There's a new card in town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks to be a better option than Altitude, if you exclusively move your points to the QFF program.

Interesting (small) trap with this card in the fine print...

The interest-free period of up to 55 days does not apply to cash advances or Qantas transactions that are eligible for the lower interest rate of 5.99%pa.

So any QF purchases automatically start incurring the 5.99%, quite an inconvenience for those used to the 55 day. But the bonus is an extra bonus point/dollar spent (for $1000 get 1000 pts, but that will cost $5 if it isn't to be paid for a month.

Also notes that Earth+ has a feature "Save on foreign currency transaction charges", but I can't find where this is quantified. Cannot easily find a PDS that should show this.

dajop said:
Interesting (small) trap with this card in the fine print...

So any QF purchases automatically start incurring the 5.99%, quite an inconvenience for those used to the 55 day. But the bonus is an extra bonus point/dollar spent (for $1000 get 1000 pts, but that will cost $5 if it isn't to be paid for a month.

Also notes that Earth+ has a feature "Save on foreign currency transaction charges", but I can't find where this is quantified. Cannot easily find a PDS that should show this.

The Qantas interest charge isn't an issue - unless you phone up and request the Qantas discount rate... Similar to Commbank's offer of discount % charge on certain puchases (Great Rate, I think it's called). So if you don't request the 5.99% after you've made a purchase, then you pay back the money on the normal terms.

See http://earth.com.au/features/qantasservices.aspx for more info.

As for the foreign currency savings, agree it isn't fully quantified elsewhere. I did find a snippet that suggests the benefit is the following:

" * No Westpac foreign exchange fees for overseas purchases
* No Westpac cash advance fees on overseas ATMs
"

dajop said:

I am not sure that the product has been formally released just yet, and it looks like there are a few loose ends. I can find references to the PDS, but not the PDS itself.

oz_mark said:
I am not sure that the product has been formally released just yet, and it looks like there are a few loose ends. I can find references to the PDS, but not the PDS itself.

You're right, I can't seem to find it either. But they seem to have formally released it enough to play TV ads and have an "apply now" button. :rolleyes:

I'm glad to see more competition among rewards cards... it can only be good for us

The Earth+ is a bit odd though... the whole product is pitched as "low rate with rewards", but with Earth+ you pay a higher fee, but get a higher rate. The added benefits of the Earth+ seem pretty vague without these PDSes. I'm not sure why someone would pick Earth+ over Earth, unless the card looks more wanky :p

But the strangest thing is that it seems like Westpac is hiding the fact that they've issued the card... they only seem to be mentioned in the fine print, and you seen language like
You will now be transferred to the secure online application form (powered by Westpac).

I wonder if Earth is a fully Westpac card, or if it's an arrangement like the Virgin Money card, marketed by Virgin but operated by Westpac?

Nobby said:
You're right, I can't seem to find it either. But they seem to have formally released it enough to play TV ads and have an "apply now" button. :rolleyes:

Yes, I saw the ads playing on TV tonight, with reference back to the website, so it has been launched.

Nobby said:
The Earth+ is a bit odd though... the whole product is pitched as "low rate with rewards", but with Earth+ you pay a higher fee, but get a higher rate. The added benefits of the Earth+ seem pretty vague without these PDSes. I'm not sure why someone would pick Earth+ over Earth, unless the card looks more wanky :p

For someone travelling overseas, the travel insurance and savings on transaction fees could be worthwhile. The rate being higher probably comes out of their financial modelling for the card, haing to price in the insurance and reduced fee income from overseas transaction. If you pay the balance off on time each month, the point is moot.

Nobby said:
But the strangest thing is that it seems like Westpac is hiding the fact that they've issued the card... they only seem to be mentioned in the fine print, and you seen language like

I wonder if Earth is a fully Westpac card, or if it's an arrangement like the Virgin Money card, marketed by Virgin but operated by Westpac?

I was wondering about this strategy myself. They seem to be distancing it from Westpac, but when you delve into the detail you find that the earth website is owned by Westpac, and makes it pretty clear it is a Westpac product. I guess there is some marketing strategy behind it all.

Nobby said:

I have the suspicion that it is actually a Westpac product, as Westpac customers have the option of linking their Earth card to their existing Westpac accounts; something which generally isn't possible with co-branded cards.

Also, the actual application is processed through the Westpac site (unlike Virgin).

Daniel

I've taken the plunge and applied on-line for the Eart Card (benefits of Earth+ did not grab me) Next day approval came from Westpac.

I went for it because I want to ditch my green Amex Card. This new card is cheaper than the Amex as well as having the lower interest rate. Obviously my old green amex is a charge card and the new Earth Amex is a credit card - yet to see the pre-approved limit.

This will leave me with the Woolworths mastercard and now the Earth Amex/Mastercard; probably the best combo at the moment for cards around the $40 annual fee with at least a "dollar for point" Rewards Program.

Might post more here later on the approval/collection process and other experiences.

browski said:
I've taken the plunge and applied on-line for the Eart Card (benefits of Earth+ did not grab me) Next day approval came from Westpac.

