QF or SA to Joburg? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

QF or SA to Joburg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grant32

Intern
Joined
Feb 14, 2006
Messages
54
Travelling to JNB next month, and obviously there are several options. I am QF WP, and *A Gold (UA). Are there any advantages to flying on the QF flight numbers with QF FF number, as opposed to the SA flights with *A FF number attached to booking (or vice-versa)?

Have also been thinking about Cathay via HKG, travel time not really an issue... Any comments on this routing?

Thanks.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,804
Flights
My Map
What class of service? If economy I would be taking the shortest flight time. If business class I would go with the program that will provide you best points/miles/status earn rate. If First Class then CX via HKG is the only way to travel :cool:.
 

grant32

Intern
Joined
Feb 14, 2006
Messages
54
In Y I am afraid. Via PER also looks appealing (stop and see family on the way).
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,804
Flights
My Map
grant32 said:
In Y I am afraid. Via PER also looks appealing (stop and see family on the way).
And at least that cuts a few hours off the long part of the trip!

I don't know anything about SA's IFE, but at least QF has a half decent IFE in Y (and a very good one when the AVOD works).
 

DPG

Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2005
Messages
172
NM said:
And at least that cuts a few hours off the long part of the trip!

I don't know anything about SA's IFE, but at least QF has a half decent IFE in Y (and a very good one when the AVOD works).
At the moment, SAA's IFE on the PER-JNB flight is close to non-existant. The Sydney office of SAA has been promised the A340-600 on this route for some time, but as yet, they are still stuck with the older A340's.

When I flew SYD-JNB-PER-SYD last year, there was a massive service level difference between the QF and SAA legs.

D P G
 

Batesy

Active Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2005
Messages
508
I have done the SYD-JBERG-PER-SYD trip before.
Qantas direct to JBERG is fine, same as any other long haul with Qantas.
The same cannot be said for SA leg back to PER. Ordinary in flight entertainment, grumpy FA's and bad food. The domestic leg from PER back to SYD was actually the best part on the return journey.
 

DPG

Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2005
Messages
172
Back to the original question, as you can get the same outcome either using the QF or SA flight options.

As either a *A Gold or OW Emerald, you will have lounge access in Sydney, Perth and Johannesburg, so that won't make any difference. There will be a marginal advantage being on a SA flight number as their fuel fines are slightly less. So I would base the decision on which FF Program more needs the points and credits, and if there is no difference, then probably book the SA flight numbers due to better earn and burn rates on UA.

Personally, I would avoid the CX option, as it makes a long flight, particularly long. The only advantages I would consider regarding the CX option, is that in both directions there is an overnight flight, and as a QF WP, the chances of an operational upgrade are comparatively high! I have been upgraded on 3 out of 5 sectors from whY to J on CX (and many others have similarly high results!)

I have found that the SYD-JNB direct flight is nasty, as it is 14 hours in the day time (what I mean is depart SYD and arrive JNB in the day) and makes it a very long day with the time zone changes.

I hope this helps a little.

D P G
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,804
Flights
My Map
DPG said:
I have found that the SYD-JNB direct flight is nasty, as it is 14 hours in the day time (what I mean is depart SYD and arrive JNB in the day) and makes it a very long day with the time zone changes.
I would actually prefer the daytime flight to an overnight flight.
 

browski

Established Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2004
Messages
1,490
NM said:
I would actually prefer the daytime flight to an overnight flight.
I agree,

The Syd-Johasnnesburg flight is one of the few Qantas flights with an ideal departure arrival time. Flown it many times. Arrive Joburg feeling lousy, but a full night´s sleep to recover is only a few hoursaway afterarrival.
 

grant32

Intern
Joined
Feb 14, 2006
Messages
54
Thanks for all the replies.

Regarding the CX option, was only considering this with a stopover in HKG as have not been before. The frequency of op-ups for Emeralds on CX certainly appears a lot higher on CX than other carriers from what I have read, but that alone would probably not be enough to sway me if it wasn't for the stopover.

Just found an SQ option too. Jeez, is it just me, or do other people spend more time researching a trip than actual time spent on the trip! :shock:

Thanks everyone.
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
grant32 said:
Just found an SQ option too. Jeez, is it just me, or do other people spend more time researching a trip than actual time spent on the trip! :shock:
It gets faster with experience. :)
 

garyjohn951

Active Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
561
Re: QF to Joburg?

Planing another trip to Joburg this October, have been a number of times and go Syd-Jnb routing. all the times I have flown it it has Y J and F 747 planes.

When I key in on expertflyer for Oct 12, it comes up with only J and Y and seatplanner on thier shows 747 with J in the nose and up stairs. The return flight on 21st has the normal 3 class. [ I also randomly check some other dates and it shows 3 class]

Question. Has any one been on this 2 class 747 lately ? Does it have full J Sky bed seating ? Does it AVOD ?
 
Joined
Mar 14, 2006
Messages
349
Re: QF to Joburg?

garyjohn951 said:
Planing another trip to Joburg this October, have been a number of times and go Syd-Jnb routing. all the times I have flown it it has Y J and F 747 planes.

When I key in on expertflyer for Oct 12, it comes up with only J and Y and seatplanner on thier shows 747 with J in the nose and up stairs. The return flight on 21st has the normal 3 class. [ I also randomly check some other dates and it shows 3 class]

Question. Has any one been on this 2 class 747 lately ? Does it have full J Sky bed seating ? Does it AVOD ?
Hello garyjohn951,

Friday QF63/64 SYD-JNB-SYD services are generally always operated by 2-class 747-400s. F is not normally for sale on FRI services unless of course a 3-class 744 is planned in advance to operate the service (very unlikely). All other SYD-JNB-SYD services are operated by 3-class 747-400s.

I flew on QF176 during late June on VH-OJD (2-class 744) and was seated in 01A. It's a nice seat, but not to everyone's taste. All Qantas 747-400s feature Skybed and AVOD. Business Class (Skybed) is featured in Zone A on the 2-class 747-400s, or what is commonly referred to as the "nose" and is also featured on the upper deck.

Regards :)
 

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,694
Flights
My Map
Re: QF to Joburg?

Wunala Dreaming said:
Hello garyjohn951,

Friday QF63/64 SYD-JNB-SYD services are generally always operated by 2-class 747-400s. F is not normally for sale on FRI services unless of course a 3-class 744 is planned in advance to operate the service (very unlikely). All other SYD-JNB-SYD services are operated by 3-class 747-400s.
Not relevant to the time in quetsion here, but 63/64 will be opertaed once a week by a 743 over summer.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

AFF on Air Podcast

  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
81,693
Messages
1,888,018
Members
49,594
Latest member
Lesleyfina
Top