There seems to be a Sale on Qantas.com | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

There seems to be a Sale on Qantas.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,562
Flights
My Map
It does not seem to have been advertised but there seems to be a Sale on Qantas.com.

(I posted this on FT as well.)

I was looking for a BNE-MEL return in MAR/APR/MAY and was checking availability when up came the inclusive fares of AUD110 each way. :shock: (Normally AUD160)

This does not appear to be advertised.

I have now selected my flights and completed my booking. It has been ticketed at $223.59 (Inc CC $4.40 booking fee).

Further checks reveal BNE/SYD & MEL/SYD @ AUD90. SYD/ADL @ AUD 110 & SYD/PER @ AUD200. There would certainly be more ...

These fares are available around Feb 24th for the FT AGM and the late May period for those considering going to OzFest ...
 

wiz

Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2006
Messages
136
Excellent observation. The sale prices don't even show up on the "prices from your city" red-e-deal link, but when punched in to the booking engine I got Perth to Sydney for $200 (in February)! Sale could be for travel from now until July school holidays perhaps? Someone with more time should confirm these dates. :D
 

N860CR

AFF Supporter
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
3,330
:( I can't seem to find any. Anyone managed to find SYD-MEL-SYD at the cheaper fare in Feb/Mar anytime?
 

Mal

AFF Supporter
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
12,267
Flights
My Map
Can't find any BNE-MEL @$110 for any dates up to the end of May.

Looks like the mini sale has ended... (Or was it a rare fare glitch?!)
 

lovetravellingoz

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
5,729
Yes I saw them too ...just after lunch today...and booked 4 tickets for mid July as I will be ata conference...and so grabbed them for my wife and 3 daughters....

$110 each way tickets for Melbourne Brisbane return;)

I had been watching since Xmas...and this was the first time it dipped under $160

So a saving of 4 by $50 by 2 = $400
 

lovetravellingoz

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
5,729
Looks like it was a mistake fare..

When I booked mid afternoon there were 12 flights @ $110...Melbourne Brisbane

Now they are all $160.

I had originally looked "flexible with dates"...so that was 7 days up...7 back all at $110...all with a dozen flights per day.

Now all are at $160...which is where they have been since I have been monitoring from Xmas time for this period.

So I am a happy chappy that I acted straight away to book 4 return tickets.
 

Travel Guru

Established Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2006
Messages
2,002
QF have been having some issues with their YQ Tax (Fuel Surcharge) quoting in the GDS of late, i can only speculate that perhaps it occured in their own system.

Great luck for those who found them.

TG
 

lovetravellingoz

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
5,729
Yes the difference does seem to be the fuel fines and taxes....

Glad to get a fare without paying them fora change:) :)

Originally thee were also fares for MEL-SYD-BNE for $160...and they are now $227 as well.
 
Last edited:

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,226
serfty said:
Further checks reveal BNE/SYD & MEL/SYD @ AUD90. SYD/ADL @ AUD 110 & SYD/PER @ AUD200. There would certainly be more ...
Great find Ross!

Just my luck the gremlin was only temporary. :rolleyes:
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
JohnK said:
Great find Ross!

Just my luck the gremlin was only temporary. :rolleyes:
Well done to all those who were able to take advantage. As with FT's mileage run forum, it is a matter of regularly checking for opportunities.
 

vt01

Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2006
Messages
374
Seems the cheapest is now $107.. this is only on a flight from Syd to BNE leaving from the international terminal. The rest are $110.

Any idea why $3 cheaper? Are there different taxes leaving from the international terminal or does QF think it's a $3 inconvenience to you!
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
vt01 said:
Seems the cheapest is now $107.. this is only on a flight from Syd to BNE leaving from the international terminal. The rest are $110.

Any idea why $3 cheaper? Are there different taxes leaving from the international terminal or does QF think it's a $3 inconvenience to you!
Taxes are different from international terminal. The WG safety and security charge is 0.87 from SYD international terminal and 3.09 from domestic terminal. Add in GST and rounding in the fare.
 

