QANTAS redemption rates | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

QANTAS redemption rates

bob342

At the moment I get the majority of points from my Credit Card spend and the odd business class trip to Asia, Europe or the US (probably only once every 18 months).

I was looking at getting a QANTAS CC and aligning myself QANTAS, I like flying with them, and it would be kinda nice to not have to do the 'do you take amex' dance anymore.

I went onto the QANTAS website and punched in some dates in August and September next year to see what the reward flight situation in business was - it was abysmal. The dates I punched in had no availability with QANTAS at all. I tried about 4 different dates and the closet was QANTAS to HK and then Cathay to London....on the way back the options were bad.

Went onto Singapore air, bam - flights to London and back with Singapore - first go, no issues. 232k points.....If I did find a flight with QANTAS it would have cost 50k more points!

Other than just having a rant, I want to know if is this pretty typical? It seems like it would be POINTLESS to align with QANTAS for reward flights if the redemption rates are awful. I'm never going to be platinum (sometimes I get gold) so any preferential reward flights are simply not going to happen.

Bell21

That seems pretty typical to me - btw, not only the points you reference, but the fuel surcharges on QF too also make it a not overly attractive to use points with them (but good to have QF as one option in your toolkit)

bob342

Thanks. I think I'm leaning to just sticking with the AMEX and just transferring the points to the airline at the time. Would be nice to have consolidated onto one card though :(

Bell21

It's really the best way to do things IMO - then you have multiple airlines to consider although probably that's a bit dependent on your card choices - if you an Amex plat, then you can transfer to qf or others as suits - if you don't have AMEX plat, then it can be handy to have both a qf and non-qf earning card to give yourself options if your spend allows for it --- I know it's a bit more work. Sq is a useful program to have access to esp if travelling with more than one

RichardMEL

Established Member
AFF Supporter
All good points above and a good strategy.. but also of course with QF status helps to unlock reward availabiloity. If you have little or no status then the pickings will indeed be slim.

AFF on Air Podcast

• HARS (Historic Aircraft Restoration Society) – AIR023
    Sat, 02 Nov 2019 13:24:03 AEDT
      The Historic Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) boasts a collection of over 60 aircraft, including a retired Qantas 747, Super Constellation and DC-3s. John Travolta's Bo ...
  • “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...
  • Are Loyalty Programs a Scam? – AIR020
    Sat, 21 Sep 2019 08:36:18 AEST
      The ACCC recently released a damning draft report into Australian loyalty schemes, calling out practices that it says may shock consumers and putting loyalty program opera ...
  • Air Chathams – AIR019
    Sat, 07 Sep 2019 16:41:06 AEST
      With less than two weeks until the upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer changes, now is the time to make any last-minute Classic Flight Reward bookings! In this episode, Matt ch ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annterena