SIN-LON - Emirates (EK) or Qatar?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Jleno, May 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Jleno

Jleno Member

Nov 27, 2011
    Hi all

Self-funded economy trip and given that Qatar is now Oneworld, Qatar looks like equally an option (from a QF points perspective) for my SIN-LON trip in Y as their prices at the moment are almost the same as Emirates.

Does anyone have any recommendations for either Emirates or Qatar? I'm actually flying open-jaw (SIN-MUN then LON-SIN rather than SIN-LON return). DXB is pretty boring so not bothered about missing out on the few hours layover in DXB.

Emirates has always been a pretty good carrier (in my view better than QF) but I think Qatar seems to be ranked pretty highly as well nowadays.

K

2. kelvedon

kelvedon Active Member

Jan 23, 2012
    Sydney
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Are SC's important to you as you'll only get these on Emirates if booked with a QF flight number?.

3. Jleno

Jleno Member

Nov 27, 2011
    Ah, good to know. Although the SCs are not enough for me to decide solely on the basis of SCs.

4. dajop

dajop Senior Member

Jul 1, 2002
    SIN
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Have a look at booking on QF website. I often find that QF codes on EK flights are similarly priced to EK codes on same flight ex-SIN, so worth taking the five minutes to check. You will get more QFF points than either the QR or EK flights (basically you will probably earn either no QFF points or 25% points flying on QR, and around 50%-75% - depending on travelling before or after the changes- of what you would earn on QF code if flying on EK saver fares).

5. Jleno

Jleno Member

Nov 27, 2011
    Thanks -good tip. I was also investigating whether there might be enough miles / EQPs on my trip for an AA challenge but just realised Emirates is not actually oneworld.

6. blu

blu Active Member

Oct 8, 2004
    DOH-LHR on QR003 will be a new A380 (from early June) and has the small Y mini cabin upper deck.
    The new Doha Hamad airport is in phased opening this month also.

7. Jleno

Jleno Member

Nov 27, 2011
    Aren't the Qatar flights all the new 787 Dreamliners? My current dilemma is:

1. Book Emirates - settle for 777 SIN-DXB then A380 to MUC/LHR rather than A380 SIN-DXB because I don't want to spend 7.5 hrs in DXB
    2. Book QF on the same EK flights - but pay $120 more for the privilege (ie $120 for 80 SCs and more points haulage - except that the 80 SCs are pointless since I'm a long way off Gold)
    3. Book Qatar - fly on Dreamliner, shorter flight times, but now costs slightly more than EK and the SC/QF points earn is ridiculously low.

These are all supposed to be sale fares but there's that part of me that knows that another sale will come on between now and July. But it's the usual problem - buy now or gamble and wait.

8. blu

blu Active Member

Oct 8, 2004
    #8 blu, May 21, 2014
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
    There is a mixed fleet of aircraft.
    QR1 DOH-LHR is 787 Dreamliner.
    QR3 DOH-LHR is A380 (soon).
    Other routes are 787's or 777's down to A330, A320.

A320's are in a refurbishment program.
    There's more detailed information at FlyerTalk (QR board).

9. zainman

zainman Established Member

Jan 31, 2012
    MEL & KHI
    I would be picking QR because they are the better airline in the Y cabin IMHO.

10. Sprucegoose

Sprucegoose Senior Member

Aug 20, 2003
    SE Aust

Service or seat related ??

11. zainman

zainman Established Member

Jan 31, 2012
    MEL & KHI
    Service is probably similar. EK 777 is 10 across and QR 777 is 9 across.