Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

QF Premium Economy

Status
Not open for further replies.

d15.in.oz

Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2006
Messages
452
Points
0
A recent schedule change email from QF, prompted me to look at an upcoming (all economy I thought) QantasLink 717 segment on CheckMyTrip…

I don’t know if it is just a feature of the new version of CheckMyTrip, but the flight I am booked on now appears as “Premium economy”!

Venturing a little further, and checking my booking on the Qantas website reveals –
Status: Confirmed, but no class for that segment! (Previously it was “Economy”)

So, is this just a flaw in reading QF booking codes, or something more?!
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,426
Points
0
I dont think that the Fourth Cabin (assumed to be Y+ but it could be F+ or even the bowling alley;)) is planned until the A380 comes on line (along with everything else I guess...)
 

d15.in.oz

Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2006
Messages
452
Points
0
simongr said:
I dont think that the Fourth Cabin (assumed to be Y+ but it could be F+ or even the bowling alley;)) is planned until the A380 comes on line (along with everything else I guess...)
There is more than JUST the top end of the fleet (and flights to HKG) where QF has to compete! :p
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,731
Points
3,070
d15.in.oz said:
I don’t know if it is just a feature of the new version of CheckMyTrip, but the flight I am booked on now appears as “Premium economy”!

On my upcoming RTW award the first 2 flights which are QF segments, QF136, QF25 are appearing as Premium Economy, the last 2 flights which are QF segments, QF30, QF188 are appearing as Economy Restricted, the AA segments are appearing as Economy Restricted, the BA segments are appearing as Economy and the AY segments are appearing as Economy Restricted.

As far as I know I am travelling in economy. I think the new version of CheckMyTrip has a few issues.
 

d15.in.oz

Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2006
Messages
452
Points
0
JohnK said:
On my upcoming RTW award ...
Ahhhh... my flight is an award as well!

P.S. enjoy your upcoming 3 breakfasts + muffin, SFO without SFO experience!
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,731
Points
3,070
d15.in.oz said:
P.S. enjoy your upcoming 3 breakfasts + muffin, SFO without SFO experience!
Are you referring to the F lounge run? I was hoping to get a steak sandwich in MEL. :shock:

Oh well, I will have to just drown my sorrows....
 

d15.in.oz

Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2006
Messages
452
Points
0
JohnK said:
Are you referring to the F lounge run? I was hoping to get a steak sandwich in MEL.
LOL


It is VERY evident that MEL QF lounges go through a “phase shift” once the QF SFO flight departs! I am going to assume, that this transition marks the change between breakfast & “all day” menus!

JohnK said:
Oh well, I will have to just drown my sorrows....
I guess that means when you arrive back in SYD T1, you will take the train to T3/T2 and alternate between the (WP access anytime) HPs! ;)

ENJOY YOUR (plural) DAY
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,731
Points
3,070
d15.in.oz said:
I guess that means when you arrive back in SYD T1, you will take the train to T3/T2 and alternate between the (WP access anytime) HPs! ;)
No Crown Lager or Bluetongue early in the morning in the MEL F lounge? :(
 
Trying to access your favourite Australian websites when overseas only to discover they have been geo-blocked? Concerned about your internet privacy especially when using unsecured wifi? NordVPN will solve both these common problems.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

d15.in.oz

Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2006
Messages
452
Points
0
JohnK said:
No Crown Lager or Bluetongue early in the morning in the MEL F lounge?
OMG you start early, I thought I was bad enough hoeing into the bubbles that time of morning... Although in the old hideous QF MEL T2 FL (we don't forget), I could hide away from view in the "kitchen" area and drink the wicked stuff before
noon!

P.S. MEL SQ PPS…why are you not upstairs? To MEL airport: BAD erkkkkk MOVE!
 
Last edited:

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
Points
0
JohnK said:
[/FONT][/COLOR]
On my upcoming RTW award the first 2 flights which are QF segments, QF136, QF25 are appearing as Premium Economy, the last 2 flights which are QF segments, QF30, QF188 are appearing as Economy Restricted, the AA segments are appearing as Economy Restricted, the BA segments are appearing as Economy and the AY segments are appearing as Economy Restricted.