Might post more here later on the approval/collection process and other experiences.

Please do. I'm seriously considering replacing my current Amex cards with this one. I really don't use the charge card enough anymore to justify the annual fee - the credit version suits me fine.

I got my earth+ card on Friday. It's a neat looking card, and arrived in the post with the insurance conditions.

Interestingly, the card also includes extended warranty and purchase protection cover, I didn't see that on the website. The userguide and interest rate information etc is sent separately, so should receive that Monday.

The MasterCard hologram has been moved to the back of the MasterCard card. Have been into a Westpac branch, set a PIN and linked my Westpac account with no hassles.

I was told the card was sent through the mail as it was a transfer from another Westpac card rather than new application. Cards from new applications still go to a branch for collection.

Just be careful after the 30 November cut-off time when the earn rate for QF points drops back to .5 ff point per AUD$1 spent

Earth.com.au states:

Double Qantas Frequent Flyer points
Until 30 Nov 06, we're offering double points. So that's:
  • 2 points for every $1 you spend on your Earth American Express® Card
  • 1 point for every $1 you spend on your Earth MasterCard® card.
Ongoing Qantas Frequent Flyer points

After 30 Nov, you can still earn lots of Qantas Frequent Flyer points:
  • 1 point for $1 you spend on your Earth American Express Card
  • 0.5 point for every $1 you spend on your Earth MasterCard card (accepted at over 23 million locations worldwide)
  • An extra point for every $1 you spend on certain Qantas products and services
The Amex Rewards Maximiser give bettern than either of the above earth cards, albeit it costs a lot more too, but the burn rate is identical to the altitude program.http://ad.au.doubleclick.net/activity;src=1196570;type=westp444;cat=qanta922;ord=1;num=1?_uacct = "UA-31057-14";urchinTracker();

Went in to collect my new Earth Cards today.
As not a Westpac customer I had to take along income details etc. Usual feeling of annoyance when people rifle thru your personal income details. Sucked it up and left with the cards.

I think this is the combo for me now. I'm probably going to forget about the Earth Mastercard except for emergency cash advances.

Low cost Earth Amex with 1:1 QFF points. No Capping. 12.49%
Low cost Woolworths Mastercard 1:1 QFF points. No Capping 15%

Only received a few thousand dollar limit, but I suspect that after a month or 2 the inevitable credit increase letters will arrive.

Will report back later on the ease of points transfer and any other surprises.

By the way, hadn't been in a Westpac branch for along time. Why do banks think that kindergarten decor is attractive - do they hope to attract mothers or something.
1982 is a long time ago, I guess, but its predecessor, the Commercial Bank, may have baulked if they had the seen the decor and staff of the future.

My first lot of points from my earth card appeared in my qff account today, about ten days after my first statement.

Since i've had it with the ANZ Qantas card, I've decided to get one of these but unfortunately my name is too long for the damn website!

"Christopher" being such an unusual name, it's probably my fault. :rolleyes:

Chrisb

Interested to hear other people's experience of the Earth Card ... I just sent off an application for one tonight.

Main selling point was the double points on QFF until November and ongoing double points if using the Earth AMEX to buy Qantas product. As I plan to be flying QF domestic a lot in the next 12 months, it seemed like a good deal.

The Qantas-branded AMEX was tempting with the current offer of 2,500 points when using the card for the first time and a one-off bonus of 2,500, but the $100 annual fee put me off, compared to the Earth card's $49 fee.

The other 'Gold' cards with free travel insurance, etc were tempting, but didn't really work out as a great deal as any international travel I'll be doing will be with my fiancee, who I assume isn't covered by my card insurance (could be wrong about this, haven't read the t&c's fully).

Anyway, will be interesting to see how quick their turnaround is.

chrisb said:
Since i've had it with the ANZ Qantas card, I've decided to get one of these but unfortunately my name is too long for the damn website!

"Christopher" being such an unusual name, it's probably my fault. :rolleyes:

Chrisb

Finally! Someone else with this problem.. I have several credit cards where my name is listed as 'Christophe' - i'm not joking, some are just set to 10 characters maximum..

Doug_Mi16 said:
Interested to hear other people's experience of the Earth Card ... I just sent off an application for one tonight.

Going well so far. I got my first statement today, so I logged into Qantas and the points had already posted. Excellent!

I'm still a little disturbed by the lack of support Amex cards have with retailers - I had to resort to the Mastercard for about 1 in 4 transactions.

Also, I had a little argument about them about insurance coverage on award flights, but otherwise it's all good.

Oh, have a read of the insurance docs, however it seems partners will be covered if you're travelling together and the flights for your both are on your card.

Chrisb.

ps. AND, they got my name right on the card - The last letter wasn't missing from Christopher. :)

I'm thinking of dumping my ANZ Qantas Credit Card for the earth card.

It seems to be much better value.

Has anyone got one of these cards and what's it like?

Does anyone think ANZ will match the rate if I threaten to leave?

No ANZ will not match anything if you leave. I stoppedmind today and the guy was in a hurry to finish the transaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back