Status
Not open for further replies.

exceladdict

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Silver
Fresh after I applied for it at 100k, the Qantas Ultimate Amex has bumped up to 120k points again, though with a higher minimum spend of $4500 in 3 months to activate the bonus points.

If you're interested in this card head over to the referral forum so that a forum member gets a bonus, rather than an affilliate getting commission: 120,000 points on the Qantas Ultimate Amex [Ends 6 Nov 2019]

Offer Summary:

Earn 120,000 Qantas Points when you apply by 6 November 2019, are approved and spend $4,500 in the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members only.
$450 Qantas Travel Credit each year.
2 Qantas Club lounge invitations each year after your first Card spend on selected Qantas products and services.
Enjoy two complimentary entries per year to the American Express Lounge, located at Sydney International Airport or Melbourne International Airport.
Complimentary Qantas Wine Membership.
0% p.a. on balance transfers for the first 12 months - A one-off credit plan establishment fee of 1% applies to any balances transferred. If you pay your Balance Transfer over time, an interest-free period will not apply to your purchases. Learn more.
Complimentary domestic and international travel insurance.

Glad to answer any questions here or over in the referral thread, it's a reliable card with one of the highest QF points per dollar on offer in Australia.

What's everyone's view on the $4.5k min spend? Seem a bit steep?
Hmm .. depends .. I usually spend about $1000/month on my Amex and around $2000 on my other cards. Looks like I'd be able to exhaust $4.5K in about two months. But everyone's case is different.

Besides using AMEX for almost everything (or as accepted as possible) from supermarkets to parking machines, if one is unable to meet the spend criteria, I'd suggest buying gift cards when they're on sale. This way you get extra $$ on your card and you also get to meet your spending criteria.

Alternatively, if QF is doing any promos, you could buy travel vouchers and then use them at a later date. Better yet, if there's any SC promo going on :)

Just finished my exclusion period, but recently applied and got rejected for the Qantas Amex Business card. Any one have any advice on how long I should wait before applying for this personal card?

Thanks

Just finished my exclusion period, but recently applied and got rejected for the Qantas Amex Business card. Any one have any advice on how long I should wait before applying for this personal card?

Thanks

I think it was 18 months from memory. But I could be incorrect

Thanks
The minimum credit limit for this card is $3,000, I think with a minimum income of $65k; whereas the business rewards card is $75k (business turnover) and is a charge card, which does not have a set "maximum limit". Therefore I would assume their income requirements are higher and they will be more rigorous in the application. When applying for this card, you can specify the limit you want, as low as 3k (which if you're just after the points, may be worth considering).

Do you have any indication from amex as to why you were rejected (i.e. how far through the application process did it get)? You could always call them and ask if, based on your previous application, it's likely you would instead be approved for the qantas amex ultimate.

Their reason for rejection could be a number of things, from too many recent applications, to their failure to identify you using a supplied document, to not being able to establish your income, ratio of your income to expenses, or many others. If you can get closer to the reason, you might be more likely to be successful in a future application. i.e. if it was just your income/income after expenses wasn't high enough to support the charge card, you may be able to successfully apply for this card.

I think it was 18 months from memory. But I could be incorrect
18 Months is how long you have to wait between holding a card and applying for a new one; I would assume that being rejected for a card won't count as having an open one.

Seems reasonable for 120k points. IIRC ANZ had a $6k or $8k spend requirement on an FF Black with either 75 or 100k points a few years back.

Thanks for the great information. I think I am ready to boost my points but I can't remember the last time I had a Amex. Does anyone know if I can just call Amex and ask?

Thanks for the great information. I think I am ready to boost my points but I can't remember the last time I had a Amex. Does anyone know if I can just call Amex and ask?
Yep, the more information you have at your hands, the better though. See if you can look back through your email inbox etc for electronic statement notifications, etc.

$4.5 doesn't actually seem like a lot to me at the moment. I have $13K to spend in 3 months with the combination of new cards that I have. Half way through the period I'm at about $8K and running out of ideas as to how to spend the rest of the money in the next 6 weeks. When your council rates, insurances, gas bill, water bill, phone bill etc are all paid 12 months ahead and you have all the WISH and Coles gift cards that you can use for the next 12 months, what else is there to spend money on?

$4500 spend on a $3000 limit, I had to deposit $1600 to meet it. 120k bonus points showing on the amex side I guess they transfer to qantas when the statement is generated?

$4.5 doesn't actually seem like a lot to me at the moment. I have $13K to spend in 3 months with the combination of new cards that I have. Half way through the period I'm at about $8K and running out of ideas as to how to spend the rest of the money in the next 6 weeks. When your council rates, insurances, gas bill, water bill, phone bill etc are all paid 12 months ahead and you have all the WISH and Coles gift cards that you can use for the next 12 months, what else is there to spend money on?
" running out of ideas"! Pay my daughter's school fees please then your $8K problem is fixed, and amex surcharge only 1%. Yes it's a Sydney issue, wasn't like this in Brisbane.

" running out of ideas"! Pay my daughter's school fees please then your $8K problem is fixed, and amex surcharge only 1%. Yes it's a Sydney issue, wasn't like this in Brisbane.
No such opportunity for me. And now have a larger problem as my local council has contacted me to say that I cannot pay my rates more than 12 months ahead so they are refunding some money!

No such opportunity for me. And now have a larger problem as my local council has contacted me to say that I cannot pay my rates more than 12 months ahead so they are refunding some money!
Maybe you could you get the council to put the refund onto a different cr card.

There are ways of paying bills on Amex without the recipient knowing which card it came from. See the @ferni method. Eg, DEFT charges >3% on Amex, but can get that down to 1.9%. Yes, it’s high, but may be necessary to meet the min spend to get Amex bonus.

Last edited:
Has anyone successfully used the $450 travel credit to book flights for someone (or more than one person) other than themselves?
Website doesn't say if it is or isn't allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back