The worst credit card offer in the world - $53 credit limit, $247 in fees. | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

The worst credit card offer in the world - $53 credit limit, $247 in fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,796
Flights
My Map
And we often complain about Aussie banks finding inventive ways to hit us for with fees. I can't imaging how anyone could buy into a $25 fee to increase your credit limit by $100. I have been receiving regular offers to increase my Citibank credit limit by $10,000 (for no fee). I called tem about it yesterday, and thanked them for reminding me that I wanted to adjust my credit limit on that card and asked for it be changed from $22,750 to $5000 (rather than the $32,750 they were proposing), and they did it there and then while I was on the phone and did not charge me a fee for the service!
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
To be fair though NM - you are probably not a sub-prime borrower. This card is designed to give people with zero credit rating an opportunity to build up a credit rating. It is a horrendous card from the fee perspective and I hope I never have to use one. All the fees are clesrly spelled out on the website and once you have paid your initial fees you have a $500 credit limit. Again not brilliant by any stretch but an option for sub-prime borrowers.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,796
Flights
My Map
simongr said:
To be fair though NM - you are probably not a sub-prime borrower. This card is designed to give people with zero credit rating an opportunity to build up a credit rating. It is a horrendous card from the fee perspective and I hope I never have to use one. All the fees are clesrly spelled out on the website and once you have paid your initial fees you have a $500 credit limit. Again not brilliant by any stretch but an option for sub-prime borrowers.
And I too hope I never need such a card.
 

Alan in CBR

Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2004
Messages
308
I have a friend who has recently moved to the US. He has citizenship there due to having a parent who was born there, so has a brand spanking new US passport and Social Security Number. Unfortunately his credit history from Australia is useless, so he can't get either a home loan or a normal credit card.

Last time I spoke to him he was weighing up whether to get one of these rip-off cards just to establish a credit history.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,796
Flights
My Map
Alan in CBR said:
Last time I spoke to him he was weighing up whether to get one of these rip-off cards just to establish a credit history.
Has he got an Aussie Amex card? Someone recently posted a link to the Amex site where they will transfer the card from Australia to USA for you, thus retaining the credit availability.

Otherwise I would be going for a Visa Debit card as a way of starting a credit reference. The US credit system is somewhat screwed.
 

clifford

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jul 6, 2004
Messages
1,776
Alan in CBR said:
I have a friend who has recently moved to the US. He has citizenship there due to having a parent who was born there, so has a brand spanking new US passport and Social Security Number. Unfortunately his credit history from Australia is useless, so he can't get either a home loan or a normal credit card.

Last time I spoke to him he was weighing up whether to get one of these rip-off cards just to establish a credit history.
So why go?
 

Febs

Established Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2006
Messages
1,659
Alan in CBR said:
Unfortunately his credit history from Australia is useless
So theoretically, what if an Australian CXO of a large company on say, $500k per annum moves to the US and has never lived there before? He wouldn't be able to get a credit card?

Wouldn't proof of earnings be enough to at least procure some form of semi-decent credit card (and in your friend's situation too)?

Cheers,
- Febs.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,796
Flights
My Map
Febs said:
Wouldn't proof of earnings be enough to at least procure some form of semi-decent credit card (and in your friend's situation too)?
Wasn't enough for one of my work colleagues who moved from UK to USA. He is earning well over US$100K and had a letter from our company confirming his employment and earnings. He could not even get a US-based Corporate Diners Club card after having a UK one for at least 5 years previous. Eventually they gave him one, with a $500 limit.

He had to start with a Visa Debit Card and then eventually to a $500 credit limit with BoA. He eventually married an American and they used her credit history to get a card in joint names.
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
And this is the sort of reason why I don't agree with the idea of allowing credit agencies to have records beyond what they currently have

Dave
 

tuapekastar

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 16, 2005
Messages
4,315
Flights
My Map
NM said:
Otherwise I would be going for a Visa Debit card as a way of starting a credit reference. The US credit system is somewhat screwed.
I recall reading probably 15 or so years ago about a well known American cartoonist (can't recall just who), very well paid, very well off, who had avoided credit cards all his life, paying cash for everything, then decided upon retirement that he wanted a CC with a very modest limit...no dice! Couldn't get anything.
 

opusman

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 27, 2006
Messages
5,273
It's still pathetic but if you actually read the T&C of the card it does clearly say the initial credit limit is $300 - the $53 comes after all the setup fees have been charged to the account.
 

Febs

Established Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2006
Messages
1,659
opusman said:
It's still pathetic but if you actually read the T&C of the card it does clearly say the initial credit limit is $300 - the $53 comes after all the setup fees have been charged to the account.
True, but given the market these card providers target ("prey on"?), there's a good chance they couldn't instantly pay back that $247, leaving them with a credit limit of $53.

Cheers,
- Febs.
 

Alan in CBR

Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2004
Messages
308
clifford said:
So why go?
Odd question. The job was a good opportunity, the pay was good and the location is nice. Only downside is he might need to spend a few hundred dollars on a rip-off credit card to establish a credit rating. Hardly a deal-breaker.

NM said:
Has he got an Aussie Amex card?
Unfortunately not.
 

AnonymousCoward

Established Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2005
Messages
3,199
Febs said:
So theoretically, what if an Australian CXO of a large company on say, $500k per annum moves to the US and has never lived there before? He wouldn't be able to get a credit card?
Well some banks offer to port the necessary information about your banking history across. HSBC is promoting this right now IIRC
 

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,653
Flights
My Map
AnonymousCoward said:
Well some banks offer to port the necessary information about your banking history across. HSBC is promoting this right now IIRC
IIRC HSBC do this through their premier product.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
81,298
Messages
1,875,180
Members
49,186
Latest member
zmz0701
Top