Status Credits with competition flight

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by brisbull, Dec 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. brisbull

brisbull Intern

Jun 27, 2005
    Hey Forumites

I was lucky enough to win a competition recently, one involving Qantas Frequent Flyers and Optus mobile. Being the winner, they have given me 2 return business class flights to London, with Qantas. Yep, thats right!!!

My first reaction was 'Awesome'. Then, as usual, i began to think of the other benifits in terms of mileage and Status Credits.

After I got the paperwork, I noticed that there was a condition that stated "no Frequent Flyer Miles will be earnt on this journey". Not that I was complaining, but it would have been nice.

However, there was nothing said about the SCs. Given that its a business class flight, over those distances, I could be racking up some serious status (or even the AA challenge? Oh the irony if that worked).

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this, and might know if the SCs do get credited?

Cheers

2. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    As far as I am aware they do not, but I only have a sample of one to go on. (and unfortunately that was not even me!)

The FF terms and conditions do exclude Status Credit earning from competition tickets:

3. Altair

Altair Active Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Wellington
    I won an Amex travel prize once.
    QF flight and the conditions indicated that no FF would be accured.
    I had the number put in but the flight did not give points or SCs.
    Oh well it was a decent holiday but I only used the flights as the accommodation was in a golf resort for two nights that was away from all the action, sorry JohnK I know you would have taken it up.

4. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    You certainly got that one right. There are not too many things related to golf that I would knock back. :)

5. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    You could always try to push the points to another FF scheme (such as AA's) and see if it posts...

But as others have noted - prizes from competitions -- especially ones where Qantas is a sponsor of the competition rarely post to your FF account as it is an industry style ticket.

6. Ikara

Ikara Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Adelaide
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I'm sure we're all thinking it, so let me say it.

Two FREE return Business Class tickets to London (approximate retail value $20k) and we want points and status credits as well.

Aren't we being just a teeny weeny widdle bit gweedy?

7. thadocta

thadocta Active Member

My sister won a trip for four - two adults, two kids - SYD-HTI return - and the points and SC's successfully posted. So it can happen.

Dave

8. Well, I didn't want to say, but I did think it!:!:

9. Reggie

Reggie Established Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Manchester
    I was going to offer to take the flights and transfer the points he would have earned.

10. straitman

Apr 27, 2003
    SE Oz (Sale)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    brisbull,
    Good on you for asking. That's what the forum is about. As you can see you are not entitled and it's extremely unlikely that you'll earn anything however it is possible they'll make a mistake and give you the points and/or credits.
    Now that's being a bit greedy :!:

11. brisbull

brisbull Intern

Jun 27, 2005
    Maybe. That's why I said "Not that I was complaining, but it would have been nice" in my original post.

Thanks for the replies.

Cheers

12. brisbull

brisbull Intern

Jun 27, 2005
    *update on progress for the comp flights*

The competition trip is coming up in a touch over 2 weeks, and yet the flights were only ticketed yesterday. No problems there, as all our flights and seating preferences were maintained.

I had a look in the "My Bookings" section for QFF online, and it shows the tickets with a full amount having been paid. Also, the link to request an upgrade to first class is active, and lets you go through to the stage where it shows "upgrade requested/cancel request". Hence, it seems like it is behaving like a standard business-class paid flight (although 'D' fare in booking).

I am apathetic about the miles, but we sure could use those SCs - based on the new info, does anyone have an idea if SCs will credit?

13. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    T&C generally state NO; but there have been many anecdotes of FF points/SC's actually being credited.

If they do, look at it as a bonus ... :cool: ... and don't draw attention to the fact. ;)