Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

QF International 'New Economy' Trayless Meals

Status
Not open for further replies.

otchiman

Qantas has announced it's bringing a new standard to International Economy with the introduction of ‘New Economy’.

New Economy is a trayless service with the removal of the tray allowing for up to 50% larger meals.
Select on Q – Eat is also being introduced to Economy meaning three main meal options.

New Economy will launch on Australia to London return services later this year, followed closely by Tasman services and the Americas. Asian flights are planned to launch in early 2015.

QANTAS to go "trayless" for international economy meals - Airline Hub Buzz | Airline news and Information

blackcat20

Enthusiast
Larger meals are the last thing you need when sitting for 14+ hours....

dajop

Enthusiast
Solutions
Why does this scare, rather than excite me?

Perhaps because Jetstar's international meal service ( for those including it as part of bundle) is also trayless

Flying Fox

Established Member
Yes it scares me too.

This new move, which is designed to reduce catering centre handling costs, will allow the carrier to invest in the actual meal product thereby offering meal options up to fifty percent larger than current ones.

Is this in the same vein as an A380 allows for a bowling alley on-board but no airline actually did it???

Now with contactless delivery, shop online to get drinks delivered to your door or pick up in-store in 30 minutes. Lowest Liquor Price Guarantee. Biggest Range.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

roncritch

The practiced for this on the KTA-PER routes. When they first served me my inedible sausage roll.... no serviette and no stirrers for the coffee. They have since fixed this, but the sausage roll type breakfast roll...consisting of mashed egg, sausage and hashbrown mixed with 80% bread crumbs is even worse!!. I miss my chocolate too. Love the trayless meals!! :)

GoldCanyon340

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum 1
I actually look at this as a positive enhancement in general, as opposed to the other kind. But I'm with Blackcat about serving larger meals on a SYDDXB or MELDXB leg.

dajop

Enthusiast
Solutions
Another thought, I haven't flown QF long haul Y since the long hauls to LHR were diverted to DXB instead of SIN, so not sure what is now on a QF tray, but I know on MH, EK and SQ the tray meals usually include a salad, a bread roll, cheese and biscuits, the main meal and sometimes dessert (when ice cream not offered). I wonder if this means the "bigger" meal offered on the trayless service will be a bigger main course, but none of the extras usually on the tray?

AustraliaPoochie

Established Member
Oh, thought they were actually removing the seat back tray meaning more "space" and we have put things on legs for a flat place while seated to eat.
Silly me!
Sorry.

defurax

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum 1
The same philosophy can also be applied to seating arrangement. The meal can also be pre-packaged in the "boxed seat"...

Boxed seat.jpg

cmon0005

Established Member
Qantas
Gold
Hmm 50% more offal with every meal..
Seriously though have to give credit where it is due, QF on a whole have improved Y meals dramatically compared to 12 months ago, much less offal too! :D

kelvedon

Established Member
Having the option of Select on Q Eat for Y is an improvement. Are they the first airline to offer that in economy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawter2020