As far as I know I am travelling in economy. I think the new version of CheckMyTrip has a few issues.

Nothing to do with the new version, it has often had issues with award classes. Methunks that the 1st 2 QF flights are in T class and that is being misinterpreted as Premium Economy ( as used by BA ) whilst the latter ones are in X class and correctly interpreted as restricted economy.

BA used to use R class for award WT+ and that used to get interpreted as being for Concorde (as R was Full paid Supersonic class) and more recently they used P for WT+ which used to be interpreted as First ( since paid first used to be P )

Not really CMTs fault to be fair

Dave
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
43,731
Points
3,070
d15.in.oz said:
OMG you start early, I thought I was bad enough hoeing into the bubbles that time of morning...
Beer o'clock officially starts around the time I would normally finish a round of golf in the morning, which is around 10:00am sometimes earlier.

If I am flying then beer o'clock starts as early as my flight. Nothing like a relaxing beer before boarding.
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,333
Points
1,295
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
My QF29 flight also shows as "Premium Economy". Well I can certainly agree that sitting in 3K and 4K on that flight was certainly some premium over standard economy :mrgreen: .
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
43,247
Solutions
5
Points
3,275
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
JohnK said:
No Crown Lager or Bluetongue early in the morning in the MEL F lounge? :(
JohnK, I'm sure the MEL FLounge bar will be available for any hands-on critique you may wish to apply. :p
 

Shano

Established Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2006
Messages
1,244
Points
10
An article in today's The Australian confirming the introduction of premium economy on the new A380's.

QANTAS is adding a fourth class to some of its planes - a premium economy seat that will offer a cheaper alternative to business class.

The airline confirmed over the weekend that it would join airlines such as British Airways, Virgin Atlantic and Air New Zealand in offering premium economy when its new double-decker Airbus A380 superjumbo is introduced next year.
See article here
 

jakeseven7

Established Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2005
Messages
4,335
Solutions
1
Points
845
Shano said:
An article in today's The Australian confirming the introduction of premium economy on the new A380's.


See article here


YAY!!

Premium Economy on the A368 and probably the 787s!! Great move!!

I bet they are shell seats!

Can't wait, QF are certainly hammering out some good stuff lately (just been to the new F lounge haha :p )
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,426
Points
0
The Australian said:
Other airlines have seen a strong response to the introduction of premium economy, which is priced higher than a full economy fare but is significantly cheaper than business class. It typically offers increased leg room as well as better food, wine and other amenities.

Guess they arent referring to BA there - same food as whY I believe.
 

Shano

Established Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2006
Messages
1,244
Points
10
I must admit that I am a bit concerned by the words ".....which is priced higher than a full economy fare....".

Considering how expensive a full Y fare is from say MEL to LAX (currently ~$8,000), just how attractive is Y+ going to be.
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
43,247
Solutions
5
Points
3,275
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Maybe more attractive than the $13K J fare. :shock:
 
Last edited:

Shano

Established Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2006
Messages
1,244
Points
10
I agree more appealing than J, and considering the yields on flights to/from LAX, I guess plenty of people are currently paying up to $8,000 for Y and the $11,000 for J.

My concern is more with people (such as myself) who fly internationally on B fares or lower, who could probably convince their employer of the benefits of Y+ for a nominal fare increase, but not if this difference is more than 2 x the standard economy fare.

In hindsight this was proably a bad example to use due to lack of competition on the US route.

I would hope that flights through Asia to Europe would be priced somewhere near the offerings from the competition.
 

roryg

Junior Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2005
Messages
37
Points
80
Shano said:
I would hope that flights through Asia to Europe would be priced somewhere near the offerings from the competition.
Interesting that the article in the paper, as opposed to the on-line version, finishes with this paragraph:

"Mr Dixon also said it was likely the new superjumbo [the A380] would begin services to Dubai."

I wonder is this is a new service? If it will then go through to LHR? And does it mean skipping Singapore?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
86,612
Messages
2,100,582
Members
53,917
Latest member
martinmathews
Top