Qantas Promos for 20th Birthday of F/Flyer | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Qantas Promos for 20th Birthday of F/Flyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

markis10

Veteran Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2004
Messages
30,091
Last edited:

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,095
markis10 said:
Also noticed the points earning capability for Sydney Airport Duty Free, must have missed it in a newsletter, makes the 20% voucher even sweeter:
Does anyone know when SYD Airport Tax and duty free became a partner of the QFF program?
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,259
Flights
My Map
I believe from Today ... at least that's the first I had heard of it.

There was no mention of ff points in the August FF Holidays Newsletter promoting the 15% off voucher: Bookings - Holidays - Red Email Exclusive Duty Free

I'm sure if points were to be earned back than it would have been to the forefront of the blurb.

Also, there's a 1 Million point promotion mentioned in the months Australian Way.
 
Last edited:

TonyD

Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2007
Messages
161
Flights
My Map
The 20th birthday promo has prompted the trivia buff in me. Along the lines a few months ago of "who has the lowest number?".
I just dont recall FF exsisting that long ago. I am sure as an Aust Air Flight Deck member in 1989 they didnt have it ??. Also I remember a Qantas exec. in Fiji told me in 1992 ( the year of the AA&Q merge) that with many trips on Qantas - you could have your ticket endorsed as a CIP (commercially Important Person) - So me thunks that FF wasn't around with them either ??

Qantas.com doesnt list FF in its history page either: About Qantas - Our Company - History - Qantas Through the Years

So does soemone out there know what the deal was back then and how it was run - pre Internet of course:confused: Cheers TD
 

Brettmcg

Active Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2006
Messages
839
Flights
My Map
TonyD said:
So does soemone out there know what the deal was back then and how it was run - pre Internet of course:confused: Cheers TD
I can't give you pre-internet info, but I can show you what the Qantas/QFF websites looked like back in 1997.

Qantas Airways Limited

Makes for interesting reading.
 

TonyD

Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2007
Messages
161
Flights
My Map
Cheers - what a cool site!
It got the grey matter working. Back then it was a 3 tier system and Silver meant something! I now recall being given (& still have) an overnight back with a FF logo just for going Silver - would have been in '94.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,792
Flights
My Map
Qantas and Australian Airlines both had their own programs before the merger. The Qantas program was pretty basic in the early days, but they did have the Captains Lounge at most Australian international airports. Just when they started that I don't know, but my first visit was in 1989. I don't know if the Captains Lounge was only for J/F passengers or if there was a paid membership available at that time.

I joined Australian Airlines FF program in Sept 1991, which I believe was not too long after the FF program commenced. Flight Deck pre-dated the FF program by several years, providing lounge access but no FF "bank account" as such.

I assume it is either the Qantas Captains Lounge or Flight Deck that commenced on 1987 rather than a true FF program as such.
 

TonyD

Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2007
Messages
161
Flights
My Map
NM said:
I assume it is either the Qantas Captains Lounge or Flight Deck that commenced on 1987 rather than a true FF program as such.
I think you may be right there.
My Dad told me he was a "QT" Qantas Traveller - in the 70's. This gave him access to the Captains Lounge but he mostly travelled J then. As a Y passenger upgrades were frequent and almost expected. In fact he remembers getting newsletters saying the priveldge would be withdrawn if people didnt stop demanding them! Dejavu!!
OT
Ironically before the merge, as a FD member, if I flew Air Pacific we had reciprical access but not is we were on a QF.
In the early days of QC we were also allowed access without travelling and until much later unlimited quests, so long as you had passess. Record was 17 (on a sunday morn.) ! - imagine the pack if that was the case now:shock:
 

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,648
Flights
My Map
NM said:
Qantas and Australian Airlines both had their own programs before the merger. The Qantas program was pretty basic in the early days, but they did have the Captains Lounge at most Australian international airports. Just when they started that I don't know, but my first visit was in 1989. I don't know if the Captains Lounge was only for J/F passengers or if there was a paid membership available at that time.

I joined Australian Airlines FF program in Sept 1991, which I believe was not too long after the FF program commenced. Flight Deck pre-dated the FF program by several years, providing lounge access but no FF "bank account" as such.

I assume it is either the Qantas Captains Lounge or Flight Deck that commenced on 1987 rather than a true FF program as such.
Apparently its still called the Captains Lounge in ADL (just ask CX: Cathay Pacific - At The Airport : Lounges) :)
 

bambbbam2

Active Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
857
While we are sitting round the campfire talkin bout the good ol days, I remember a Thrifty promo in prob 96 where I had a Telstra/Qantas Visa and the points with bonuses worked out to earn 5 plus 8 extra bonus so 13 qff points per dollar.

Those were the days!
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,792
Flights
My Map
bambbbam2 said:
While we are sitting round the campfire talkin bout the good ol days, I remember a Thrifty promo in prob 96 where I had a Telstra/Qantas Visa and the points with bonuses worked out to earn 5 plus 8 extra bonus so 13 qff points per dollar.

Those were the days!
Yep, I used that one too. It worked in that if it was not for that promotion I am sure I wuld not have been using Thrifty.
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,095
It appears that Qantas had a good FF program back in the 1990's. I notice earning FF points/km (not mile) for flights, car hire at 8 FF points/$ spent and other partners with FF points earning more generous than today.

Enhancements to the QFF program have taken their toll....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
81,222
Messages
1,872,424
Members
49,054
Latest member
Danieljdk
Top