Refusal to waive/refund $395 fee for Diamond Rewards | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Refusal to waive/refund $395 fee for Diamond Rewards

cardiology

Just return from an overseas trip and found that my upgraded Diamond Rewards card got charged the $395 annual fee. Called to ask for a waiving of the fee and got refused. Told the CS agent to cancel the card for a refund and got refused straight away saying that they do not have an annual fee refund policy. That means I need to pay this fee and use the card until Dec 18! Anyone heard about this policy? Can I call ACCC to complaint on a refusal to refund the fee on a pro rata basis?

Thanks.

robtemt

Flights
My Map
Do you have multiple accounts with CBA? We have a relationship manager who handles everything for us at CBA. From annual fees, to random little fees for us doing stupid things (charging betting sites to our CC which is a cash advance), she waives them all. We just call her mobile or email her.

RooFlyer

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I gather the card was auto renewed on its anniversary 18 December, the fee charged, and you were using it past that time? If so, that makes it difficult to get a refund, as you have used the product, earned the points etc. Pro rata might be easier, but its one for the black letter T&Cs. Have a read and if it looks like you have a case, call back and try again and ask for the issue to be escalated if needs be.

mannej

AFF Supporter
The threat of the ACCC is an empty bluff is it not as they refer you to the FSO?

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
It would depend on what the Terms of the card have to say. I don;t think there is any legal obligation on the bank to refund anything, given you are the one terminating the contract.

RooFlyer

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I've had no problems cancelling an auto renewed card and getting fee refunded when i cancel it, as long as it's been unused and soon after the renewal.

SOPOOR

AFF Supporter
Well. My fee is due soon
And I requested to waive my fee.
Mines been 250 for some reason its whole life.

Straight out refusal.
Got offered 10k points.
Which they said is a massive 4200 odd velocity points.

I even said I've had this card or its predecessors for 15 yrs. Or more

It didn't work.

Will definitely be cancelling I shortly just before the fee is due

Quite sad to cancel a card that I've had pretty much my whole adult life

AFF on Air Podcast

• The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael_Nguyen