QF online check-in

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by pacblue, Dec 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. pacblue

pacblue Intern

Dec 2, 2005
    Australia
    I was wondering how many members now use the QF online check-in facility ?.

I used it last week on my flight out (spurred on by the chance of winning a free laptop), but on the return, I went back to using the Kiosk in the QP.

I dunno, I just prefer, the real, solid boarding pass.

Will the old-style BP become a thing of the past ?

I can't see how it can, as long as people check baggage, there'll always be need for staff ... ?

2. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    You don't have to print your own BP even if you do check in online

I do suspect that for domestic flights, that the oversized BP will become a thing of the pass and that they will get printers that can just print the bar code and seat number on a piece of normal paper ( at least I hope that they do so that I can stick the BP in my wallet :) )

Dave

3. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    I have used, will continue to use, OLCI but don't print my own boarding pass.

I hope they continue to issue unique boarding passes as I collect them and in my opinion the cardboard variety is much better than a generic piece of white paper.

4. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Certainly is/was the plan:

About Qantas - Newsroom

5. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    Excellent; I hope that they get it down to train ticket size so it fits nicely in the wallet

Dave

6. Shano

Shano Established Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I have used OLCI for all of my flights since it was introduced. If not travelling with checked luggage I will print my BP at home. I will continue to use OLCI - primarily to be able to re-allocate seating.

Yes, something the size of a parking receipt would be very handy

7. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    NZ's domestic boarding passes are pretty small and barcoded. However any checked baggage receipts stick over the edge because the boarding passes are a bit too narrow :rolleyes:

Still you can have several taking up less space than 1 regular size one (and use they could fit into wallet although need to bend them in the middle to do so).

8. infoworks

infoworks Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sydney
    I am yet to use it, as I have "avoided" any QF flights since OLCI came online! But I have good experiences with CX and SQ, so plan to use it, including printing the BP as long as I have access to a printer!

I a gree a BP the size of the (usually) small tear off bit would be good. I suspect the next evolution will be from the card through the machine to scan the barcode, then scan the chip in our wrist, oh big brother...

9. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Already being planned. Boarding passes eventually will be printed on RFID enabled cards. The airline will then be able to track wherever you are in the airport and why you aren't at the boarding gate... Oh big brother indeed!!

10. infoworks

infoworks Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sydney

11. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    It won't track where the passenger is per se, just where the boarding pass is

And the next step, to avoid this issue, will be to implant the RFID into the passenger :)

Dave

12. infoworks

infoworks Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sydney
    Speaking of "the devil" This from engadget: Ohio hotel to implement RFID room-key wriststraps - Engadget

No jumping the boarding sequence any more!!!
    Ohio hotel to implement RFID room-key wriststraps

[​IMG]Well, if RFID is good enough for passports and credit cards, then it must certainly be good enough for hotel rooms, right? Apparently that's the logic at the Great Wolf Lodge at Paramount King's Island in Mason, Ohio (that's just outside Cincinnati), which will be implementing RFID-enabled wristbands when the hotel opens on December 14. The wristband will open your hotel room door and pay for food and drinks at various locations while on the theme-park island. Of course, given all that we've heard about RFID being hacked left and right, we're not exactly convinced that making it easier for someone to gain access to your hotel room is a good idea.

13. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    For a second there I thought you going to mention that they have technology to insert chips in your wrist and scan them just like a boarding pass. When this day comes I will start rowing my new boat to Thailand!

14. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Weren't there some geek types somewhere that had already done this (although from memory it allowed them access to their house or something). They have chips for animals, so no reason you can't use them in humans

15. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    I had better get rowing practice then!

16. Altair

Altair Active Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Wellington
    So if they do implant you and a new version of the RFID comes out do they then "operationally upgrade you" or do you have to pay with FF points?:D

17. simongr

simongr Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
    Frankly anything that makes my life easier is fine with me. Happy for them to put an RFID in my credit card that can make it faster/easier to check in, get through immigration, not need to remeber by hotel room key etc. etc.

I would be soooo glad if they could actually find the delayed PAX more effectively. Maybe an and RFID chip and a dye pack that goes off 10 mins before scheduled departure - that would certainly make these slackers more obvious ;)

18. TonyB

TonyB Intern

Mar 20, 2006
    Perth
    I wonder what muppet came up with this idea and then actually thought that hotel guests would warm to the idea of walking around with one of these ugly things strapped to their wrist for the duration of their stay:confused: Talk about feeling like you have been admitted to an institution or prison:shock:

19. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I used Online checkin this weekend for a flight on Friday night.

Checked in, turned up at the airport. Friendly CSA swapped my home printed boarding pass for a proper boarding pass for an earlier flight (even though my fare was non flexible).

To be honest, it didn't help at all with my current status. I had the choice of staying where I was (3rd row in Economy) or moving into the middle of a row in front of me. Everything was chokers going back in the plane.

I even checked my booking multiple times to see if I was able to move forward... Nada.

So, it really isn't that handy for me. But can see it handy if I ever expect the possibility of turning up at the airport late.