Special Invitation for the Qantas American Express Premium Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnK

Veteran Member
Received a letter from Amex yesterday in regards to upgrading my Amex Gold Card to a Qantas Amex Premium Card. I does not appear to have an annual fee!

Some of the benefits mentioned
  • No yearly fee
  • You could receive up to 12,500 Qantas FF points
  • Earn up to 2.25 Qantas FF points per dollar spent but current membership rewards account will be closed after 30 days
  • Enjoy 2 Qantas Club Invitations after the first spend every year
  • No points cap
It almost sounds too good to be true.

Any advice from people who have this card?

Wowsers - looks fantastic to me - I got a regular gold card a couple of months ago and really think I made a mistake not get a rewards maximisers as I pay a whopping fee and only get 1 point/$...

I received an AMEX invitation yesterday; 12.99% and up to 55 days interest free with a 7.99% balance transfer. No "annual card fee of $70 - Ever" ... (but what about an annual card for of $80??? eh??)

To get 1 for 1 points, I would need to pay an annual $80 fee for Ascent.

I don't have an Amex in my name and receive these 'pre-approved' offers every 2-3 months. Back in my QF SG days it was like every 4-8 months.

JohnK said:
Qantas Amex Premium Card.
This is the card a few of us recently signed up for (they were offering 17,500* free points and no annual fee for the first year if you signed up before 31/8).

Are they waiving your annual fee every year, or just for the first year? It's $195/year usually.

Also, the 2.25 points per dollar is only when purchasing Qantas services. For all other purchases its 1.25points per dollar (which is still great for a free card). No points capping either.

I'll be using mine this year, but I'm not sure if I'll keep it after that. I use my Corporate AMEX anyway, which earns 1:1 points, so I don't know that I'd get the benefits of the Qantas Premium card if I had to pay $195/year for it. We'll see.

Cheers,
- Febs.

*15,000 points once you make a purchase. 2,500 once you make a Qantas service purchase.

I had the same boundless joy as JohnK upon receiving this invitation which remained while I was still capable of reading the fine print which stated a miserable $195 fee would soon be required thereafter.

I think this QF card was discussed previously in that all points automatically went to QF - something that is elective with the gold card and which I will retain.

Febs said:
This is the card a few of us recently signed up for (they were offering 17,500* free points and no annual fee for the first year if you signed up before 31/8).
Slightly different. Must sign up before 30th September and receive 5,000 QFF points for your first purchase, an additinal 5,000 QFF points if your first purchase is before 30th September and 2,500 QFF points when you first use your card on selected Qantas purchases.

Febs said:
Are they waiving your annual fee every year, or just for the first year? It's $195/year usually.
I don't know as there is no mention of annual fees that I can see anywhere on the letter, front and back including the fine print, only that fees and charges apply which is stock standard for all credit card offers. Time to call them and find out more details.

Febs said:
Also, the 2.25 points per dollar is only when purchasing Qantas services. For all other purchases its 1.25points per dollar (which is still great for a free card). No points capping either.
Yes the same for this invitation.

Febs said:
I'll be using mine this year, but I'm not sure if I'll keep it after that. I use my Corporate AMEX anyway, which earns 1:1 points, so I don't know that I'd get the benefits of the Qantas Premium card if I had to pay $195/year for it. We'll see.
I am not interested in the card if there is an annual fee as this will be replacing my, conditional, fee free Amex Gold card.

JohnK said:
Received a letter from Amex yesterday in regards to upgrading my Amex Gold Card to a Qantas Amex Premium Card. I does not appear to have an annual fee!

Some of the benefits mentioned
  • No yearly fee
  • You could receive up to 12,500 Qantas FF points
  • Earn up to 2.25 Qantas FF points per dollar spent but current membership rewards account will be closed after 30 days
  • Enjoy 2 Qantas Club Invitations after the first spend every year
  • No points cap
It almost sounds too good to be true.

Any advice from people who have this card?

See thread:

AMEX 17,500 points offer

Robert Barlow said:
See thread:

AMEX 17,500 points offer

That offer has since expired though.
JohnK is talking about a different (though similar) offer.

Cheers,
- Febs.

OK. I didn't think that JohnK had lost his marbles. The new offer sounds good. Still waiting for AMEX to inform me of status of old offer expired 31/8

JohnK said:
Slightly different. Must sign up before 30th September and receive 5,000 QFF points for your first purchase, an additinal 5,000 QFF points if your first purchase is before 30th September and 2,500 QFF points when you first use your card on selected Qantas purchases.

I don't know as there is no mention of annual fees that I can see anywhere on the letter, front and back including the fine print, only that fees and charges apply which is stock standard for all credit card offers. Time to call them and find out more details.

Yes the same for this invitation.

I am not interested in the card if there is an annual fee as this will be replacing my, conditional, fee free Amex Gold card.

JohnK, have u checked with AMEX Re: No Annual Fee Ever???
Is there an offer code on the letter we might be able to quote so that we might be eligible for the same offer? Or a special Phone Number??

Thanks

Paul Z

PaulZ said:
JohnK, have u checked with AMEX Re: No Annual Fee Ever???
I called Amex today. Surprise, surprise! There is a $195 annual fee not specified in the mail out. Apparently a marketing error resulted in this very important information missing from the mail out. The first Amex knew of it was when people starting calling wanting to apply for fee-free Premium card.

How do these "errors" happen in a company the size of Amex? I have unsuccessfully tried to contact Amex marketing but keep getting through to sales who just repeat the same information over and over.

I received a "hurry up" letter to the special invitation for the Qantas American Express Premium Card yesterday. It appears that the offer to upgrade from the fee free Amex Gold card has been extended until the 31st October 2006.

This letter now states that there is a $195/pa fee payable but no mention if the fee is waived in the first year. When reading the letter it states that in order to receive the 5,000 bonus points you need to spend on the card before before 31st October 2006 but looking at the fine print on the reverse the spending deadline is still shown as 30th September 2006.

Do they ever give up?

JohnK said:
Do they ever give up?

Not in my experience. They will be forever trying to move you from a fee free card to something else.

American Express Mailout said:
Today, I'm inviting you to improve your American Express Rewards Maximiser Credit Card by reducing its interest rate - down from 18.24% to 12.99%. All you have to do is call us on 1300 763 165 or complete the application and send it back to us.

What's behind the invitation? I'll be candid with you - there are two reasons. First we appreciate the fact that you've become on eof our best Cardmembers, and we'll like you to remain one. So naturally, you should have our best interest rate.

Second, and I'll be frank here; we'd like you to use our Card a little more, and your other cards a little less.

To help you, we'd like to make 12.99% your interest rate from here on in - and not as a special promotion that will run out at a certain date.

The conditions? There's really only one. Just continue to make your minimum monthly payments by the due date. It's that simple.

I assume other members have received this invitation as well?

No really useful though as I pay the balance off in full each month.

QFTravel said:
I assume other members have received this invitation as well?

No really useful though as I pay the balance off in full each month.

I haven't but I have long thought they need to simplify their interest rate structures. Each card, and among cards each person, seems to have their own interest rate. They are all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back