Answered - Qatar Seating Question | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Answered Qatar Seating Question

Pushka

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I am giving Qatar a try in May - 4 legs on Qsuites. don’t know what they will be like, but they look closer to the mini First that Joyce was boasting about for his “Dream”liner. Looking forward to flying out of Canberra - even though you stop in Sydney, it’s a lot easier than worrying about connections and fog and cancelled flights out of Canberra. Qatar was certainly not cheap, so I don’t know what the issue is with price.
Are you travelling as a couple? I travelled in Q suites recently. If a solo then make sure your seat is either any window, or the Q suite facing forward. Nice planes.

Flying mermaid

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Are you travelling as a couple? I travelled in Q suites recently. If a solo then make sure your seat is either any window, or the Q suite facing forward. Nice planes.
yes we are going as a couple so in 3 e and f for all 4 flights. We don’t plan to have a double bed though, as we like to do our own thing on planes, but it looked more friendly than the forward facing ones. Looking forward to trying them :)

Pushka

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
yes we are going as a couple so in 3 e and f for all 4 flights. We don’t plan to have a double bed though, as we like to do our own thing on planes, but it looked more friendly than the forward facing ones. Looking forward to trying them :)
Ok then at least get them to lower the barrier otherwise you keep banging into it if Row 3 is a rear facing. The forward facing don’t form the double bed and seem to have more elbow room.

Flying mermaid

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Ok then at least get them to lower the barrier otherwise you keep banging into it if Row 3 is a rear facing. The forward facing don’t form the double bed and seem to have more elbow room.
Ok will do - we do like to talk to each other, but we tend to go to sleep and wake up at different times. From what I have seen of the forward facing ones they seem quite far apart and would make talking difficult? All the e and f are rear facing and d and g are forward. Not too worried about light from tv screens, as a mask solves that. Maybe romance might bloom and we will decide to have the double bed option :)

Pushka

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Ok will do - we do like to talk to each other, but we tend to go to sleep and wake up at different times. From what I have seen of the forward facing ones they seem quite far apart and would make talking difficult? All the e and f are rear facing and d and g are forward. Not too worried about light from tv screens, as a mask solves that. Maybe romance might bloom and we will decide to have the double bed option :)
No they aren’t far apart at all. The issue with the double bed ones is that the seats need to be close together to form the double bed. They insert a flat panel of maybe 5 inches between the two seats then put the mattres down. That flat panel is where the screen slides down. It’s really close to either your left or right elbow depending on which side you are seated. I bang it multiple times even before departure. I’m a bit claustrophobic and I felt like I was caged in. I peered over the top at the seats facing forward and their seats are a bit apart from this panel as they don’t form the double bed. If I had no plans to have a double bed then these are the seats I’d pick. However Qatar decided that these are the seats we should have and we couldn’t change them as other seats had gone.

Scroll down for pictures.

The view from my "office"

Last edited:

Flying mermaid

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
No they aren’t far apart at all. The issue with the double bed ones is that the seats need to be close together to form the double bed. They insert a flat panel of maybe 5 inches between the two seats then put the mattres down. That flat panel is where the screen slides down. It’s really close to either your left or right elbow depending on which side you are seated. I bang it multiple times even before departure. I’m a bit claustrophobic and I felt like I was caged in. I peered over the top at the seats facing forward and their seats are a bit apart from this panel as they don’t form the double bed. If I had no plans to have a double bed then these are the seats I’d pick. However Qatar decided that these are the seats we should have and we couldn’t change them as other seats had gone.

Scroll down for pictures.

The view from my "office"
Yes I see what you mean - I might swap to the d and g ones if I can.

Edit - went and had a look at one of the YouTube’s showing the two different types of seats and the d and g just look too far apart for me - I want to be able to chat easily and with our hearing starting to go, that looks too far for me. Decisions decisions :).

Last edited:

Sandn24

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
We flew with Qatar Airlines last year in 3 different aircraft. All very comfortable & service excellent. On the Doha/Sydney flight we were placed in window & aisle seats but didn't realise that one faced forward & one back so we couldn't see each other far less converse. The flight attendant kindly changed our seats seats to the middle rear facing, we found them extremely comfortable especially on landing when we didn't have to hold ourselves back in the seats.

