Not open for further replies.

kamchatsky

Established Member
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Silver
Frequent Flyer - Earning Points - Qantas American Express Card

The Qantas American Express Card - cleared for take off.
No annual Card fee. Frequent Flyer points.^ Every reason to apply today.

img_amex_classic.jpg
With the Qantas American Express Card* you could move closer to your travel goals, every day.
With no annual Card fee, you will earn 1 Qantas Frequent Flyer point^ for every dollar you spend and 2 points for every dollar spent on your Card in Australia on selected Qantas services.+ So every time you spend on your Card - on anything from groceries to filling the tank - you could move closer to your next trip.
Apply now to take advantage of this offer.
Other Key Card features and benefits

• $0 annual Card fee.
  • 5,000 Qantas Frequent Flyer points^ after your first Card spend.
  • Earn 1 point for every dollar you spend on your Card.
  • Earn 2 points for every dollar you spend on your Card in Australia on selected Qantas services.+
  • $50 will be credited# to your Card account after your first Card spend in Australia on selected Qantas services.+
  • Up to 55 interest free days on purchases.~
  • $0 annual Card fee per Supplementary Card.
  • Online Services where you can access your account online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
  • Emergency Card Replacement.**
  • Current interest rate of 19.99% p.a.^^
  • No caps on the number of Frequent Flyer points you can earn.
*Cards are offered, issued and administered by American Express® Australia Limited (ABN 92 108 952 085)® Registered Trademark of American Express Company. Applicants must be 18 years of age or over and earn over A$35,000 p.a. to apply for a Qantas American Express Card. American Express credit approval criteria applies. Terms and conditions, fees, charges & interest rates apply. Correct as at 15 March 2008 and is subject to change.
^You must be a member of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program to earn and redeem points. A joining fee applies. Membership and points are subject to the Terms and Conditions of the program. Award seat availability is limited and seats may not be available on every flight.
+Selected Qantas products and services are: (a) Qantas passenger flights (with a QF flight number) purchased on the Qantas merchant account i.e. directly with Qantas or some travel agents, (b) purchases from Qantas Travel shops or (c) purchases from Qantas Holidays. Excludes: Qantas Freight, Jetstar and Qantas branded non-airfare products operated by third parties e.g. Qantas Box Office. Subject to Points Terms and Conditions available here.
# Receive a $50 credit after your first Card spend in Australia on selected Qantas Services.+ For the $50 credit to be processed to your Card account, your Card account must be current and in compliance with the current Credit Card Conditions. Please allow up to 28 days from the date of the eligible spend for the credit to appear on your Card account statement. Only one $50 credit offer per Card account.
~The Credit Card gives you up to 55 days interest free on purchases, depending on when you make a purchase, when your statement is issued, whether you have obtained a balance transfer and whether or not you are carrying forward a balance on your account from the previous statement period. There are no interest free days for cash advances or balance transfers.
** If your Credit Card is lost or stolen, you must report it immediately. You can call American Express 24 hours a day. In Australia, call us on 1300 363 687. If you are overseas, report your lost or stolen Card to the nearest American Express Travel Service or Representative Office.
^^Interest rates are current as at 15 March 2008 and subject to changes under American Express Australia Limited’s Interest Rate Policy. The interest rate policy describes how American Express Australia Limited intends to adjust Credit Card interest rates based on your payment history.

Am I reading this correctly that this is a $0 annual fee ever, or just in the first year?

beardoc said:
Am I reading this correctly that this is a $0 annual fee ever, or just in the first year?

NFI. I guess it does not say no annual fee first year. So I can only assume that it is no annual fee ever.

Point component is not that attractive but then if it is no annual fee ever then it is not too bad. Also the $50 credit for Qantas services comes in handy, as not everyone needs QC passes.

edison said:
NFI. I guess it does not say no annual fee first year. So I can only assume that it is no annual fee ever.

Point component is not that attractive but then if it is no annual fee ever then it is not too bad. Also the $50 credit for Qantas services comes in handy, as not everyone needs QC passes.

Doesn't seem to have a annual fee (although it doesn't say no annual fee ever!)They could, I guess change that down the track but for now it seems to be no annual fee.

twas the premium card that gave QC passes. I don't think this card gave anything much before.

oz_mark said:
Doesn't seem to have a annual fee (although it doesn't say no annual fee ever!)They could, I guess change that down the track but for now it seems to be no annual fee.

twas the premium card that gave QC passes. I don't think this card gave anything much before.

If this is a "no annual fee" card with 1 QFF point per dollar and no rewards fee and no points capping, then it's something new for Amex (at least to the general public), and it's good to see this.

From memory this card was available for $95/year, but was not promoted as much as the premium card. They do look to have dropped the $95 fee off.

