Qantas Status Comp | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Qantas Status Comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwak

Intern
Joined
Oct 15, 2005
Messages
65
Flights
My Map
Hi Guys,

maybe I am being unfair but I am finding Qantas a bit arrogant lately. I am currently a Plat and have been for 5 years. As of today (July 19th) I have 1185 status credits and a confirmed bookings for August (300 status credits), more than enough to re-qualify as Platinum by my cut off date August 31st.

Today I received the new Platinum pack with a pre-printed standard letter from Norris Carter stating: "While you didn't fly enough in the last 12 months to retain your Platinum status, we recognise your loyalty during recent years and are pleased to extend your Platinum FF until August 31st 2008. To retain your Platinum membership in the future you'll need to earn the required Status credits and fly a minimum 4......."(You get the idea)

My point is I will easily re-qualify and in fact already have (When QF/IB can sort out their systems) whilst the letter from Qantas makes it sound like they are doing me a favour. Should I get a life??:) or should I let them know I think they are being smug? Or more importantly will this be recorded as a comp on their system??? Thanks as always.
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
Interesting - that is a very poorly worded and condescending email - a great opportunity to build a relationship with a customer wasted - how strange...
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
Given it is just an automatically generated letter and that at the moment, it was correct that you have not yet met the requalification level, I wouldn't worry about it. I doubt that it will have any future impact

Dave
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,255
Flights
My Map
I would not worry about the letter, it is almost computer generated with little likelyhood of having human intervention in the process. The computer would not "know" about your issue with QF/IB, probable simply taking some pre-defined criteria into the process.
jwak said:
... Or more importantly will this be recorded as a comp on their system??? ...
Hmmm... I guess that's the important part.

QFF seem to be in the process of changing their philosophies retain to elite status.

In the past few years there have been quite a few posts about FFers being comped status 'renewal' when they did not earn enough SC's. Now the letters have changed indicating it (the 'comping') won't happen next year, this has not been the case in previous years.

I would not worry too much; you should be able to get your IB issue sorted and if there is any issue in regard 'being comped last year' with your renewal you should be able to point out that you actually achieved the required SC's and hence you were not comped at all.
 
Last edited:

Tooner

Active Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2006
Messages
750
Flights
My Map
serfty said:
In the past few years there have been quite a few posts about FFers being comped status 'renewal' when they did not earn enough SC's. Now the letters have changed indicating it (the 'comping') won't happen next year, this has not been the case in previous years.
Serfty made me go back and have a look at the March letter I got from QFF extending my WP status 3 months early - no mention of the criteria, just a cheery thanks.

Interesting to see what other people receive - my Boss, for instance, reckons he has been comped for the last 3 years without flying required amount.
 

Shano

Established Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2006
Messages
1,229
Flights
My Map
I was comp'd early to WP in Feb, which was 3 months before my anniversary date. I cannot find the letter but do not recall anything about not having flown enough etc..... I only accumulated 860 SC for the year so was grateful for this.

Will be interesting to see what happens next year if I do not get to 1,200 SC.

Perhaps your title may have some influence on QF comping???
 

jwak

Intern
Joined
Oct 15, 2005
Messages
65
Flights
My Map
Well I wrote to QFF and my status credits now show 1225 for the year with 300 still to earn before my cut off date. No reply yet, will let you all know what happens.

Thanks for your comments

Jono
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,789
Flights
My Map
garyjohn951 said:
1200 points is enough for re-qualification, where is the problem ?
Might be enough for re-qualification, but not for an initial Platinum qualification.
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,255
Flights
My Map
garyjohn951 said:
1200 points is enough for re-qualification, where is the problem ?
See the OP:
jwak said:
I am currently a Plat and have been for 5 years. ... Today I received the new Platinum pack with a pre-printed standard letter from Norris Carter stating: "While you didn't fly enough in the last 12 months to retain your Platinum status, we recognise your loyalty ... should I let them know I think they are being smug? Or more importantly will this be recorded as a comp on their system??? Thanks as always.
I believe jwak is trying to ensure QFF (and their computer systems) are "awar" the status of his QFF account was re-earned this year rather than comped as implied in the letter referred to.
 

fmckenzie

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2007
Messages
14
After being comped for two years for platinum, looks like am missing out this year, even though only 300 to go, and only 100 credits planned in August.

I have 31 August validity date, but usually receive the letter by early July. So obviously a change of policy by qantas:mad:
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
fmckenzie said:
After being comped for two years for platinum, looks like am missing out this year, even though only 300 to go, and only 100 credits planned in August.