Pushka

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
We flew with Qatar Airlines last year in 3 different aircraft. All very comfortable & service excellent. On the Doha/Sydney flight we were placed in window & aisle seats but didn't realise that one faced forward & one back so we couldn't see each other far less converse. The flight attendant kindly changed our seats seats to the middle rear facing, we found them extremely comfortable especially on landing when we didn't have to hold ourselves back in the seats.
Didn’t you find that anything not completely put away -papers, phones, books etc - headed straight for you on landing?

Lynda2475

Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Red
So I have two Qatar flights next year and am looking for seating recommendations for a solo traveller:

QR308 HEL-DOH on A320-100/200 - looks to have a tiny J cabin - this is a late night departure so will want to sleep.

QR944 DOH-SIN A350-1000 with QSuites

I've never sat backwards on a flight, but some reviews seem to indicate that the A seats are best - its it weird taking off facing the wrong way?

BriarFlyer

AFF Supporter
I thought it would be weird facing backwards, and it did seem that way for approximately 10 seconds at takeoff and landing. Otherwise you completely forget about it...or at least I did. Flying solo, I chose seats closest to the window for a further degree of privacy (you're sitting further from the aisle.)

RooFlyer

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map

I've never sat backwards on a flight, but some reviews seem to indicate that the A seats are best - its it weird taking off facing the wrong way?
Odd numbered rows have the seat by the window (either side of the cabin - A or K) and allows easier viewing through the window and are less susceptible to disturbance of people walking past than the even numbered seats, although with the suite door, the impact is less.

no drama at all sitting backwards. may feel odd on take-off, but flying QSuites, you'll not notice it :)

I was in row 9 on a A359-900 (last row in the cabin) last month and was served dead last, with a long delay. I'd recommend row 5 or 7 if you can get it.

Lynda2475

Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Red
Thanks to everyone for their help. Went to Qatar site and was able to select:

QR308 is an A320 only 12 J seats in a 2-2 configuration, went for 2A - no direct aisle access, but at least I can sleep on my left side without needing to look at anyone else.

QR944 on the A350-1000 have taken 3K.

Hope the seat reservations stick.

Cossie

Established Member
AFF Supporter
So I have two Qatar flights next year and am looking for seating recommendations for a solo traveller:

QR308 HEL-DOH on A320-100/200 - looks to have a tiny J cabin - this is a late night departure so will want to sleep.

I did Helsinki to Doha last monday, it is 2 by 2 in J. However I was the only one in row 3 and a family of 4 had row 2, rest of J was empty. I had no problems sleeping and didn't eat. I was surprised how few in J given that a major sporting event had been on in Finland, which I thought would fill the plane. If you have someone beside you it would be a pain to get out from the window seat,
We did have to bus it to the terminal Doha, but us 5 J passengers were off first and our own bus.

Facing Backwards in the qsuites was unusual for the first time, but with the 'door' closed for most of the flight, it wasn't an issue and I'd happily do it again. This was Canberra, Sydney, Doha return.

Last edited:

AFF on Air Podcast

• Are Loyalty Programs a Scam? – AIR020
    Sat, 21 Sep 2019 08:36:18 AEST
      The ACCC recently released a damning draft report into Australian loyalty schemes, calling out practices that it says may shock consumers and putting loyalty program opera ...
  • Air Chathams – AIR019
    Sat, 07 Sep 2019 16:41:06 AEST
      With less than two weeks until the upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer changes, now is the time to make any last-minute Classic Flight Reward bookings! In this episode, Matt ch ...
  • Project Sunrise – AIR018
    Sat, 24 Aug 2019 16:12:31 AEST
      Later this year, Qantas will decide which aircraft it will use to operate non-stop flights from the east coast of Australia to London and New York - a feat it aims to achi ...
  • Choosing a Rewards Program – AIR017
    Sat, 10 Aug 2019 13:32:24 AEST
      If you're new to the world of frequent flyer points - or moving to a new country - it can be difficult to know where to start. In this episode, Matt discusses the consider ...
  • Travel Insurance – AIR016
    Sat, 27 Jul 2019 07:34:12 AEST
      They say that if you can't afford travel insurance, you can't afford to travel! In this episode, Matt chats to James Green about the importance of travel insurance, and wh ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fosking