SG to WP on next trip to USA | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

SG to WP on next trip to USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnoP

Junior Member
Joined
May 9, 2006
Messages
48
Hi All,

Has anyone been able to get Qantas to pre-comped from SG to WP when you can confirm that you will earn enough SC's for WP on your next trip?

Im due to fly out to USA on Sunday from Melbourne in J class with some First class fares in the USA before returning in J back to Melbourne from LA.

Last time I did the same trip I moved from Bronze to Gold, so i would assume the SC's earned will be enough to get me into Platinum. However I am intrested in being able to use the First lounges on this trip even though i wont be WP until I return.

Has anyone had this happen at all? Or is it that you earn your points and then you can use the lounges on future trips?

- Jonno
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,260
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
I have never heard of this happening from Qantas. You will be entitled to use the business class facilities and I expect that is what Qantas will tell you to do.

By the way, I think you should calculate the SCs to be earned rathar than just assume that because the last trip pushed you Bronze-Silver that this one will push you to Platinum. Bronze-Silver requires 400 SCs, Silver to Platinum requires 700 SCs. You will eanr 180 SCs each way trans-Pacific in business class. So you would need quite a few USA domestic F segments to earn a further 300 SCs.

How many do you have now, and how many will you earn on this trip?
 

Deeruck

Junior Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2003
Messages
20
NM said:
because the last trip pushed you Bronze-Silver that this one will push you to Platinum
The OP said he went from NB to SG, so he should have no problems getting to WP on this trip. As long as he is still in the same qualification year, of course :shock: .
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,877
JonnoP - welcome to AFF. :D

As indicated above, getting to each tier from another takes a specific number of points, and the gaps between each are not similar. Here are some details from the QF website:
Code:
Status credit thresholds for Qantas Frequent Flyer membership

Silver             Gold               Platinum 
Qualify Retain     Qualify Retain     Qualify Retain 
350     300        700     600        1,400   1,200
From: http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/program/privileges

So as the guys have said it depends where you are now in the program - i.e. your current tier, how many SC's you have now, and your annual requalification date.
 

JonnoP

Junior Member
Joined
May 9, 2006
Messages
48
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your feedback. Colleagues of mine routinely fly this (MEL-LAX) J Class and (LAX-BNA Nashville) First Class with AA.

MEL-LAX in Business Class = 180 SC's
LAX-BNA in First Class = 120 SC's
Total = 400 SC's x 2 for return..

Im sure I will receive WP no problems.. The intresting thing when I was on the first half of the leg last time Qantas had updated my online details to Silver, on return the processing took place once more and I was Gold.

Status credits earned from 01 Oct 2005: 800
Additional Status credits required by 30 Sep 2006 to attain Platinum: 600

Looking forward to bumping in to some of you in QF First Lounge in the near future.

- JonnoP
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,260
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
JonnoP said:
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your feedback. Colleagues of mine routinely fly this (MEL-LAX) J Class and (LAX-BNA Nashville) First Class with AA.

MEL-LAX in Business Class = 180 SC's
LAX-BNA in First Class = 120 SC's
Total = 400 SC's x 2 for return..
Two trips of 800 SCs will certainly do it for you. But I very much doubt Qantas will pre-empt the Platinum status.

By the way, unless you have a very special corporate price, you will probably find it cheaper to make that trip using a OneWorld Explorer ATW fare, which would also allow you to reach or retain Platinum status in one trip. This is what I am doing later in the month, where a business class ATW fare is cheaper than a point-to-point fare, plus I get the benefit of two visits with my team in Melbourne, a visit to my European counterpart, my USA requirements, and visit my team member in Asia on the way home. Wins all round.
 

QF WP

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Jun 20, 2002
Messages
17,713
Qantas
LT Silver
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
JonnoP, an advanced welcome to Platinum status. Heed NM's suggestions well.
 

dajop

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 1, 2002
Messages
11,152
Flights
My Map
NM said:
By the way, unless you have a very special corporate price, you will probably find it cheaper to make that trip using a OneWorld Explorer ATW fare, which would also allow you to reach or retain Platinum status in one trip.
We must have a reasonable corporate deal as the RTW fare in J from MEL to US (midwest) is about 10-15% dearer (not including fuel fines) than the point to point fare. Nevertheless, I have utilised Circle Pacific Fares to do a good status run (ie to US via SIN & HKG), and they are same-same for 26,000km fare, and substantially cheaper on 22,000km fare.
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,260
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
dajop said:
We must have a reasonable corporate deal as the RTW fare in J from MEL to US (midwest) is about 10-15% dearer (not including fuel fines) than the point to point fare. Nevertheless, I have utilised Circle Pacific Fares to do a good status run (ie to US via SIN & HKG), and they are same-same for 26,000km fare, and substantially cheaper on 22,000km fare.
Not sure where your specific destination is, but taking an example as QF published fares for MEL-DFW-MEL in business class, I find the following available on a random date of 6th June 2006:

J2JRT =A$15,234
C3SPCL = A$13,888

And a DONE4 list price is A$9609. So quite a saving.

