RTW trip - points with QF or AA platinum challenge? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

RTW trip - points with QF or AA platinum challenge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brisbull

Intern
Hey Forumites

I'm going on a RTW trip in 7 weeks, and am looking at my point options. Currently, the flights have been booked through QF, and my FF number is registered on the booking.

However, reading this site suggests that the AA points challenge can get elite status damn fast. The biggest problem is that the information on the AA website is not in line with what was said here last time it was discussed, so I am asking for some interpretation.

The flights are booked with the code L, which AA seems to say is ok, but will attract a 50% mile penalty. Does this include a 50% Q-point penalty as well? My first flight is BNE to LAX, about 7500 miles, and then I have 4 sectors in the US before heading to Heathrow. By this stage, I would have gained enough q-points to hit the 10,000 q-points needed, making it all worthwhile, but if its only 50%, I would be falling short. As my flights out of Europe is on Cathay, I get no q-points for that, and so overall I would not get elite until the end of the trip, and would have wasted many miles, making it all a bit pointless (bad pun).

Can anyone help clear this up? Full itinerary is BNE-LAX-San Fran-LAX-Las Vegas-Chicago-Newark-//-JFK-HTH-Inverness-//-Edinburgh-Paris-HTH-TXL-//-Rome-Hong Kong-BNE

US is all on AA, leave NY on BA, leave Rome on Cathay.

Cheers

G

There is a $15 fee for this infomation. Paypal is fine.

Thank you and welcome to AFF!

Kiwi Flyer

Welcome to AFF brisbull :)

... or you could search, or just wait for a more helpful response which I am sure will be forthcoming

serfty

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Kiwi Flyer said:
Welcome to AFF brisbull :)

... or you could search, or just wait for a more helpful response which I am sure will be forthcoming
Assuming HTH is Heathrow (LHR) and you head for Inverness (INV) from Gatwick (LGW) then you would have the following routing: BNE-LAX-SFO-LAX-Las-ORD-EWR,JFK-LHR,LGW-INV,EDI-CDG-LHR-TXL,FCO-HKG-BNE. I believe with AAdvantage you score q-miles in L class on QF at the rate of 50% base miles. On AA it's 100%. Zip on BA Transatlantic and any CX. Assuming your Europe travel is on BA, that's all at 25%

That give an AA QMiles total of just over 7,000. Not nearly enough for the AA Plat challenge.

There's more information on the AA platinum challenge here: FewMile's Unofficial Guide to American Airlines' Advantage.

You actually have seven sectors unused, 4 in asia, 4 in SWP and 2 Transcon sectors; had you considered using them.

For example, the following variation would get you there: go HKG-MEL-PER-BNE on QF instead of HKG-BNE on CX.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

AFF on Air Podcast

• Choosing a Rewards Program – AIR017
    Sat, 10 Aug 2019 13:32:24 AEST
      If you’re new to the world of frequent flyer points – or moving to a new country – it can be difficult to know where to start. In this episode, Matt discusses the con ...
  • Travel Insurance – AIR016
    Sat, 27 Jul 2019 07:34:12 AEST
      They say that if you can’t afford travel insurance, you can’t afford to travel! In this episode, Matt chats to James Green about the importance of travel insurance, and ...
  • The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMT3011