Refunding Qantas tickets - unused return portion

Discussion in 'Qantas Frequent Flyer Program' started by peter_g, Dec 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. peter_g

peter_g Junior Member

Dec 18, 2006
    I have a QF ticket SYD-BKK-HEL and return, unfortunately can't travel back to SYD before the 12 month expiry date. The travel agent says that Qantas charges a $600 cancellation fee, so the nett effect is that there is no refund.
    Is this really so? What are other's experiences with getting a refund from Qantas for the unused return portion of a return ticket? Alternatively, has anyone been able to extend the validity beyond 12 months, or get a credit for the purchase of another ticket?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Hi Peter_G. Welcome to AFF!!

We would need to know the fare basis code before being able to give better advice on the refundability of a ticket. The fare basis code is normally something like SJBB1Y or QJPX1Y2 or LJBB1Y. (Don't confuse this with your Amadeus/booking reference though).

As a general rule, the cheaper the ticket the less chance of being able to get a refund on any unused sector (or sometimes a refund at all).

I think the Travel Agent is slightly incorrect, but I don't believe that will change the situation. You need to see the complete rules for the ticket before being able to tell what the penalties are for cancelling.

I doubt you'll get an extension past 1 year for the ticket. I have once with a ticket, but that was definately an exception, not something I would expect ever again.

Something to keep in mind - although you are losing $ on the ticket by cancelling the return portion, the price of booking a one way ticket would probably be much higher.

3. peter_g

peter_g Junior Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Thanks for your reply - the fare basis code is S-/M-/L-BB1Y. All the ticket says (it's an e-ticket, so it's an email from amadeus) is to consult qantas.com for the terms & conditions, however I can't find anything specific there.

4. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    Fare basis code SLBB1Y

5. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Seems your TA wants an extra $50 for themselves.

6. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    #6 Mal, Dec 20, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2006
    I'm assuming you've already flown the SYD-HEL portion?

The part from the rules which covers your situation if you have:

"AFTER DEPARTURE - THE REFUND IF ANY WILL BE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE FARE PAID AND THE APPLICABLE FARE FOR THE JOURNEY COMPLETED LESS AUD550 -AUSTRALIAN GST INCLUSIVE."

So basically Qantas prices out your outbound journey (and as a single journey, not a return, it may be more than half of the actual return price) then tacks on a $550 fee, then your TA (I think) tacks on another $50 fee.

I doubt there would be much left out of the original return journey to refund.

The ticket is only valid for one year (like most/if not all tickets), and I doubt you would be able to get it extended. Even if you could you would still be up for the $100 (plus TA's fee) change fee.

There looks to be some scope for changes to the ticket for a $100 change fee, may be best to talk to your TA as to whether it could apply.

7. peter_g

peter_g Junior Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Thanks for your answers!

The SYD-HEL sector is already flown. Where did you find the information on the cancellation charge? There was nothing with my ticket & I couldn't find it on the Qantas web site.

You are right, there would be nothing left from the ticket price - $1666 return, $1210 one way plus taxes & charges ($445), $550 cancelation charge.

Does Qantas refund unused taxes and/or fuel surcharges, or does the cancellation charge eat these as well?

Thanks!

8. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    #8 Kiwi Flyer, Dec 22, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
    Dave Noble looked the rules up in Expert Flyer.

Real taxes unused should be refunded upon request. Not sure about fuel surcharges.

Note you'll need to prove the taxes are unused by either the ticket expiring or cancelling the relevant flights.

9. peter_g

peter_g Junior Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Wow - what a fast reply! Thank you!

Another thought - The Qantas web site mentions using unused ticket credit for another fare, so does this mean it's possible rather than wear the $550 cancellation charge but use this towards a ticket to a different destination (eg HEL - LHR - HEL) but within the validity date of the original ticket?

10. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Nope. You need to cancel first before you can refund or use as credit.

11. Danger

Danger Senior Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Perth
    On the broader issue of cancelling tickets with QF, I booked a LONE4 on Saturday (just in time to include Aer Lingus) and enquired today about the cancellation policy (change in my circumstances). I was very surprised to learn that cancellation on this fare (L fare, oneworld explorer) incurs no penalty and the full amount is refunded. It seemed very strange to me that QF would be so generous. I asked the phone operator (QF) to double-check and he did.

12. GDSman

GDSman Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Hobart
    that, for me, is the advantage of the _ONE_ over the Global Explorer fares...

13. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    The rules are common across all OneWorld airlines for these fares and not set but the airline issuing the ticket. So its not really Qantas being generous.

14. Mal P

Mal P Junior Member

Jan 26, 2007
    How about an original business class fare? Can you cancel the return portion and get a full refund if greater than 12 months?

Thanks,
    Mal

15. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    It depends on the refund rules for the actual fare you have purchased.

16. turbo

turbo Intern

Mar 5, 2007
    Re: Refunding Qantas tickets - using credit with J*

I have a ZQN - AKL - SYD flight with QF booked for July, AKL - SYD is fare type N, ZQN - AKL not shown but i assume same since they are 1 ticket, i know i can't get a refund if i cancel but does anyone know if i could use the value of the ticket less fees towards a Jetstar flight? would like to use it on J* from CHC - SYD or MEL

17. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
  18. turbo

turbo Intern

Mar 5, 2007
    yeah i thought that may have been the case. doesn't appear from my looking into it that there are any codeshares on the dates i need. Thanks for your help.