Evan

Established Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2006
Messages
3,168
No doubt different taxes. (Kiwi Flyer has the answer and posted before me)

I often used to take the extensions of HKG-MEL and then to SYD i think it was because it was a good time of the day and always always had cheaper fares available at the last moment for the early morning flights. (And not just $3, hundred or more when the other flights are busy)

They just put the orange sticker on your boarding pass and use your license for ID and never had any problems, not even a delayed flight out of MEL, often had more delays on the regular MEL-SYD flights.
I am sure its just my lucky though with the delays.

Evan
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
Evan said:
No doubt different taxes. (Kiwi Flyer has the answer and posted before me)

I often used to take the extensions of HKG-MEL and then to SYD i think it was because it was a good time of the day and always always had cheaper fares available at the last moment for the early morning flights. (And not just $3, hundred or more when the other flights are busy)

They just put the orange sticker on your boarding pass and use your license for ID and never had any problems, not even a delayed flight out of MEL, often had more delays on the regular MEL-SYD flights.
I am sure its just my lucky though with the delays.

Evan
Note if not Australian you need a passport. Other government issued photo id is not good enough :(

As for delays, well for one you'd expect QF wouldn't combine 2 international flights for the hop unlike domestic flights with low loads.
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,562
Flights
My Map
Mal said:
Can't find any BNE-MEL @$110 for any dates up to the end of May.

Looks like the mini sale has ended... (Or was it a rare fare glitch?!)
Methinks it may have been a fare glitch. Not just Fuel Fines either, as they are now @ $26 per booked domestic segment and the fare was down $50 each way on those advertised.

FWIW, the only break down I can now get is:
  • Fare: $135.24
  • +++ : $ 88.35
  • Tot.: $223.59

Of the $88.35 there is an obvious $4.40 CC fee and $13.52 GST on the fare. With two segments worth of fuel fines that's another $52.00 making $69.52 leaving 18.83. This is composed of "SAFETY AND SECURITY CHARGE" (WG) (2.31 ex BNE and 2.18 ex MEL), "PASSENGER SERVICES CHARGE" (QR) (for each MEL arrival and departure at 3.38) and relevant GST and we get close to that figure.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,806
Flights
My Map
serfty said:
Of the $88.35 there is an obvious $4.40 CC fee and $13.52 GST on the fare. With two segments worth of fuel fines that's another $52.00 making $69.52 leaving 18.83. This is composed of "SAFETY AND SECURITY CHARGE" (WG) (2.31 ex BNE and 2.18 ex MEL), "PASSENGER SERVICES CHARGE" (QR) (for each MEL arrival and departure at 3.38) and relevant GST and we get close to that figure.
And just wait until they add the AVOD Replacement Surcharge, Staff Off-shore Relocation Surcharge, and Government Lobbying Surcharge to the fare structure.
 

lovetravellingoz

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
5,729
serfty said:
Methinks it may have been a fare glitch. Not just Fuel Fines either, as they are now @ $26 per booked domestic segment and the fare was down $50 each way on those advertised.

FWIW, the only break down I can now get is:
  • Fare: $135.24
  • +++ : $ 88.35
  • Tot.: $223.59
Of the $88.35 there is an obvious $4.40 CC fee and $13.52 GST on the fare. With two segments worth of fuel fines that's another $52.00 making $69.52 leaving 18.83. This is composed of "SAFETY AND SECURITY CHARGE" (WG) (2.31 ex BNE and 2.18 ex MEL), "PASSENGER SERVICES CHARGE" (QR) (for each MEL arrival and departure at 3.38) and relevant GST and we get close to that figure.

Yes they are what are printed on the receipt....but if it was a mistake...then those items may of course be wrong too....

..or it may be jsut that the fares were wrongly priced...or...
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,562
Flights
My Map
Methinks the fares were wrongly priced ... by Qantas. Shame I only scored the one ...
 

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,740
Flights
My Map
Posted on FT as well..


On the off chance that the Jetstar sale had spread to QF, I looked at some prices in May, and indeed it appears that there is some form of sale going on. Perhaps they haven't announced it yet, but the prices from various ports to MEL (looking for ozFest fares) seems to be sale prices.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

  • The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...

Community Statistics

Threads
82,013
Messages
1,896,597
Members
49,848
Latest member
Rajdev9009
Top