Round the world with one world | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Round the world with one world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Batesy

I have read many tips on RTW tickets. I am just seeking some clarification on using a one-world explorer business class ticket.
Honeymoon trip next year. Depart Perth, Singapore, London, Edinburgh, London, New York, Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Honolulu, Sydney, Perth. The price is about $10- $11K according to the Qantas web site for 4 continents.

My main question is about status credits and where to post them to. I cant seem to find any simple defintion of how the AA challenge works and what benefit it would be to me further down the track as I am unlikely to travel again in the states in the next few years. I am currently QF gold and am likely to maintain that prior to this trip. My partner is silver Qantas club.
Any tips or guidance to how to manage the credits or if the AA challenge is of any benefit. Any other tips on this type of trip would be appreciated.

cabbage74

Intern
Congratulations...Hope you enjoy the trip.
Firstly your trip will earn about 1070 SC on QF, and uses only 12 of the 20 available segments, but I guess you don't want to be stuck in planes for the whole honeymoon. :)

If you haven't read AA Platinum Challenge - Tips that would be a good start. Basically it is a very quick way of reaching AA Plat (OW Sapphire.) From that you get access to Business Class Lounges (no real benefit for you guys as you have status and QP) and a nice 100% status bonus. So by the end of the trip you will have more points by doing AA (as QF gold only gives 50% bonus) and the redemption rates are generally lower than Qantas.

Finally you don't need to be going to the States again to take advantage of this, as it is One World you are recognised on QF, and you can even get really good bargains on Award Tickets from AA for flights on Qantas.

Hope this helps a little.

Mal.
<edited to fix link>
<ok the software must think the link is so good it deserves a repeat>

Last edited:

bfmi

Intern
From the price point of view, I'd look at getting to Bangkok and picking up a much cheaper RW biz class fare - on OneWorld or *A.

I've only paid that sort of $$ for a RW biz class when the ticket is purchased in Australia.

The you can have another holiday 6months < 1 year after your honeymoon and load up the ticket with a bunch of other sectors getting back to Bangkok. Almost creates 2 trips out of 1.

Check out www.chawlatravel.com. I've used them a bunch of times and always had great prices.

Happy travelling...

Kiwi Flyer

Congratulations Batesy :D

cabbage74 said:
If you haven't read AA Platinum Challenge - Tips that would be a good start. Basically it is a very quick way of reaching AA Plat (OW Sapphire.) From that you get access to Business Class Lounges (no real benefit for you guys as you have status and QP) and a nice 100% status bonus. So by the end of the trip you will have more points by doing AA (as QF gold only gives 50% bonus) and the redemption rates are generally lower than Qantas.
I think the OP has requalified Gold by the start of the trip. Including a DONE4 in the same membership year means qualifying for Platinum on QF and possibly even Partner Gold. So I think you'll earn similar points on QF as on AA (with challenge). AA points are worth more but needs to be balanced against higher status crediting to QF.[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Namik