I have 31 August validity date, but usually receive the letter by early July. So obviously a change of policy by qantas:mad:
I don't think that there is a change of policy; if you have been given an ex-gratia extension for 2 years, I would be surprised if you were given a 3rd year in that manner

900 SCs is only 75% of the way to Platinum renewal rather than being just a gnat's breath away

Dave
 

maninblack

Established Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2006
Messages
2,303
I seem to remember my wife being comped a couple of years back when she was a few hundred short, but she had taken a ff redemption in J MEL-LAX-MEL, so I think she earned it really. The fact that you get no SC's for ff tix is a bit of a farce. You earn all these points through loyalty...then you use them...then you might lose your status :mad:
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
Hmm - well I wont be hopeful for a comp this year - only 250SCs after they reverse the points that posted incorrectly to QF. And that I guess is not much of a statement of loyalty ;)
 

garyjohn951

Active Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
561
With the trip your doing you would have got 1600 Status Credits with QF, enough for WP, in fact with the trips you have done earlier this year you would have WP. I realise AA gives more points but can't see the hassle.
If you had credited all you previous trips to QG and were now WP you would be waltzing into F lounges.
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
garyjohn951 said:
With the trip your doing you would have got 1600 Status Credits with QF, enough for WP, in fact with the trips you have done earlier this year you would have WP. I realise AA gives more points but can't see the hassle.
If you had credited all you previous trips to QG and were now WP you would be waltzing into F lounges.
And as an EXP (which he will be from this trip) he will be doing exactly the same, except that for next ATW trips he has 7 one way ( max 3 sector ) upgrades plus award flights for signifcantly cheaper rates ( 224000 points and $350+ cheaper for an F return to europe for example )

The only issue was his allowing the QF number into the booking in the 1st place otherwise there's no hassle

Dave
 

garyjohn951

Active Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
561
Ok, can see the AA advantage if you fly AA, but his posts did seem to be complaining about not being "comp" to WP and in others not be able to use F lounges
"He can't have his cake and eat it too." He has choosen one route I would have done another, when all said and done, unless you know you are flying 365 days out it is difficult touse points on award J flights unless you want to go to a backward country.
 

bigjobs

Active Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2005
Messages
783
jwak said:
Hi Guys,

maybe I am being unfair but I am finding Qantas a bit arrogant lately. I am currently a Plat and have been for 5 years. As of today (July 19th) I have 1185 status credits and a confirmed bookings for August (300 status credits), more than enough to re-qualify as Platinum by my cut off date August 31st.

Today I received the new Platinum pack with a pre-printed standard letter from Norris Carter stating: "While you didn't fly enough in the last 12 months to retain your Platinum status, we recognise your loyalty during recent years and are pleased to extend your Platinum FF until August 31st 2008. To retain your Platinum membership in the future you'll need to earn the required Status credits and fly a minimum 4......."(You get the idea)

My point is I will easily re-qualify and in fact already have (When QF/IB can sort out their systems) whilst the letter from Qantas makes it sound like they are doing me a favour. Should I get a life??:) or should I let them know I think they are being smug? Or more importantly will this be recorded as a comp on their system??? Thanks as always.
Yep. There's more to life than WP Status ;)
 

Shano

Established Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2006
Messages
1,229
Flights
My Map
fmckenzie said:
After being comped for two years for platinum, looks like am missing out this year, even though only 300 to go, and only 100 credits planned in August.

I have 31 August validity date, but usually receive the letter by early July. So obviously a change of policy by qantas:mad:
I was comp'd last year with only 860 SC, but qualified for WP the previous year with 1,900 SC. Unlikely to get to 1,200 SC by next May and would be very surprised if I get comp'd two years in a row.

How many SC did you earn the years you were comp'd? Let us know what happens at the end of the month, and welcome to AFF.
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
garyjohn951 said:
Ok, can see the AA advantage if you fly AA, but his posts did seem to be complaining about not being "comp" to WP and in others not be able to use F lounges
"He can't have his cake and eat it too." He has choosen one route I would have done another, when all said and done, unless you know you are flying 365 days out it is difficult touse points on award J flights unless you want to go to a backward country.
Fair points - not accessing F lounge has been the biggest pain of the AA program to this point. I am taking the benefit of AA and have had to take the pain as well. It is more frustration than wanting my cake and to eat it as well. I should only get status if I have earned it.

The one interesting thing for me is that I will have credited points to QF (intentionally and not) this year that would be as many SCs as other people have done and been comped. I dont mind either way but I am thinking of earning status in both programs.

I am lucky that I do know when I want to fly 330 days out and that is one thing that has driven this trip. I do not fly much for pleasure given the amount of lying I am doing for business - so big trips planned long ahead are the go for me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
81,209
Messages
1,872,016
Members
49,041
Latest member
pton1310
Top