In fact, MEL-LAX-MEL prices at A$13,986 for a J2JRT fare. The cheapest available business class trans-Pacific fare I can find on the QF web site is BNE-AKL-LAX-AKL-BNE for A$11,004.

Many corporates have negotiated fares for business class travel. So if you have regular people making the trip, its quite possible you will have a significantly better price than these published fares.
 

JonnoP

Junior Member
Joined
May 9, 2006
Messages
48
Yeah its a corporate fare. Which nudged in just a little over 10K including taxes.

The thing is that one of the guys in our team did a circle pacific MEL-LAX-BNA-LAX-HKG-MEL last month and it was significantly cheaper by about 2K in comparison to my current fare.

However the company sees that as using a RTW or Circle Pacific fare that you could be wasting valuable time. Therefore requesting that we fly direct where possible so as not to be seen as gaining personal reward.

JonnoP
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,260
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Yes, Circle Pacific fares are even cheaper, but from SYD and MEL can be difficult to get too far towards the USA east coast, especially if you need a couple of stops. Returning with AA via NRT can shave a few miles off the total.

I usually make the most of the extra miles of the DONE4 to visit colleagues in other places, thus adding value to the company for minimal cost. This is seen as a good use of my time, not a waste. Collaboration is valuable in my job. And I mostly end up doing the intercontinental journeys over weekends, so its now my time and not the company's time.
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Some dodgy numbers on this thread. For example, unless I am mistaken 180+120=300 not 400.

I also doubt that QF will upgrade your status early. You already have some lounge access to enjoy.
 

Lonely Flyer

Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2006
Messages
349
I just logged onto this thread and what do I find a Kiwi has picked up the arithmetic mistake first.

Oh the shame. How will we live this down
 

JonnoP

Junior Member
Joined
May 9, 2006
Messages
48
my bad,

howver 600 sc's will still get me over the line..

regards

JonnoP
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,260
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Kiwi Flyer said:
Some dodgy numbers on this thread. For example, unless I am mistaken 180+120=300 not 400.

I also doubt that QF will upgrade your status early. You already have some lounge access to enjoy.
Ahh, so one of us must be an accountant!
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
43,098
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
NM said:
Kiwi Flyer said:
Some dodgy numbers on this thread. For example, unless I am mistaken 180+120=300 not 400.

I also doubt that QF will upgrade your status early. You already have some lounge access to enjoy.
Ahh, so one of us must be an accountant!
Or a Bookmaker! :p
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,719
serfty said:
NM said:
Kiwi Flyer said:
Some dodgy numbers on this thread. For example, unless I am mistaken 180+120=300 not 400.

I also doubt that QF will upgrade your status early. You already have some lounge access to enjoy.
Ahh, so one of us must be an accountant!
Or a Bookmaker! :p
Or someone who simply can't count... :oops: I meant someone who makes typing mistakes.
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,260
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
JohnK said:
Or someone who simply can't count... :oops: I meant someone who makes typing mistakes.
There are three type of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't :D .
 
Vinomofo is the best wine deals site on the planet. Good wines, real people and epic deals, without all the bowties and bs.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

JonnoP

Junior Member
Joined
May 9, 2006
Messages
48
How good is that.. 2 x Return J class trips to the USA.. From NB to WP in 3 months..

Im sure others have probably done better..

So now that I have achived the WP status.. What can I really do with it? Most of my domestic travels are done on VirginBlue.. So can i rock up to the Qantas Club and have a drink on them???

Current Status:Platinum
Status reassessment will occur:30 Sep 2007
Status credits earned from 01 Oct 2005:1,400

Additional Status credits required by 30 Sep 2006 to receive
complimentary 'Partner Gold' membership: 700
 
Last edited:

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,260
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
JonnoP said:
So now that I have achived the WP status.. What can I really do with it? Most of my domestic travels are done on VirginBlue.. So can i rock up to the Qantas Club and have a drink on them???
Congratulations JonnoP. Yes indeed you can pop into the Qantas Club lounge any time you like, even when flying DJ. But be aware that they don't call the DJ flights and there are no DJ flights on the departures monitors, so its up to you to know when to leave and wander to the DJ gate.

Just show your Plat card at the door. You can also take in 2 guests.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
86,298
Messages
2,079,746
Members
53,703
Latest member
prome03
Top