Signed up today for the 5k points...

will update as i go )

I am correct in assuming that the initial bonus points promo will be offered only once to a new cardmember? In other words, if I were to sign up for this card and receive the 5000 points bonus, would I be able to to sing up for a different promo (say, the usual 15000 bonus points promo) a year or two later?
And one more question: do the points transfer to the QFFF account automatically and/or in any amount, or is it necessary to accrue a certain amount (e.g., 5000) before a transfer can be initiated?

wombatcountry said:
I am correct in assuming that the initial bonus points promo will be offered only once to a new cardmember? In other words, if I were to sign up for this card and receive the 5000 points bonus, would I be able to to sing up for a different promo (say, the usual 15000 bonus points promo) a year or two later?

I got the 17,500 points no annual fee QF Amex Premium, and then four months later, was approved for the QF Amex Ultimate at 40,000 points, so I would think that you can sign up for as many promos as you like (assuming you still meet their credit criteria).

wombatcountry said:
And one more question: do the points transfer to the QFFF account automatically and/or in any amount, or is it necessary to accrue a certain amount (e.g., 5000) before a transfer can be initiated?

They accrue automatically. I spent $10 one month on QF Amex Premium (I'm no longer using it), and 13 points were credited to my account and then transferred to my QFF account. So spend as little or as much as you like - although with the recent changes to the Ascent program (this week), you might find that an Amex with Ascent Rewards far better!

Thanks for your quick answer! I guess I'll have to familiarize myself with the Ascent program (I don't know the first thing about it). I tend to dislike credit cards with very high annual fees, though. With the value of QFFF points diminishing on a regular basis, I don't feel comfortable investing $$$ on generating them (now, if we had a small business which caused us to spend lots of $$$ regularly, it would be a different story).

wombatcountry said:
Thanks for your quick answer! I guess I'll have to familiarize myself with the Ascent program (I don't know the first thing about it). I tend to dislike credit cards with very high annual fees, though. With the value of QFFF points diminishing on a regular basis, I don't feel comfortable investing $$$ on generating them (now, if we had a small business which caused us to spend lots of $$$ regularly, it would be a different story).

Yes, Ascent is a better deal, but if you're not spending a lot with Amex, the costs are going to not be worth it (after all, in the time you accrue an award, you'll have spent that much or more in fees. If you're a member of a professional organisation, you can get a fee free Gold Amex with free Ascent Rewards, though - so if you're a member of the AMA, CPA, etc. then you should check with them.

Or just ask them to waive the fee.....it works for me:)

But yes they will only waive it if you are spending a reasonable amount with then...I would guess $30-50K +

But yes your point is a valid one...any cost of aquistion has to be deducted from the value of the award to assess value.

beardoc said:
the recent changes to the Ascent program (this week), you might find that an Amex with Ascent Rewards far better!

Yes..I currently have both a Max and a QF Premium Card (both fee free)

I had been accumulatingy my Amex spend on the Max Card apart from Qantas spend on the QF to maximise earn.

I will certainly now concentrate on the Maximiser.....but on the other hand if there are still "free", or exceptionally cheap, bonus points going for QF I will still pick them up.

Plus even though I will now save my Maximiser points for a likely SQ (*A), AA or VA redemption....as I still have dollars going through my Citibank VISA for when companies do not take AMEX I will still unless they change thier options need to transfer those points to QFFF at some stage.

The part that I am really going to have to think long and hard on now is do I award my domestic Qants Flights to QF or change to AA???

lovetravellingoz said:
The part that I am really going to have to think long and hard on now is do I award my domestic Qants Flights to QF or change to AA???

You're doing exactly the same things that I'm doing - ditching the QANTAS Amex Cards and concentrating on the MR earning cards, and using the Citibank Visa for when you can't use Amex.

This for me is finally the impetus I need to start sending my QANTAS Domestic Flights to AA. I already have QP Life Membership (bought it when I could) so I'm looking more for the earn/burn ratios now on rewards.

Time for a platinum challenge on my next international trip, I feel!

lovetravellingoz said:
Yes..I currently have both a Max and a QF Premium Card (both fee free)
Hang on, you mean Rewards Maximiser fee free for life? If so, how do you get it?

I recently cancelled my QF premium card and they told me when i did this that if i wanted to reinstate within 6 months i can without doing a credit check, do you think, or has anyone experienced calling up and asking to be transferred to this new fee free qantas card and they would do it without putting me through credit checks and stuff.

edison said:
Hang on, you mean Rewards Maximiser fee free for life? If so, how do you get it?

No..I did not say fee free for life (like the Citibank is).

They bill the cost each year...and then I ring up and ask them to waive it.

I just received my Amex under this deal today - it says "Card Membership Annual Fee - NIL"

Now the catch is further down the column -

$30 - Currency conversion fee- "payable when any charge (including a cash advance) is process in a currency other than australian dollars"

Um - so this, for me renders it basically useless. A $30 fee for a non-Australian dollar transaction? You have to be kidding?!

Has anyone else seen anything like this?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back