Sydney Noise Levy

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by oz_mark, Aug 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Reading some older papers today, I noticed that the Noise Levy at Sydney Airport was scheduled to cease June 30, 2006. As I wouldn't put it past the govt in extending this tax, does anyone know when it is scheduled to end?

2. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    My understanding is that it is gone.

So airfares should show a reduction in their price.

Did it happen?

You be the judge.

I'm sure the ACCC would be interested in cases where an airline didn't pass on the savings from the reduction in a tax - then again, I spose a fuel induced increase in the base price wouldn't be unfair would it?

3. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    IN amongst the 'evening out' process Qantas went through with the fares, I doubt I'd be able to pick whether it was removed or not.

4. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    So with reissues of xONEx's currently being free, I could reissue to get a refund. Nah, not worth it.

5. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    I don't think so.

A couple of weeks ago QF had a mini sale to major capital cities. When sale finished I noticed the SYD-BNE price jumped to $115 o/w and the SYD-MEL price jumped to $125 o/w. There is something weird going on and it is not price reductions.

6. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    'Tis now a standard fare of $125 each way MEL/SYD for a red e-deal (N class); I did not realise the 3.74 noise levey was being dropped; makes one very cynical about the QF publicised 'evening up' like it's a benefit.

In reality, there's generelly been a difference in fares BNE<>SYD & MEL<>SYD; so that is really not a useful measure.

FWIW, BNE<>SYD ona basiv red e-deal (N) is currently $115.

7. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Always promising when Qantas posts something like this on their Agents site:

"Domestic Fare Update
    09 August 2006

Effective immediately Qantas has increased the following fares (NSXO/ OPTWEBU). These increases will apply to all mainline direct services. Additionally Qantas Link have increased the following Fares on selected markets (MPXO/RPXO/LPXO/VPXO/SPXO/NSXO/OPTWEBU). Associated wholesale fares will also be increased effective 16 August 2006.
    Refer to FQD/FQN for full details.
    "

It's pretty much impossible to tell the difference between fees, charges, taxes, fuel fines, what should be in a fuel fine but is in the base price etc. Especially after the recent changes that Qantas made to "even out" the flight prices.

Time will tell if the ACCC will take any action to help clean up the airline industry. Alas, I'm not sure it will happen.

8. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    I did a comparison of changes pre/post July 1st in the thread Qantas to "even out" fairs between city pairs and the fare between SYD-BNE was o/w $111 now o/w $115 and SYD-MEL was $121 o/w now o/w $125. So clearly there has been another increase in the last 6 weeks.

In the above thread it is mentioned that the noise levy was due to change but no mention that it would be abolished from SYD airport. Either way airfares continue to increase and we are still none the wiser if it base fare increase or fuel levies added to base fare instead of increasing fuel levy or if they have dropped noise levy but have included it in a different way to base fare.