Qantas story on Today Tonight last night?

Discussion in 'Qantas Frequent Flyer Program' started by bambbbam2, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. bambbbam2

bambbbam2 Active Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Perth, WA
    Just caught the end of this story, basically Qantas had offered some single mother and her kids a trip return to MCY and tickets to all the theme parks?

Why??

2. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
  3. bambbbam2

bambbbam2 Active Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Perth, WA
    So this was the story:

Chris had accrued 429,000 points.
    But Sarah was then dealt another blow.
    "I let Qantas know that Chris had passed and asked for the account to be transferred into my name, so that we could keep the points," she said.
    "And really, I just got a point blank 'no, he's dead, cancelled'."
    In the fine print of Qantas' terms and conditions, it states that membership will terminate automatically on the death of a member. Points earned but not yet redeemed or transferred prior to the death of the member will be cancelled.
    "I asked Qantas if they could show a little bit more compassion for me," Sarah said.
    "And they said 'no, it's in our clause and regulations', quoting chapter and verse. And I just think it stinks."

Can you image if they had said Yes? Would have opened the floodgates! Anyway the offered her a trip anyway..

4. I do feel sorry for the woman in question, it's probably the worst thing that will ever happen to her.

Having said that, the rules are clear.

There is no place for 'compassionate' bending of the bylaws of the program, just because someone runs off to some sleazy pseudo-current-affairs show (an act which is pretty low, in my estimation - talk about ambushing Qantas!).

As Kimmy would say, "cruel but fair".

5. N860CR

N860CR Established Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Brisbane & Sydney
    While it's technically not within the rules, had the lady in question known a little more about the QFF program she'd have just transfered the points to herself from her husbands account using the family transfer. Not totally honest, but would have saved the points going wasted.

6. bambbbam2

bambbbam2 Active Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Perth, WA
    Isn't there a limit on family transfers?

She said in the article she had his PIN, so why not just transfer then let QFF know a couple of weeks later?

7. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I don't see that they have bent the rules. They haven't given the points back, they have offered a ex-gratia holiday.

8. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    I don't know. It would seem that AA is prepared to provide transfer to the living spouse despite the programme rules stating similarly to QF.

The programme rules are indeed clear that points are forfeit on death , so in that respect I agree that what QF did is valid, just harsh

Obviously using TT worked, since after the programme aired, QF decided that the negative publicity was enough to make an ex gratia offer. Perhaps they will change the terms to a more compassionate level ( but I won't be holding my breath )

Dave

9. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    Probably she didn't think to read the T&Cs or to ask AFF and just assumed that QF would transfer them.

The TT report did do well and mention AFF and did have admin appear on it

Dave

10. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Family transfer no good as maximim per transfer is 100K points and only one Family transfer type withdrawal per account per annum.

She's had a tough go of it by the TT account, but obviously did not know the rules.

Only realistic options once her Husband Passed away was to not tell Qantas and book the flights & accomodation online asap.

I have heard a very few tales of this being done however ...

11. crazydave98

crazydave98 Active Member

Oct 25, 2005
    Sydney
    I disagree about opening the floodgates, it is just Qantas being tightar5e5 (just wait until they are owned by banks). If a Velocity member dies the points can be transfered to a spouse by the executor of the will provided it is done within 12 months of the death.

12. cssaus

cssaus Active Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Sydney
    I'm going to be updating my will to include my FF account numbers and pin numbers;)

13. Standby

Standby Active Member

May 25, 2006
    I Agree wth Serfy....if you have the account and pin youre fine.
    There is no requirement to have the payment for taxes and charges done on the CC of the member...in fact use points to pay for them...keep going til there's none left.
    This is the same non logic that applies now with airport Kiosks...anyone can use anyone else's booking (so long as if the traveller is a Male the booking is tktd as a male)...by passing fare rules that airlines systems ...and thank fully airport security don't cover off by checking boarding pass name against photo ID at time of boarding or clearing security.
    Again another instance of someone trying to do the right thing being given the run-around.
    To be fair QF have been very helpful recently in sorting out travel and changes due to a family death....sometimes you get someone who bends over backwards to help and other times someone who shudnt be in the job or with the other mob the call is answered offshore and the person has difficulty with english as a first language..

14. Standby

Standby Active Member

May 25, 2006
    sorry forgot to say...stupid rule Qantas..change it..the positive customer service and empathy is worth more through continued years of family loyality than the cost of points that have been "earned" being Cancelled. Remember the old saying "p*ss off one person and they'll tell 10 ..You expect this sort of black and white stupidity from JQ not Qantas

15. Reggie

Reggie Established Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Manchester
    When a mate's father passed away, his mother said nothing to Qantas and just kept using the account booking flights for herself, and her children and their partners. His father passed away 3 years ago, and there has been no problems. The lady in question would probably have been better to have not told Qantas

Reggie

16. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    There are possible legal issues there, but is a way to deal with the restriction

Dave

17. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Does make one wonder what Qantas would do if they found out.

18. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Probably close the account :rolleyes: .

19. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    :idea: One wonders whether Qantas Frequent Flyer have a profiling system where some sort of exception reporting highlights changes in earning/redemption ratios or some similar 'KERI' (Key Earning/Redemption Indicator).

20. Lonely Flyer

Lonely Flyer Member

Jan 13, 2006
    Gold Coast
    I heard Qantas consortium wants to start some new business arms when they take over

One is Qantas Life where you can use your FF points to pay your life insurance premiums.

Only catch is if you die they cancel the policy!!!!