qantas) card a few months ago and the bonus points came through with the first statement.

Unfortunately I have also had experience (with the Westpac subsidiary Bank of Melbourne) of bonus points not coming through as they should. When I called, they advised that they wouldn't look into it until the 12 weeks had passed. They did look into it and gave me the points after the 12 weeks had passed, but, as you say, it was a pain having to wait that long. Unfortunately, if the points don't come through automatically, there's not much you can do until those 12 weeks have passed.

I took out a Westpac Altitude Rewards (non-Qantas) card a few months ago and the bonus points came through with the first statement.

Unfortunately I have also had experience (with the Westpac subsidiary Bank of Melbourne) of bonus points not coming through as they should. When I called, they advised that they wouldn't look into it until the 12 weeks had passed. They did look into it and gave me the points after the 12 weeks had passed, but, as you say, it was a pain having to wait that long. Unfortunately, if the points don't come through automatically, there's not much you can do until those 12 weeks have passed.

Thanks Human. That is what I feared. It has rather messed up my plans - but more fool me for making plans with such little margin for error.

November 2022 with the Altitude Black: Completed spend in first month and recieved bonus points at the end of the first month.

Westpac is telling me now that I am not eligible for the sign up bonus because I had a card within the previous 12 months. They say they did not actually cancel my account until February 2022, even though I called to cancel my account on 22 November 2021. Sadly I have no written proof. Live and learn.

Westpac is telling me now that I am not eligible for the sign up bonus because I had a card within the previous 12 months. They say they did not actually cancel my account until February 2022, even though I called to cancel my account on 22 November 2021. Sadly I have no written proof. Live and learn.
This is what worries me about applying for a NAB card.
I closed an account in Dec 2020, yet every 6 months they generate a $0 statement and occasionally send a message like "your online statement is available". I have called and asked them about it and they said I don't have an account anymore (it's not on my credit record), and when I log on the card is under "closed or hidden accounts". I don't want to waste $150 on a fee or my time arguing for points if they try not to give them to me.

I called up again today and asked for progress on the bonus QF points and verifying the date my last card was closed. I was told there was nothing to tell me and these cases take five business days to resolve. I said fair enough, but if I didn't get the points in my next statement cycle, due at the end of this week, I would close my account and seek a refund of my annual fee because they had not done what they said they would do. A couple of hours later, I got an email telling me they have awarded the points out of cycle and they should be with me within three days. So I have got what I was entitled to, it wasted an extra two months in getting there, but I feel like I have got out of the doldrums.

Last edited:
Just got my first statement and met the 4k minimum spend, earn points were credited to my QFF account but not the bonus points... Guess I'll be waiting 2 more months :( anyone know if Westpac do a pro-rata fee refund?

anyone know if Westpac do a pro-rata fee refund?

I do not ask for pro-rata refunds because (a) I think we are already on a very good deal by insisting that the banks stick to the letter of the introductory offer and it seems churlish to ask for more; and (b) I worry that refunds would bring scrutiny which would then bring nearer the day they find ways to change their offers in ways that are disadvantageous for churners.

disadvantageous for churners.
I fear the heady 'free & easy' churning days will come to an end soon (which will be a bummer for many of us). I churn 5 cards a year....its just a game to me with a great payoff that I cannot lose....I forsee things changing unfort.

Just past 12 weeks after meeting the minimum spend. No bonus points. Lodged a formal complaint.
Post automatically merged:

I fear the heady 'free & easy' churning days will come to an end soon
Nope. But the game is always changing.

I called up again today and asked for progress on the bonus QF points and verifying the date my last card was closed. I was told there was nothing to tell me and these cases take five business days to resolve. I said fair enough, but if I didn't get the points in my next statement cycle, due at the end of this week, I would close my account and seek a refund of my annual fee because they had not done what they said they would do. A couple of hours later, I got an email telling me they have awarded the points out of cycle and they should be with me within three days. So I have got what I was entitled to, it wasted an extra two months in getting there, but I feel like I have got out of the doldrums.
Do you still have the same log in details to the online banking?

I had the exact same issue but as i have a bank account my user details remained the same. All historical Westpac correspondence is available online under notifications (top right) including cancellation letters.

I advised them of this and got my bonus paid in about a week.

Do you still have the same log in details to the online banking?

I had the exact same issue but as i have a bank account my user details remained the same. All historical Westpac correspondence is available online under notifications (top right) including cancellation letters.

I advised them of this and got my bonus paid in about a week.

I think so but I'm really not sure. It did have my previous correspondence in the notifications section.

Anyway, I have closed my account, moved on and been accepted for a Bank of Melbourne card which should bring me about 86,000 KrisFlyer points and get me into a Priority Pass lounge in Kishinev when I fly Tarom in Y.

I think so but I'm really not sure. It did have my previous correspondence in the notifications section.

Anyway, I have closed my account, moved on and been accepted for a Bank of Melbourne card which should bring me about 86,000 KrisFlyer points and get me into a Priority Pass lounge in Kishinev when I fly Tarom in Y.
it will have a dated letter for your closure, i wouldn't worry about it now with travel tomorrow but if you were entitled to the bonus i'd lodge a complaint when you return and escalate to AFCA if necessary.

They will not let it go to AFCA if you were generally entitled

it will have a dated letter for your closure, i wouldn't worry about it now with travel tomorrow but if you were entitled to the bonus i'd lodge a complaint when you return and escalate to AFCA if necessary.

They will not let it go to AFCA if you were generally entitled

I got my points a few days ago - but would have pursued it. The irritation is the potential churning opportunities I missed while waiting for points that were not going to come without intervention.

I’m not travelling tomorrow but will be travelling soon enough for it to be an obstacle to a churning blitz.

Couple of points / questions i want to add here.

1) Signed up, met criteria first day and got the first statement on 22nd Jan, 2nd statement 22nd Feb and amazingly have not had a third statement hit my account.. Is this completely weird or what? have attached a pic below.
2) If you guys are looking for confirmation on previous account closure it can be found on credit savvy which shows last reported and status. Has worked well for me instead of checking other methods such as email / letters etc

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-05 at 10.42.21 pm.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-05 at 10.42.21 pm.png
    48.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5853.jpg
    IMG_5853.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 8
Update: My points have been rejected as they fall under government transactions namely Royal thai consulate where i was attaining a visa.. Do T&C state Australian government specifically?

Update: My points have been rejected as they fall under government transactions namely Royal thai consulate where i was attaining a visa.. Do T&C state Australian government specifically?

The terms and conditions say:

1680752303395.png

Looks pretty clear to me. You might call them and threaten to close your card if you don't get the points but if your card has been dormant for four months then it could be a difficult pitch.

Alternatively, assuming it was a black card you went for, you could still be just within the 120 day spend period - so just spend the required money.

I had a good experience with this card (Velocity rather than Qantas flavour).

Applied for Platinum Velocity 7 March
Approved 11 March (after they requested some extra docs beyond payslips)
Card arrived 16 March
Min spend for bonus made 22 March
Statement 13 Apr confirming points + bonus

70k points showing in Velocity account + 30k “Velocity exclusive bonus” (could have been status credits or a Coles gift card) also on 13 April

There’s also a $15 Amazon credit or 3 months free Prime in the rewards section of the app

My experience with the Westpac QF card as a data point, second statement produced today, hit the SUB during this period. QF points are in my account already.

If there's any issue with the spend, calculate the amount of QF points which have been awarded for normal spend divided by earn rate (0.5/0.75:$) to work out how many $ points have been awarded on. That'll determine whether they've decided you've met the target or not.

Back